1 2
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/31/22 9:24 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

People still race horses. Few use them daily. Its fine. 

True, but horse racing as an industry has been waning for decades. Tracks and breeding farms are closing all over the country. 

If we as a whole have 100 years before the decline, I'm not so worried about it. Even if gasoline doesn't survive, there will always be alcohol and nitro cool

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/22 10:09 a.m.

From what I see of the younger crowd, at least around here, is they are more concerned with making as much HP as they can and doing "roll races" on the highway late at night after traffic clears. 

I guess the fact they are doing something illegal heightens the excitement for them? But getting on a straight, poorly lit highway and racing from 50-140+ seems really boring. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
10/31/22 11:01 a.m.

What you have access to, and what you're "injection point" is, also matters. I'm a late bloomer and didn't think much about cars until I saw Fury Road past 24, for instance.  Now I just wanna build stuff outta junk, and that's how I found about the $2,000 challenge laugh

I can easily see why they're looking at bikes and scooters instead of cars. It's not just because it's a cheaper and easier way to move people, or even friendlier to the environment- they're just cheaper and easier to get into as well. EBike circles are full of people who got a frame for free from the trash, snagged a 110v flux core or inverter stick welder from Harbor Freight, and started hacking metal apart; no need for jacks, or stands, or a big garage.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
10/31/22 2:02 p.m.
z31maniac said:

From what I see of the younger crowd, at least around here, is they are more concerned with making as much HP as they can and doing "roll races" on the highway late at night after traffic clears. 

I guess the fact they are doing something illegal heightens the excitement for them? But getting on a straight, poorly lit highway and racing from 50-140+ seems really boring. 

We have some of that element around here, but it's not as strong as it once was. Mostly dumb kids in Altimas, Accords, and G35's doing that on one of our local highways. And it can happen at any time, any day. I've seen it at rush hour as well as in the middle of the night.

But again, that's nothing new; kids were doing that when I was that age too, but with Fox Mustangs, MN12 Thunderbirds, GTI's, and Maximas. In fact, there were illegal street races in a nearby town on an access road behind a mall every Saturday night for years. It probably dated back to the 60's at that location, and it got shut down for good when I was in my 20's. A lot of that crowd migrated over to the Stance/VIP stuff, and you can't go fast on a New England Aggro Crag road when you have to slow down to 1 mph and possibly deploy planks of plywood to take a turn into a parking lot. wink

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/31/22 4:22 p.m.
nocones said:
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

the third is putting a diesel engine in a Honda Goldwing.

You can't just say something like that..   It's time for your Third to learn about the "Build thread"

When it gets to that stage I will be sure to post. He has the motor and the goldwing so its a start. He is working over 60 hours a week and about to take two weeks off to do a lipstick overhaul of his pickup. I will post some pics of that too. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/31/22 4:26 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:
z31maniac said:

We have some of that element around here, but it's not as strong as it once was. Mostly dumb kids in Altimas, Accords, and G35's doing that on one of our local highways. And it can happen at any time, any day. I've seen it at rush hour as well as in the middle of the night.

But again, that's nothing new; kids were doing that when I was that age too, but with Fox Mustangs, MN12 Thunderbirds, GTI's, and Maximas. In fact, there were illegal street races in a nearby town on an access road behind a mall every Saturday night for years. It probably dated back to the 60's at that location, and it got shut down for good when I was in my 20's. A lot of that crowd migrated over to the Stance/VIP stuff, and you can't go fast on a New England Aggro Crag road when you have to slow down to 1 mph and possibly deploy planks of plywood to take a turn into a parking lot. wink

Around here it's guy in 600hp FR-S, 700hp Supra's and GT-Rs, Supercharged Mustangs and that stuff. 

That one street racing outlaws they shot here for a few seasons I'm sure didn't help. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0XG76wJHN17nZO1IiW40NUWIPRg4l2M8cEAHHp9Pj5lbaADxJVbWH5gbMztqj5ln