1 2 3
carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/29/17 3:14 p.m.

A friend from Houston just told me that 90% of all "origin" gas was now out of production so she recommends filling up now and driving as little as possible as gas prices skyrocket.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/29/17 3:21 p.m.

Tis true, they are some of our customers. There have been efforts to move build new ones in other parts of the country, but those moves have always been blocked for various reasons. It seems to me that keeping them all near one another is somewhat of a national risk. Anyway, hope all of our customers there are OK.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/29/17 3:33 p.m.

I predict that very soon the novelty and joy of driving my newly acquired '01 Mistubishi Montero will wear off (15mpg on premium) and I will again see the merits and joy of my '07 Prius (45+mpg on cheap swill)

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
8/29/17 3:36 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah... I'm glad I filled the Riv's 16+ gallon tank up with the premium it's blower requires (though it does get 20+ MPG at least) a few days ago. Hopefully will have the regular-swilling Grand Cherokee drivable shortly as well- but if things get bad, that's what the 90+ MPG scooter is for.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
8/29/17 3:40 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Tis true, they are some of our customers. There have been efforts to move build new ones in other parts of the country, but those moves have always been blocked for various reasons. It seems to me that keeping them all near one another is somewhat of a national risk. Anyway, hope all of our customers there are OK.

Blocked due to the fact that they produce evil fossil fuel derived products...not moonbeams,butterfly wings or my favorite...unicorn farts that smell like roses. That and the enviros have the NIMBY game goin' on, but will gladly drink bottled water. This area, my lively hood(EPC)is being quietly destroyed by globalism.....so as a result Y'all are gonna pay..and me too. Margie I'm sorry ,but this nonsense has got to stop...I'll go sit in my corner.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
8/29/17 3:45 p.m.

I did a customized compare on fueleconomy.gov

Assuming: regular at $2.36 and premium at $2.86
To drive the Montero 15k miles = $3,050
To drive the Prius 15k miles = $750
Montero is $2,300 more expensive

Assuming: regular at $3.36 and premium at $3.86
To drive the Montero 15k miles = $4,150
To drive the Prius 15k miles = $1,100
Montero is $3,050 more expensive

Assuming: regular at $4.36 and premium at $4.86
To drive the Montero 15k miles = $5,200
To drive the Prius 15k miles = $1,400
Montero is $3,800 more expensive

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/29/17 3:45 p.m.

I have a 1/4 tank left, and I filled up almost a month ago. The BRZ isn't a gas sipper, but working from home and having a short commute when I don't is gold.

I buy a house Friday and I should be driving less than 40 miles per week including errands.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/29/17 3:49 p.m.

The refineries seem to have been largely spared. There will be a blip in production, but nothing too serious. Look at gasoline futures today, up 5%. Prices will rise, but most of that will be opportunistic, not driven by fundamentals.
Offshore production is a much smaller piece of the pie than in the past, and most of that is back online already. In fact, we have so much oil in storage that a couple weeks off would be welcome. Houston is the center of the oil industry from a business standpoint but that affects actual production much less than you'd imagine.
On the other hand, 50 million people all deciding they need to top up their tanks across the country, well, THAT would cause a problem.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/29/17 3:57 p.m.

10 EM PEE GEE'S right now means I need to suck it up and ride the bike more whether the shoulder hurts or not.

At current prices the truck costs $40/ week to drive, the bike $10/week. For 35 weeks of ridable weather, thats $1000+ a year.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/29/17 4:01 p.m.
Blocked due to the fact that they produce evil fossil fuel derived products...not moonbeams,butterfly wings or my favorite...unicorn farts that smell like roses. That and the enviros have the NIMBY game goin' on, but will gladly drink bottled water

You don't have to be any kind of crazy or extreme to not want a refinery in your backyard. A perfectly reasonable person could be reasonably assumed to not want a refinery in their backyard. The problem of people not wanting refineries built near them over totally valid concerns is not primarily about political leanings.

But, either way you can't just blame citizens for refineries not getting built. Look what happened with the Dakota Access Pipeline. Even with a VERY CLEAR rejection of the idea by citizens all over the country (it wasn't even their backyard) and the imminent threat of violence day after day for months and months.. It still got built. It even survived a Democratic presidential administration (far, far from liberal, but Democrat). So when something like the DAP can get built in spite of THAT kind of resistance, you can't blame the resistance for oil infrastructure not getting built. Big money will pay government to let them take whatever they want. If something didn't get built, it's because whoever wanted it didn't want it enough. It's very clear that there's little in the way of democratic resistance that can guarantee to stop it.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
8/29/17 4:11 p.m.

I.B.T.L.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/29/17 5:06 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: Blocked due to the fact that they produce evil fossil fuel derived products...not moonbeams,butterfly wings or my favorite...unicorn farts that smell like roses. That and the enviros have the NIMBY game goin' on, but will gladly drink bottled water. This area, my lively hood(EPC)is being quietly destroyed by globalism.....so as a result Y'all are gonna pay..and me too. Margie I'm sorry ,but this nonsense has got to stop...I'll go sit in my corner.

Damn dude. Take a break, eat a snickers.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/29/17 5:20 p.m.

US has about a 20 day supply on hand and another 20 days in strategic reserve. It will be fine. ~0.15-0.25c a gallon over the next couple months is not going to hurt to bad.

My shippers are already talking about addendum to contracts.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
8/29/17 5:26 p.m.

Gas gets expensive, then it gets cheap again. I need it, so I buy it. It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about anymore. It is what it is.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
8/29/17 5:59 p.m.

It amazing that the gas stations raised their prices 20 cents as Harvey was making landfall. It always goes up fast and takes forever to go back down...

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
8/29/17 6:16 p.m.

no bro...I don't need a berkin candy bar!!! I need some serious common sense coming from those charged with moving this great nation forward ....peace out BRO....somewhere in SOCAL

pheller
pheller PowerDork
8/29/17 6:22 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Gas gets expensive, then it gets cheap again. I need it, so I buy it. It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about anymore. It is what it is.

Right. I can't do anything about fuel prices, but I can do something about how much I use.

Only in America do we seem to buy vehicles and only consider their efficiency when fuel prices are high. Toyota has been lucky with the Tundra and fuel prices. They haven't updated it's fuel efficiency...ever, and it they still sells like hotcakes. If I was buying a new 2018 truck I'd demand it get better than 20mpg. The 06 Tundra I just bought gets 17mpg highway. I knew that going in. If gas goes up to $4/gal then I'll just drive it less or pick up a cheap economy car for daily excursions.

I'm not going to change my vote from political party to the other based on fuel costs, because if the last decade has told us anything, politics plays little-to-no factor in fuel costs.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
8/29/17 6:23 p.m.

What I have heard and I did work for a major oil company for 24 years is the refinery capacity in the effected area totals from 15-20% of the US total. Some of it is down but not all. The real problem may not be the refineries themselves but the workers as the can't get to work or stay away trying to recover from the flooding. There is the ability to import refined product like gasoline to offset the loss of production but then getting the fuel to where it's needed can be an issue due to the limited capacity of the pipelines to move it. The oil is there, it's the refinery production that will be most affected by the flooding.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
8/29/17 6:27 p.m.

At least it will be temporary for everyone else. There's talk of yet another $0.50/gallon state tax increase here in PA to attempt to balance the state budget. Because when you pay the most gas tax in the country, dammit you need the record high gas tax.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/29/17 7:37 p.m.

Gas near me jumped from $1.93 to $1.99 today. The gas stations said to expect it to get as high as $2.35 in the next week.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
8/29/17 8:07 p.m.
pheller wrote: Only in America do we seem to buy vehicles and only consider their efficiency when fuel prices are high.

Probably because your highest prices are lower than most of the rest of the world's lowest prices.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent Reader
8/29/17 8:31 p.m.

I wouldn't mind a jump in gas prices if it keeps a good handful of trucks, vans, and mini-vans off the road. Getting tired of my view of the road consisting of little more than the back of a mini-van and a handful if bumper stickers praising their kid's prowess at soccer. My car's fairly low and gets great milage, nice to see the road hogs suffer a bit for their hubris.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/29/17 8:33 p.m.

Maybe in your part of the world, but we need our trucks in Texas!! And my truck gets as good a gas mileage as most cars.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/29/17 11:09 p.m.

I don't even know what the dakota gets mpg wise. I thought the fuel gauge was broken until I found out the tank is 5 gallons smaller than I thought it was.

Not caring about mileage is probably a side effect of driving a 3/4 ton ram with a 360 in 04/05 when prices first started jumping up. Best I managed in that thing was 18 on the highway. Still not sure how.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/30/17 7:49 a.m.
pheller wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote: Gas gets expensive, then it gets cheap again. I need it, so I buy it. It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about anymore. It is what it is.
Right. I can't do anything about fuel prices, but I can do something about how much I use. Only in America do we seem to buy vehicles and only consider their efficiency when fuel prices are high. Toyota has been lucky with the Tundra and fuel prices. They haven't updated it's fuel efficiency...ever, and it they still sells like hotcakes. If I was buying a new 2018 truck I'd demand it get better than 20mpg. The 06 Tundra I just bought gets 17mpg highway. I knew that going in. If gas goes up to $4/gal then I'll just drive it less or pick up a cheap economy car for daily excursions. I'm not going to change my vote from political party to the other based on fuel costs, because if the last decade has told us anything, politics plays little-to-no factor in fuel costs.

3 mpg, over the course of a year is what? A few hundred dollars for most people?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VUrpXAtnCWBsPa9QNsc2JJ3qfQTU4JOTidbnxXEQMGfM2tNxmj7m9GsV44XkdR3t