frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/22/23 10:31 p.m.

That may be. But it also could be someone came up with an improvement or a more efficient way of doing something . 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/23/23 10:41 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

And monkeys could fly out of my butt or win the lotto or get hit my a meteorite. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/23 10:57 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That would be an exciting day. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
6/23/23 11:16 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 12:09 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Not every business uses a truck to tow heave trailers all day. There are several businesses here using them for deliveries and they seem to be doing fine. Our facility maintenance crew just got an electric transit and it's been working great for what they do. I don't see a cyber truck carrying that much or getting ladder racks or caps with that shape 

That's a valid point.  I see a lot of trucks at construction sites with tool boxes and stuff in them but not pulling trailers.  Actually 100 mile range towing a trailer would be more than  adequate for a lot of pickups.  Contractors typically leave the trailer at the site.  So assuming 60-80 miles one way towing the trailer  they would easily have enough range to get back home empty.  
 If it's a Tesla they could use the supercharger network. ( 17,000 nation wide)  to add 200 miles in 15 minutes.   Or Ford or Chevy  have access to 12,000 Tesla superchargers  but I don't know how fast they can take a charge. 
 The lawn mowing services that pull trailers filled with lawn mowers seldom would push those limits.   

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 12:16 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to frenchyd :

And monkeys could fly out of my butt or win the lotto or get hit my a meteorite. 

Since Elon Misk does things different than other car companies.   I mean they update or repair during the charging cycle at no additional cost to the customers.  It's done automatically. No appointment needed. 
      Maybe a little less skepticism is needed?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 12:27 p.m.

How many GRM ers would feel comfortable working on an EV.   
  Assuming there are how to's on UTube etc. 

Simple  things like headlights/ taillights. Replacing modules? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/23/23 2:26 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Less skepticism? How about you maybe looking at reality a little? Because we have to be skeptical enough for you as well. You just drank all the koolaid and believe everything you hear that you want to be true. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 2:37 p.m.

Small cheap EV's.

GM and 2 Chinese companies are building a $5000 EV.  
     That has already sold 2 million units.  Passing Tesla model 3 in China sales 

In China you can pay $3800 and lease the battery for $28 a month. 
    Range is approx 110 miles with a top speed of 62 mph. 
     Europeans. Are also building and selling  small cheap EV's. The VW Nils along with 7 other small cheap EV's  are selling between $4000- $11,000

Kandis Chinese made m EV  is NHSTA  APPROVED FOR SALE IN THE uS.  Texas is the first state they are sold in. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 2:47 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'll leave you to the skepticism. You do it so much better than I do. 
     I see good things in the future.  I'll gladly let you do the gloom and doom.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/23 2:57 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Small cheap EV's.

Europeans. Are also building and selling  small cheap EV's. The VW Nils along with 7 other small cheap EV's  are selling between $4000- $11,000

Kandis Chinese made m EV  is NHSTA  APPROVED FOR SALE IN THE uS.  Texas is the first state they are sold in. 

What do cars sold in another country that don't meet our standards have to do with anything? 

As far as Kandis, all the news articles are 2-3 years old with no updates about when they will be available.

I'd ask you for proof, but you've admitted copying the URL and pasting it into the text box is too hard for you to learn. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/23/23 4:03 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Sounds like you need to move to China. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/23 4:22 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Less skepticism? How about you maybe looking at reality a little? Because we have to be skeptical enough for you as well. You just drank all the koolaid and believe everything you hear that you want to be true. 

Exactly.  I'm working with evs, they were announced around the same time as the cybertruck, are far more complex, work as they should, and are being put into customer's hands. Meanwhile the silly silver pickup is still a daydream. That's not cynical, it's reality. I don't get how he still gets the fan worship he does. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 5:16 p.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

Small cheap EV's.

What do cars sold in another country that don't meet our standards have to do with anything? 

As far as Kandis, all the news articles are 2-3 years old with no updates about when they will be available.

I'd ask you for proof, but you've admitted copying the URL and pasting it into the text box is too hard for you to learn. 

I find some are mildly interesting.    I mean if I lived in Australia or New Zealand where they are legal. Or a lot of countries around the globe. A $5000 new car  would be interesting if I lived in a city. 
      In France some of those "cars" are more like golf carts .  And the VW Nil kind of has a little Formula 1 to it.  
     All 4 wheels are exposed with little motor cycle fenders 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/23/23 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

If you are talking about the man?  I agree with you.  Well except he took a flyer on EV's right after GM gave up on their EV1 .     
  He took over Tesla and turned it into a new industry.   I think he's made some great decisions. I don't know if it's his brains that created  everything  or he just hired the right people and listened to them.  
   He does seem to work really hard  and doesn't waste any money on the trappings of success.  Houses , cars , boats. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
6/23/23 10:05 p.m.

Has this been shared in here previously? Apologies if so.

My source is a co-workers LinkedIn post but he cited the source as ....Toyota

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
6/24/23 3:01 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

RE: Cheap small electrics Legal in Aus, they are not.

electrics are hard to find under 50k aud here. 40k usd?

Model 3 is around 45-50k USD here.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/24/23 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Nathan JansenvanDoorn :

My source for that information is Sam Evans Or the Electric Viking who recently moved back to Australia following his wife's treatment for stage 4 cancer. 
      The MG  and several other models have been in England for over a year.  The MG is the #4 selling EV in England  

Same with Europe. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/24/23 9:58 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

It might have been at some point, we're to 63 whole ass pages.

It's absolutely true. Toyota continues to use NIMH in plenty of vehicles not simply because it's proven tech, but also because we're so supply-constrained on consumer lithium. With the Infrastructure bill leading to several new plants in the USA this may soon change, but if "old" systems like that still lead to improvements in mileage, resource use and vehicle lifespan (as we've seen with Priuses and hybrid lexuses being cockroaches) why fix what isn't broken?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
6/24/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Totally agree. That was an eye opening exhibit for me. Makes me want that Maverick even more. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/24/23 12:41 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

According to Musk at investors day. Lithium is 2% of a battery. Most  of a battery is nickle ( common metal)  

They own a 10,000 acre lithium mine in Nevada and have a new process for lithium. Using table salt  to make it suitable for batteries.    There are currently 6 major suppliers of lithium  2 American in South America , 2 Chinese , one in Australia and one in India. The Salton Sea in Southern California is also a future source of Lithium. 
   Recent discoveries  of Rare earth metals in the Bad Lands of. South Dakota  and also in North Dakota.  Are beginning to  prove such minerals/ metals are far more common than previously believed.  
  They also have a new process for converting nickle ore. Dramatically reducing the cost of nickle in their batteries. 
     Elon Musk is doing what GM and Ford used to do, vertically integrate  to control costs and maximize profit.  
    Elon musk is buying a German company to allow non contact charging while driving on highways. 
     ( it's already in use in Norway, Sweden and parts of Germany).   Thus dramatically reducing the required size of batteries.  
Especially on big trucks and buses. 
   Without the need for large batteries    Costs will again be reduced. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/23 1:19 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to bobzilla :

It's easy to be optimistic if you ignore reality and anything you disagree with.  I'm still waiting for you to disprove 10 > 1/3.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/24/23 5:21 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to bobzilla :

It's easy to be optimistic if you ignore reality and anything you disagree with.  I'm still waiting for you to disprove 10 > 1/3.

Really?    Too bad you skimmed right over it.  If you go back and read you should be satisfied. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/23 9:53 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

No your unnamed sources offer zero satisfaction.  There is a bright side though.  I never expected to be satisfied.  My bar is now that low.  

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
6/25/23 12:09 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I've been living in Australia for nearly 10 years. You're talking about $4-11k small electric cars: they don't exist in Australia. The MGs start in the low $40k (AUD) $28k (USD) range here. Small, but not cheap in the context of 4-11k..

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
M9iXoaQQ25Z2yuBwswbzSYowMSo7Fp7rPc64Z44LC1J3BU9LG1Rxcb2WQFZZ39ck