1 2
bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 7:32 a.m.

Well now that you're here, you might just be a sucker. Anyways, I need floor mats for my TVR. Since they don't make them, I'm hoping you guys can help me figure out what might fit. Length isn't really an issue, But they need to be as close to 18" wide as possible. Anyone know the dimensions of mats for say a Miata, MG, Triumph, etc...?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/26/09 8:42 a.m.

Make a cardboard pattern then buy some big, QUALITY floormats in the texture you like. Take the pattern and mats to a carpet shop and have them "trimmed and edged"

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/26/09 8:48 a.m.

For that matter.. you can take the templates to a carpet shop or upulstry and see about having them custom made

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 8:58 a.m.

Thanks, those are good suggestions. I'm just looking to spruce the car up a little to sell it, so I was looking for a cheap and easy way of getting some mats, thinking that maybe mats for another car might fit reasonably well.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/26/09 9:18 a.m.

... resisting urge to call you joe...

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 9:19 a.m.

That went right by me.

minimac
minimac Dork
2/26/09 9:43 a.m.

Pretend to be joedashinyhappy guy and people will read your rant....I mean post!

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/26/09 9:47 a.m.

And then not listen to us ;)

I am playing, and you know we love you.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 9:55 a.m.

Well my original question was asking for existing mats that might work.... <----That's Joe Cool, BTW

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/26/09 10:00 a.m.

MG mats are very long and narrow. They might just work. I think getting carpet bound will probably end up cheaper and look better, though.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 10:06 a.m.

I guess I was thinking that getting custom ones made would be more expensive. Any idea what something like that might cost?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/26/09 10:22 a.m.

It's been a long time since I've looked into it, but as I recall it was somewhere in the 20-buck range, with the carpets already cut.

TJ
TJ Reader
2/26/09 11:01 a.m.

Not sure if this will work on everytone or not, but I've read this thread twice already so I think the topic title is a pretty good attention grabber....at least for the easily distracted/amused.

When I am looking for floor mats, I usually have really good luck at finding free used ones at the local autocross...people just seem to take them out of their cars and toss them on the pavement. Sometimes you can even find extra sets of wheels/tires there too.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/26/09 11:07 a.m.

Well hopefully BR understands fully that it is not the post title (awesome) or the question (good one) or even the not listening to us (hell, we don't) but rather we hate him because he has a TVR and we have VW Beetles...

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 11:18 a.m.

Ahem, I have two TVR's.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
2/26/09 11:27 a.m.

Well, you got me to read it, but I think I now know who stole my floor mats (thankfully, they didn't take my wheels and tires), so I can't tell you how wide the floor mats in a Miata are.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/26/09 11:32 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Ahem, I have two TVR's.

Dick, I have TWO beetles

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/26/09 11:45 a.m.

I had a beetle once. Just one, not two.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
2/26/09 11:48 a.m.

got a sewing machine? just get some cheap heavy duty rugs and sew a cap over the edges after you trim them to fit.

TJ
TJ Reader
2/26/09 1:58 p.m.

Dammit! This is like the new ignore thread....I can't stop reading it...

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
2/27/09 10:09 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I really hadn't thought about making them myself or having a shop do it. I'll have to look into that. I have to admit that, considering what board this is, that I'd get at least one response involving a Miata! But since I didn't, I'll ask - Does anyone know if Miata mats would fit in this car? Is my laziness showing? I would be more into making the mats if I wasn't so busy chasing down electrical gremlins! Damn British cars!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/27/09 10:10 a.m.

I suspect Miata mats will be too wide and too short. They're definitely shorter and wider than MGB mats

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
2/27/09 12:12 p.m.

I bought the big winter mats from Sams Club and cut them to fit, Any rubber mat can be trimmed pretty easily.

Another cheapo option are carpet samples. These are little rectangles of carpet that are thrown away when the carpet store no longer carries that style.

You can also look at Lowe's in their doormat section for something that fits.

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
2/27/09 4:06 p.m.

If you said "TVR" in the title, I would have looked at this post much earlier...

walterj
walterj Dork
2/27/09 4:45 p.m.

How much for the TVR without floor mats?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvaKPR4W6bFbLaKOB4vQRz4ZdPGSQzBxpgOkKWPSuPb9IXhVHzzYkCav94Nqfm5R