1 2 3
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
12/19/13 7:12 a.m.

SRT Core: Top line powertrain, no peeled cows, no satnav...

http://www.racer.com/is-less-more-in-the-srt-challenger-core/article/311368/

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
12/19/13 7:16 a.m.

gimme radio delete and dog dish hubcaps

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 7:20 a.m.

All that talk about things they deleted and no before/after curb weight?

I applaud the effort - but I hate the look of those cars too much to even rent one nevermind spend $40k for it.

That powertrain is added to my list of good swap ideas though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/19/13 7:23 a.m.

I'm with GPS on this. It may be fast but it still ain't my idea of cool, although it certainly is a step in the right direction. It's still a bloated pig, even if it is a slightly less ornate one and has rocket boosters strapped to its ass.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
12/19/13 7:30 a.m.

I like it, can't afford it...

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/19/13 7:36 a.m.

I mean, the car hasn't gotten smaller. Still seems like a boat to me. Why not put that motor in something smaller?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/19/13 7:39 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: All that talk about things they deleted and no before/after curb weight? I applaud the effort - but I hate the look of those cars too much to even rent one nevermind spend $40k for it. That powertrain is added to my list of good swap ideas though.

A 6 spd Challenger SRT weighs 4253 lbs. Would the difference really matter?

Besides, I get the impression the stripped down version is more to save costs than weight.

That said, looking at the current SRT site, the base MSRP of the Challenger is just over $40K. For as much stuff as they're taking out, I'd be more enthused about a mid-30's base price for the "Core" version.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/19/13 7:45 a.m.
Ian F wrote: A 6 spd Challenger SRT weighs 4253 lbs.

!!!! Holy crap. My V8 Tundra weighed about that and was a 4x4 with a huge steel push bar/deer smasher on the front, all steel class 4 hitch, off-road skid plates, nerf bars, all the luxury leather bells and whistles and big silly tires.

Are they using Time Lord Technology on that Chrysler to gain weight?

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/19/13 8:13 a.m.

I dunno, a Tundra must weigh 4,800 plus, maybe over 5,000 with all the add ons.

Anyway, I was excited when I read "less is more" I thought they were reducing the weight too...sounds like just the price. It would take a LOT of work to get the Challenger to a respectable weight though...and if it doesn't start with a "3" just forget it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/19/13 8:14 a.m.

The Challenger is a good lookin' car for sure, it's my favorite of the retro muscle cars. (On that subject: Chevy, you BLEW it with the Camaro.) But yes it is a bloated heavy pig. The SRT version curb weight is supposed to be 4082 pounds, for comparison my Trooper's curb weight is supposed to be 4275 pounds.

FWIW, a Tundra V8 4x4 is supposed to weigh in around 5675 pounds, a Hemi Ram 4x4 5739.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/19/13 8:18 a.m.

this could be the next collectors car in 30 years.. who is going to spend almost as much money for a car with less stuff?

Storz
Storz Dork
12/19/13 8:21 a.m.

Reading the specs I should love that car, but I just can't get into it because of the looks

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/19/13 8:24 a.m.

Here's a picture of one next to an NSX for perspective. It's not a small car:

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/19/13 8:27 a.m.

With 500 pounds off the curb weight (loose the back seat, the trunk spoiler, trunk carpeting, engine covers, etc etc etc) throw on some steelies, replace the inner pair of headlights with screened openings, and put the price at $35K and you'd have a winner.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork

as usual mopar, fair idea, E36 M3ty execution

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork

I like that they're doing it and there are some guys who are going to be really happy with it, but the car is just so big. I drive by a couple of them every day. So huge.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/19/13 8:30 a.m.

Why couldn't they do something like this to the R/T model?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
12/19/13 8:31 a.m.

You guys are missing the point. I know its a bloated pig, but lets get behind the principle, so we can buy a Spec V without leather and A/C.

A stripped car will never be much cheaper these days anyway. If you factor in the cost of creating a different heater box and belt drive to delete the A/C, create a mechanical window winder and so on, costs probably rise.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
12/19/13 9:16 a.m.

The problem isn't so much that they don't offer a strippy package, it's that you have to order packages in the first place. If they'd let someone odrer the base car, biggest Hemi, big brakes, best suspension, then this 'package' would be irrelivent. Do away with packages all together and let me order what I want.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 9:22 a.m.

God I hope Ford are listening, 2015 Mustang Clubsport.... I will buy that

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
12/19/13 9:28 a.m.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0806_ford_mustang_fr500s/

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/19/13 9:29 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: The SRT version curb weight is supposed to be 4082 pounds,

Where did you see that? I pulled the 4253 off the SRT website:

http://www.drivesrt.com/assets/docs/2014/2014-Challenger-SRT-Specifications.pdf

Oddly enough, the 5 automatic is 22 lbs lighter.

There is no mention about the Core package being lighter (and the Core package is mentioned in the suspension and wheel specs).

Regardless, I'm in the "love how it looks" camp and I've day-dreamed about buying one since it was first introduced. One of my neighbors bought an orange R/T right after introduction. I know it's big and heavy, but I don't care. But because it's a big and heavy pig, I probably wouldn't bother with a "de-contented" version of the car. I like leather.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/13 9:31 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/tuners/112_0806_ford_mustang_fr500s/

I was crawling all over one of those at Auburn, it had 500 miles on it and sold for $75K, covered with my fingerprints and DNA

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork

Neither my money nor my mouth is going any where near one of these behemoths.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
mazdeuce wrote: The problem isn't so much that they don't offer a strippy package, it's that you have to order packages in the first place. If they'd let someone odrer the base car, biggest Hemi, big brakes, best suspension, then this 'package' would be irrelivent. Do away with packages all together and let me order what I want.

And that right there is why none of these will be "collector cars" in the future that bring money..

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PbPAFMjhz3MAQnLbTQoyZdzy4nA6JkqjmFww0wZPMXellICT1iqImDVoleJR1Lnk