1 2
PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
11/11/09 2:15 p.m.

The throbbing brain of GRM knows all. So, riddle me this:

How would you remove a ruptured D cell from a mag light? From what I can see the chemicals seeped out and formed a seal which is holding the battery tight to the wall of the flashlight. I've bashed it as hard as I think I can bash without damaging the body of the flashlight. It's the middle cell of a three cell light.

Suggestions?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
11/11/09 2:18 p.m.

Remove ego, replace Maglight.

Kidding

A wet solution of baking soda poured in should help remove oxidization and heavy banging should allow it to move.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
11/11/09 2:26 p.m.

+1 Baking soda and water.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/11/09 2:27 p.m.

Shotgun? Torch (blue wrench)?

Can you take the other end off and push the batteries through? Dent puller? New Maglight?

Or, if you know what brand batteries are in there, mail the thing to the battery company and they'll replace it. You know they bank on people not mailing their appliances in when the batteries do that.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork

+3

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork

Slide hammer w/screw.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/11/09 3:46 p.m.

Add lightness. Drill holes through the exploded battery until there are no longer internal forces squishing it against the walls of the light. It should press out a lot easier after that.

This assumes that you've got everything else removed from the housing (both ends open) and the battery is indeed already exploded, otherwise this method would be a bad idea.

Bryce

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/11/09 3:56 p.m.

I've had that happen as well, except mine was a 2 D model, and both of them exploded. It took close to an hour to get the first one out, the second one is still in there. I was thinking slide hammer to get this one out, but I haven't tried yet.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
11/11/09 3:57 p.m.

Oh yeah, and to those of you that had suggestions based on both ends being open, they're not. At least in my case, only one end opens.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
11/11/09 4:09 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Remove ego, replace Maglight.

Happened to me too, and after about an hour of fussing with it, I followed John's advice.

As far as I could tell, there was no way to access the tube from the "lightbulb end".

At some point (in my case, about an hour) it ceased to be a challenge and the $20 vs. time necessary to figure it out decision was made.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
11/11/09 4:24 p.m.

Can you pull the bulb? I'd fill it full of hair spray and throw a match down the hole where the bulb used to be. Hold away from your face.

Video the results. My name is Dr. Hess in real life. Send the lawyer to Dr. Hess.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
11/11/09 4:28 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Can you pull the bulb? I'd fill it full of hair spray and throw a match down the hole where the bulb used to be. Hold away from your face. Video the results. My name is Dr. Hess in real life. Send the lawyer to Dr. Hess.

Oh great, now we are going to be on both a Hezzbollah and FBI hot list.

WE ARE NOT MAKING IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICES, nothing to see here.

thedude
thedude Reader
11/11/09 5:47 p.m.

turn it into an improvised explosive device in order to attract the fbi who might help you get the battery out

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
11/11/09 6:02 p.m.

Replace Mag with a real flashlight, preferably something with lithium ion cells, then complain when one blows :p

I used to buy Mags, then bought a real flashlight. All Mags are good for is an impromptu baseball game.

This will honestly help. http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/showthread.php?t=3440

That will show you how to disassemble the light so you can push through.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
11/11/09 6:17 p.m.

Considering they're ALKALINE batteries, baking soda probably won't do too much.

Try vinegar.

Shawn

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
11/11/09 6:25 p.m.
VanillaSky wrote: Replace Mag with a real flashlight, preferably something with lithium ion cells, then complain when one blows :p I used to buy Mags, then bought a real flashlight. All Mags are good for is an impromptu baseball game.

I know this isn't any help, but +1

I lost two maglites in a year and gave up on them. Bought a surefire, and couldn't be any happier. Real flashlights are worth the money, IMHO.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
11/11/09 6:31 p.m.

I had a battery die in my maglight, I put water and baking soda in which buggered either a switch or connector. I tried pulling it a part but there is a damn circlip about 6inches into the thing I couldn't remove. I said to hell with it, took the bulbs and donated the hull to the goodwill. That works good because someone buys it for 1$ finds out it doesn't work, then redonates it and the cycle continues.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
11/11/09 7:16 p.m.

Work in even the toughest situations

The light bulb end WILL unscrew off, just keep twisting and pulling. Jack handle, pops right out other end.....

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
11/11/09 7:21 p.m.

I had to pitch one of the big daddy 5 cell ones once because the battery swole up like that. I'd had it for years; sure hated to part with it..

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
11/11/09 7:40 p.m.

I do wish I had a 7 cell. They stopped making those in the 80's, though.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/11/09 7:50 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Considering they're ALKALINE batteries, baking soda probably won't do too much. Try vinegar. Shawn

Up until your post, I was scratching my head for most of this thread on that one.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/11/09 7:52 p.m.
VanillaSky wrote: I do wish I had a 7 cell. They stopped making those in the 80's, though.

Too many were used to impart blunt force trauma.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
11/11/09 8:52 p.m.

Why bother with blunt force when you can just stab them? http://www.surefire.com/6P-Defender

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
11/11/09 8:53 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
VanillaSky wrote: I do wish I had a 7 cell. They stopped making those in the 80's, though.
Too many were used to impart blunt force trauma.

Being a heavy fighter in the SCA, take armor and rattan clubs and try not to get hit while trying ti hit the other guy, I have known and known of some cops that had to try real hard to remember not to use the 7 cell as a weapon.

VanillaSky
VanillaSky Reader
11/11/09 9:00 p.m.

The irony is that cops for the most part don't carry Mags anymore because much more durable and far brighter lights are available that fit in your pocket.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e2PFulPSaBuTa3dtPrvgMo4Ur1yueazrayYtQb2Ka0uwFY9gtUlgbfVVSclFaUSD