1 2 3 4
BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
4/2/14 6:24 p.m.

Stories like this never cease to amaze me. In this day and age I wonder why they don't just fess up and fix it (assuming things are as they appear)?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/2/14 6:26 p.m.

I am curious about the Bondo.. how much did they slather in?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
4/2/14 6:27 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I am curious about the Bondo.. how much did they slather in?

Yeah, I suspect someone at the shop was having a little bit too much fun, and got in a bit of a wreck, and the paint job was to cover it up.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/2/14 6:32 p.m.

Repainting a car after only tasked to remove emblems is a huge leap. Gotta go w/ the car was damaged by their shop and they're playing cover-up.

Good luck.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
4/2/14 7:14 p.m.

I would guess just like has been mentioned, the car got taken for a test drive and drifted into a solid object, and after that recent new Camaro incident (among others), someone thought that maybe you wouldn't notice or care about a cheap paint job.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/2/14 7:17 p.m.

A desperate situation likely caused desperate decisions.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/2/14 7:18 p.m.

Lawyer up. Show him the report you have. Tell him you only want what is fair and to cover his fees. Do what he tells you.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/2/14 7:24 p.m.

Yeah, I wouldn't keep messing around with these guys. Get a lawyer....

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
4/2/14 7:49 p.m.

Did they have to fill holes when shaving the emblems? I'm assuming if these were stick on emblems the car never would have went to a body shop. If they did need to fill the holes, then I'm guessing they were authorized to use something to fill the holes and blend the paint in that area. I guess I'm curious as to what the original work order is for and how much the estimate was? I'm also a little surprised you're worried so much about value if they were already shaving emblems, applying filler, blending paint, etc.

That being said if there is now filler in a panel without an emblem that wasn't there before, and the entire car has been repainted, it sounds like someone berkeleyed up in a big way.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/2/14 8:15 p.m.

Any chance that your son is trying to pull one over on you? Sounds like a shop full of dicks, but might have a heart to heart with the kid before you go in guns blazing.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/2/14 8:28 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I've been to the maaco. There were 11 of thier cars there, including a 356 coupe.

Wait, what?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
4/2/14 8:43 p.m.

Sound like the owner of the shop is also the owner of the Macco or some sort of family.

Jarod
Jarod Reader
4/2/14 9:04 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I've been to the maaco. There were 11 of thier cars there, including a 356 coupe. It's the only shop they use. Maaco is saying they did not like the blending job, so they painted the whole car. I'm worried about value because there is a huge difference between selling a car with the emblems removed, and one with a repaint. At this point I've told the shop to meet me at maaco in the morning to discuss the issues. I'm going to sand down the quarter in front of both of them and ask how it got there. I'm guessing if the real story will ever come out, that's when.

I would not sand down to bondo with out consulting with a lawyer. At the very least get it on tape.

Slippery
Slippery HalfDork
4/2/14 9:08 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I'm going to sand down the quarter in front of both of them

I would not do this. Treat the car as if its not yours anymore. Bring the painless dent guy and maybe get the guy that measured the paint to rent you the measuring device, but dont sand down the quarter. Let them deal with the car and its problems.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/2/14 10:05 p.m.

IDK how a S2000 is built, you cant just pull the trunk carpet back and look inside the quarter? I'd say the magnet test is good enough.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
4/2/14 10:13 p.m.

Nothing constructive to offer. Still, sorry to hear about the situation. Keep up posted.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
4/2/14 11:14 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I'll have them sand it if needed. I'm pretty much going to tell them I know there's bondo there, and if they don't believe me, sand it down. I tried sticking a magnet on it and it doesn't stick, I'll bring the magnet.

Magnets don't stick to aluminum bodies!!!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/2/14 11:24 p.m.

I wouldn't sand.

IMO, the best case scenario has you walking with a check for the pre-berkeleyed value, and them dealing with recouping what they can by selling the car.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/2/14 11:34 p.m.
Jay wrote: Magnets don't stick to aluminum bodies!!!

This is a very good point.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
4/2/14 11:35 p.m.
Jay wrote: Magnets don't stick to aluminum bodies!!!

Only the hood and hard top are aluminum on an S2000.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
4/2/14 11:36 p.m.

In reply to Jay:

I thought the S2000 was a steel car aside from the hood?

Furious_E
Furious_E New Reader
4/3/14 5:50 a.m.

Seriously, I would not even talk with these guys again before consulting a lawyer. Cover your own ass as best you can, it could prove to be cheap insurance in the end.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy PowerDork
4/3/14 7:15 a.m.

Yeesh, what a a nightmare. Curious to hear how this turns out. Would definitely contact a lawyer if it hasn't been done already...

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/3/14 8:47 a.m.

LAWYER!

Don't start sanding things, or have them sand things. Just get all the documentation together and get a lawyer. This car will now be worth at least 30% less than an original paint car. Less if there is significant crappy repair work. Get a 3rd party body guy to inspect the suspect quarter and give an assessment of paint job. Go from there based on lawyer's advice.

digdug18
digdug18 Dork
4/3/14 9:00 a.m.

I'm with everyone else, lawyer up, otherwise your gonna get berkeley'd

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a5ydpWhxORbGL1HPuawsXZNatXN4KcdITFxEBcE3b2D5Mk0RwAItIxputRgDb0J8