pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
3/26/24 4:34 p.m.

Yesterday I was welding a trailer that carries a mold for a fiberglass swimming pool. The breeze was about 15 mph. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
3/26/24 4:36 p.m.

Nothing else work this well in the breeze

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
3/26/24 4:39 p.m.

I kept my old flux core machine for breezy outside work, comes in handy doing trailer work for sure

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/26/24 10:19 p.m.

I can think of maybe 5,000 things I would like to do more than flux core weld. I guess I'm glad that somebody out there enjoys it though. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/26/24 10:43 p.m.

I really need to try a roll of flux core with my welder. If nothing else, just to say I tried it.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
3/27/24 9:37 a.m.

It has its place, but FCAW is not what I'd call my favorite process. It's great in a breeze or when I don't want to haul around gas cylinders or I don't want to burn rod, though.

It is worth noting that at least in that top photo you have a lack of fusion. Those look to be some pretty cold toes and concave beads; you might try turning up the heat on the welder. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
3/27/24 6:39 p.m.

I did turn up the voltage and wire speed and then made a second pass over those

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ UltraDork
3/27/24 8:31 p.m.

I used to flux core but then I got a newer machine with gas.  I haven't tried it but I've heard of people using flux core with gas.  If you do that, will it still be all splattery like just plain flux core?  I've got an old role of it still in plastic that I didn't want to let go to waste.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ UltraDork
3/27/24 8:34 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

It has its place, but FCAW is not what I'd call my favorite process. It's great in a breeze or when I don't want to haul around gas cylinders or I don't want to burn rod, though.

It is worth noting that at least in that top photo you have a lack of fusion. Those look to be some pretty cold toes and concave beads; you might try turning up the heat on the welder. 

Good observation.  You clearly know more about this than me.  I was gonna say it looked great but needed another pass or two.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/27/24 8:37 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

I can think of maybe 5,000 things I would like to do more than flux core weld. I guess I'm glad that somebody out there enjoys it though. 

Same here. I have my flux core machine for it's portability, but for any other situation an arc welder is better. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
3/28/24 12:09 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

There's no good reason to run shielding gas with regular flux core wire. You also risk trapping more silicon in the weld. If you want the best of both worlds (penetration of flux core but smooth bead profile without much spatter) you might want to look into dual-shield, known as FCAW-G. You run FCAW-G in DCEP like MIG whereas regular FCAW is usually run in DCEN.

Using shielding gas on regular flux core wire is a waste of money, really. Flux core carries its own shielding. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/28/24 1:53 a.m.

I find that pre heating with a torch helps a lot when using flux core.  Once you start putting heat in the metal with your weld you are off and running.  

And always listen for the sizzling bacon sound. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2u9pcq3jHQM81TlOiVrlGnZJjwWiL7nLq3UfNrf5LY7uujO18cibiDVc5SHGb3eQ