Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/3/23 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I may have replied to the wrong post, I thought you had one about maintenance and user experience. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 11:54 a.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Very similar but not bound to a set route on tracks. We can use them in other applications like unplanned emergency shuttles, OEM requests and other events that require flexibility.  

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 11:56 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

That's the thing is the extremes shouting at each other. Heaven forbid you mention that ev's don't fit every need. You became the anti-christ 

Welcome to the internet. I make a twitter post with our electrics and someone calls me a hypocrite for having racecars in my profile, and I post about racecars and am called a flaming liberal for using public transportation. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 12:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

They're made by New Flyer.  If I understand the contract correctly 60ft electrics are about 30% more, about $1.2 million each but that includes charge points and installation. They're also expected to save $400,000 in energy and maintenance costs over a twelve year lifespan. We generally get more than the required twelve years, in many cases closer to twenty. Since it's still new I have no information on if that means we'll save more or less, though the engineering guy I talk to said the motors and other bits usually see 30+ years of service in trams. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 12:08 p.m.

Working my way to 77 pages a post at a time

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/3/23 12:58 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

They're made by New Flyer.  If I understand the contract correctly 60ft electrics are about 30% more, about $1.2 million each but that includes charge points and installation. They're also expected to save $400,000 in energy and maintenance costs over a twelve year lifespan. We generally get more than the required twelve years, in many cases closer to twenty. Since it's still new I have no information on if that means we'll save more or less, though the engineering guy I talk to said the motors and other bits usually see 30+ years of service in trams. 

We're paying 160K for an 84 passenger school bus and running them on bio-fuel. We also have a 12 year span. We have purchased a couple of EV buses; they were 520K.  No clue what the projected maintenance savings might be.

I am curious if you know the cost of a regular city bus; I assume they are around 400-600K depending on how they are outfitted and the capacity.

So it would appear the cost is still slightly higher for an EV. With that said there is value in pedestrians not having to suck on diesel fumes when the bus pulls away from a stop.

I worked at a Volvo/ Mack dealership for a while after I retired. EV trucks are quickly gaining popularity here in Texas. The head Mack sales guy told me they cost about 50% more than a diesel garbage truck.

That is a charge station in the right edge of the picture. The dealership I worked at was an early adopter and fully geared up to serve them with charge station and dedicated electric truck service area. I remember seeing mainly Mack garbage trucks and Volvo city cab tractors. I was told that for predictable and dedicated routes they did work pretty well. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/3/23 2:22 p.m.

An electric garbage truck!  That I think is something most can agree with!

Or do they have giant speakers on the that go "WEEEEEEEEE, CLANG, GLANG, WEEEEEEEEEE" just for old time sake?  (I guess the clang will likely remain either way)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/3/23 2:42 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I can honestly say I've never heard a garbage truck at my house. They come while I'm at work, and if I'm home the house is insulated enought to not be something we hear.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 3:17 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 4:19 p.m.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
7/3/23 4:38 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I agree with you. So at what point do you think Tesla joins Sears / Kodak / Blackberry? 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/3/23 4:39 p.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 4:42 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 4:49 p.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

A 60ft Articulated bus is around $850k for a diesel or CNG version depending on options, support plans etc. The electrics are more expensive but supposedly cheaper over their life. I'm curious to see how that works out. Eliminating local emissions is a big perk as we tend to operate in areas with high asthma rates, and people in our facilities develop a fair number of respiratory illnesses. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/3/23 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

So if the cost savings pan out the total cost of ownership is the same. Given that both the crew and passengers won't be sucking up diesel fumes that makes it worthwhile.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/3/23 7:07 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to aircooled :

I can honestly say I've never heard a garbage truck at my house. They come while I'm at work, and if I'm home the house is insulated enought to not be something we hear.

If the garbage truck that runs my house's route is not electric, there is some serious muffling going on.  It whirrs gently like an electric.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/3/23 8:21 p.m.

Sorry to break it to you Frenchyd:

Link to story.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
7/3/23 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I'm stunned 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/3/23 8:34 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I'm stunned 

Shocked! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/3/23 9:07 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I'm stunned 

Shocked! 

Its re-volting.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/3/23 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Too bad. I actually liked the design of that truck, but I may be the only one. I wonder if they are doing any better on the Tesla 2?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/3/23 9:51 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I agree with you. So at what point do you think Tesla joins Sears / Kodak / Blackberry? 

I don't know.  Sears got over 100 years as did Kodak. GM is over 100 years as is Ford. 

That's incorrect.  GM went away with its bankruptcy in 2009.  Shareholders of GM stock got zilch.  GM's re-animated corpse was resuscitated by the government.  https://money.cnn.com/2009/06/01/news/companies/gm_bankruptcy/

I'll give you the others, though.  laugh

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/3/23 10:00 p.m.

Next Post welcomes us to page 77!

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
cnnd11qRERiATNGGBImUDB2LbsGTdP0gjE9CEhKZQ88boaRmSQt25iBZgyN6ceAA