1 2 3
JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/11/13 7:02 p.m.

I haven't got much more than a CVT Juke Nismo.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/11/13 7:05 p.m.

X5 was available with a stick and awd in 6 cylinder form.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/11/13 7:45 p.m.

What was the last year the Forester XT was available as a stick?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/11/13 8:56 p.m.

In regards to the Forester XT: the steering they come with SUUUUUUUUUCKS, Sucks, sucks.

A 2004 STi rack is a direct swap. It is really a profound difference.

Impreza/STi suspension is a bolt in affair. I went a different route, stiffened up the springs but kept the stock ride height so I can still manage some pretty irregular terrain off-road. I added skidplates, too.

I can fit a dryer (in the box) in the back of mine with the seats folded down, plus 2-3 kayaks on top.

A Forester in a muted color is the next thing to invisible to police.

2008 is the last year with a stick.

I have a build thread:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2004-forester-xt/55111/page1/

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
11/11/13 8:58 p.m.

No one has said 9-2x Aero yet?

Should be able to find the cleanest lowest mileage example in the country.

• Lee
Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/11/13 11:40 p.m.
Jeep Patriot & Compass can be had in 4WD/stick. I haven't driven one, but I won't, either, because these CUV are pretty much the old Dodge Caliber. No thank you.

The best way to think of the Caliber/Patriot relationship is that chrysler took a pretty decent jeep and made a bad car out of it. Most of what i dont like about the Caliber becomes acceptable-to-good once it is a Jeep.

As for the handling stuff, well, im unsure of how Caliber SRT-4 take-offs play into the 4wd system of the Patriot, but i assume there are possibilities there.

Stick and AWD at the same time is a MAJOR trick.

Go for the gold and build a stick/4wd AND good handling 98-up Jeep Cherokee. They can obviously be made to handle.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
11/12/13 8:49 a.m.

Honda CRV?

Runs and hides.

Elsmere
Elsmere New Reader
11/12/13 12:16 p.m.

Volvo V50 T5 AWD

E46 325Xi Touring

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
11/12/13 2:01 p.m.

It might not be on the sporty side but a 2012 and under Ford Escape/Mazda Tibute is available in the 4wd/stick combo. They are rare but if you look hard enough, they are available. The new redesigned Escape is slushbox only.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
11/12/13 3:59 p.m.
Elsmere wrote: Volvo V50 T5 AWD E46 325Xi Touring

If the Saabaru is a no-go I support these, and also add the V70R, don't know how I didn't think of that before.

You can get the nicest lowest mileage '07 V70R and have enough budget left for a handful of Miatas.

$10K will get you this hideously awesome flash green example.
2004 Volvo V70 R - $9,900
Plus middle aged driver in a Volvo, that means the insurance company pays you to drive it right?

• Lee
Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
11/12/13 8:37 p.m.

Brett thanks for the cross reference should I go with a Forester the steering won't be an issue. A Daily driver rally cross car is great to have back when I co-organized local rally cross and Seed 9 rally I had a Volvo 144 rally car I used as a DD. Anything with super low profile tires will end up with bent rims...........we have lots of racks out here

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/13/13 1:23 a.m.

V70R my GF has one and I wish it was mine.

irish44j wrote: Import an early 90s Lancia Delta. Problem solved for less than $50k.

I see 80s 8v Integrales for less than $10k all the time, minus import fee, on Japanese and Euro sites. I would like one quite a bit....

On those JDM import sites I see them for less than $8k even. 16vs are not much more until you get to Evolution territory that is when they get expensive.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/13/13 4:41 a.m.

Porsche Cayenne GTS:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19021&endYear=2014&modelCode1=CAYENNE&showcaseOwnerId=49294070&startYear=1981&makeCode1=POR&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=0&mmt=[POR[CAYENNE[]][]]&listingId=357379760&Log=0

$10K under your $50K limit.

For about half your limit, 6 spd V6 base Cayennes aren't too hard to find.

I wonder if they'd let you rallycross one...

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
11/14/13 10:19 p.m.

OK I should clarify, I would not pay 50K for a car, I can afford it but have other things I'd rather buy.............I'm not likely to go past the the 25K mark

As for the Cayenne, there was one running round at the last PCA track day I went to. As a former rally crosses organizer I would not have a problem with it. No clue if the current rules forbid them or not.

An Intergrale would look good next to my fancy Italian dirt bike.......realistically not likely to happen though

Tom
AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/15/13 12:35 a.m.
EvanR wrote: Jeep Patriot & Compass can be had in 4WD/stick. I haven't driven one, but I won't, either, because these CUV are pretty much the old Dodge Caliber. No thank you. I think the VW Tiguan can only be had with a clutch in the FWD versions. If you want AWD and a stick (and some sort of off-road ability) your choices are severely limited. Hyundai/Kia eliminated clutches in all CUV for 2014. Maybe you can find a leftover or slightly used 2013.

Patriot does not equal Caliber; totally different.

To the OP; how about a Mazdaspeed 6? Awd, turbo, quiet.

-Hamid

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
11/15/13 12:58 a.m.

The obvious answer is a VOLVO 1800 SHOOTING BRAKE!

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/15/13 2:43 a.m.

/thread

I would trade my '12 WRX straight up for one of these with a STI 6-speed. Just looking at it makes me want to sell my car now.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
11/15/13 8:58 a.m.
AverageH wrote:
EvanR wrote: Jeep Patriot & Compass can be had in 4WD/stick. I haven't driven one, but I won't, either, because these CUV are pretty much the old Dodge Caliber. No thank you.
Patriot does not equal Caliber; totally different. -Hamid

Really? I'll believe you, but they sure look like they have a lot in common to me.

So besides "not Caliber", what do you make of the Patriot?

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/15/13 9:01 a.m.

Having spent some torture-time in both a Patriot and a Caliber, I can't believe either of those horrid turds are even being mentioned.

Storz
Storz Dork
11/15/13 10:03 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Having spent some torture-time in both a Patriot and a Caliber, I can't believe either of those horrid turds are even being mentioned.

Yeah I was not impressed at all when I've driven them

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/15/13 12:44 p.m.

INCORRECT.

But i'm not going to try to talk anyone into liking them. The Jeep Patriot just makes the best of a bad situation regarding its caliber underpinnings. It's close relationship to a couple of blazing fast cousins on the same platform is not enough to fix that for all but the most ambitious.

beans
beans HalfDork
11/15/13 12:47 p.m.

The answer is:

02-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Quadradrive and the 4.7L H.O.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
11/15/13 6:48 p.m.

Add 20V...

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/15/13 10:27 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
INCORRECT. But i'm not going to try to talk anyone into liking them. The Jeep Patriot just makes the best of a bad situation regarding its caliber underpinnings. It's close relationship to a couple of blazing fast cousins on the same platform is not enough to fix that for all but the most ambitious.

Yeah ok, you're totally right then. I've loved my Patriot for 90k trouble free and many off-road miles. Shoot, I shoulda just bought a crappy Caliber then. Screw the whole "Trail Rated" package I bought with the full-time awd, 4 wheel drive, hill descent assist, and a low gear ratio. Shoulda bought a Caliber. While some say the Trail Rated doesn't mean anything and it's just a marketing gimmick, my Patriot has never let me down in the rugged terrain in Eastern Washington near my land. While not a CJ, there are countless off-road videos on youtube showing its prowess.

My bad for talking about something that I know nothing about. Carry on.

-Hamid

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/16/13 12:01 a.m.

I think your definition of "totally" different is a little off.

What you're describing is about the same difference between a 2wd Cherokee and a 4wd Cherokee. Are they totally different?

For the record, i think the Patriot is a perfectly decent vehicle with some real untapped potential. I like it better than a Liberty, or even a JK for that matter. But it really is pretty much a Caliber with jeep styling and a 4wd system.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHNpeqfD7Am7iKunam7UX9znPNScyXTvPHlcKIzYxNHmOiSie2z4NL9nvLPFwxrO