bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
6/18/11 4:04 p.m.

Over the last two years my civic has not seen much use, new bushings and shocks had the car sidelined for a while as I didn't have much time on my hands between school and work. Finally I am trying to use the car again as a dd. When I first started driving the car again about a year ago, I noticed the tachometer was reading low. Based on speed and memory, the tach is about 20-25% off. 3000 actual RPMs is 2500 indicated RPMs, Rev Limiter is 7500ish RPMs but is kicking in at an indicated 5400 RPMs. I have inspected all the consumables (wires, plugs, cap, and rotor) and everything looks good, Disassembled the distributor and cleaned all of the electrical contacts in it and the underhood wiring harness. Problem still persists, I am not ruling out a bad cluster, but the other problem which manifested at the same time makes me think otherwise.

The major problem which has actually has me concerned is what seems like a spark related miss under load. If I am driving around and am running low RPMs, and try to accelerate the car misses heavily. If I let up on the pedal the problem goes away. This seems to be spark rather than fuel because it just produces very little power like it falls flat. Beyond this problem the car idols fine, will pull to the limiter (while burning a little oil), and is still returning 30 plus MPG. No check engine light BTW.

Now why I want to fix it. I have a Miata which is in much better mechanical shape and I trust it more. The civic will be seeing very limited duty. The car is not in great shape appearance wise, but is mechanically sound (minus this problem). I would like to get between $1200-1500 out of it, but these problems would scare me as a buyer, so I would like to do my best to fix it. Thanks in advance.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/19/11 9:50 a.m.

A new distributor probably fixes whatever it is.

Ojala
Ojala New Reader
6/19/11 10:31 a.m.

^^^ What he said. I think that your problems might be related. A miss under load can be caused by a bad distributor. The other thing that leads me to think that its the distributor is the tach. Its been a few years but isnt the sender, igniter, or whatever its called for the tach in the distributor?

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
6/19/11 4:25 p.m.

yep

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
6/19/11 6:19 p.m.

The distributor going bad was what I believed was the problem, just looking for some affirmations of that conclusion. To those who probably know better than me just replace the igniter or the whole distributor?

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
6/19/11 6:55 p.m.

whole distributor... at the autoadvancepepo'reily parts houses you get life time warranty ... (if reman you might need the warranty )

to bad it doesn't use the same one as the '91 CRX I could help you out

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/19/11 7:47 p.m.

There are a few things that can go wrong, and back when the only option was a $600 Honda unit it was worthwhile to chase down the demons. With there now being $100 options, I prefer to replace the whole thing just because there are several weak points.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FHA3fce6pqRPa0dPr0ftZfnCPHcAAbSGVb5gRGEms1q1HTnk1d9trryDrphB2pBi