Post 1901.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/3/23 10:28 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
frenchyd said:
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I agree with you. So at what point do you think Tesla joins Sears / Kodak / Blackberry? 

I don't know.  Sears got over 100 years as did Kodak. GM is over 100 years as is Ford. 

That's incorrect.  GM went away with its bankruptcy in 2009.  Shareholders of GM stock got zilch.  GM's re-animated corpse was resuscitated by the government.  https://money.cnn.com/2009/06/01/news/companies/gm_bankruptcy/

I'll give you the others, though.  laugh

You may be correct.  See,  I used to buy Chevrolets made by GM.  And Chevy's are still sold but they aren't made by GM anymore ?  

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/3/23 11:05 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Sorry to break it to you Frenchyd:

Link to story.

Incoming 'No, this story I read from 2021 tells me it's rolling down the production line any second now...' in 3-2-1...

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/3/23 11:59 p.m.

Page 77, Oi I'm in heaven.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/4/23 12:05 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Hell or high water, I garuntee you a hundo. You'll get your 3 digits, Mr. 1200.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/4/23 8:24 a.m.
racerfink said:
Indy - Guy said:

Link to story.

Incoming 'No, this story I read from 2021 tells me it's rolling down the production line any second now...' in 3-2-1...

A problem discussed in the article, is with the suspension dynamics.  Apparently, there's weird reactions and vibrations under certain conditions. It might require geometry changes and thus a redesign to correct.

Truck suspension (with higher ride height,  heavier tires & the requirement for vehicle load capacity) is different than car suspension.

That's ABSOLUTELY one advantage Ford has over Tesla.  Ford has been building and developing truck suspension for over 100 years so that wasn't a problem for them to work out when launching the Lightning F-150

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/4/23 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Yeah I read it to, and frankly it just sounded like preproduction prototype issues, like the kinds that computers can't simulate.

In reply to Wally :

The busses have hub motors driving the middile wheels? I didn't know they had massive hubs like that. Do you have pics?

Also, +1 for trolley busses.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/4/23 10:32 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/4/23 10:44 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

They're made by New Flyer.  If I understand the contract correctly 60ft electrics are about 30% more, about $1.2 million each but that includes charge points and installation. They're also expected to save $400,000 in energy and maintenance costs over a twelve year lifespan. We generally get more than the required twelve years, in many cases closer to twenty. Since it's still new I have no information on if that means we'll save more or less, though the engineering guy I talk to said the motors and other bits usually see 30+ years of service in trams. 

It's wonderful to know that electrics are working.  As they become more and more common the premium for electrics should disappear  to the point where electrics will have a lower purchase price then ICE.  But not while still building vehicles like ICE  and simply swapping in electrics and barriers in place of the Engine and transmission. 
      I know city buses to a degree.  Some are long lasting 40+ years old while some barely finish a 5 year lease. It makes sense to use electric in a lot of  operations. Pollution  is real and those exposed to a lot of diesel exhaust have a higher rate of Asthma and breathing difficulties. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/4/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

A few posts back, Wally said the busses typically get replaced on a 12 year interval.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/4/23 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I suspect it's like most cities when maintenance, & operating costs exceed new equipment.  With adjustments made based on city finances.  

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
7/4/23 5:25 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Indy - Guy said:
racerfink said:
Indy - Guy said:

Link to story.

A problem discussed in the article, is with the suspension dynamics.  Apparently, there's weird reactions and vibrations under certain conditions. It might require geometry changes and thus a redesign to correct.

Truck suspension (with higher ride height,  heavier tires & the requirement for vehicle load capacity) is different than car suspension.

That's ABSOLUTELY one advantage Ford has over Tesla.  Ford has been building and developing truck suspension for over 100 years so that wasn't a problem for them to work out when launching the Lightning F-150

You are focusing on something 2 years ago.  I was reporting  an article  3 days old.   Froze several sources. The assembly line running producing preproduction  trucks for testing etc. 

Don't worry, nobody is fixing you to buy one.  If you don't like them, may I suggest you simply ignore them?  

Maybe you should slow down your posting, so you can see simple details that rip your trolling to shreds... like dates on articles.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/4/23 6:06 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

To qualify for federal financing they have to have a minimum 12 year service life. No city buses are only lasting five years. This was a huge issue in the early 80s when NYC bought a batch of Flxible buses that were poorly built. They had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get out of them early. 

As for simply swapping drivetrains, it's the same problem Tesla is having whit their semis. Commercial vehicles are laid out a certain way because that's how they work most efficiently. The bus doesn't care what's pushing it, it's still got to do the same thing.  A lot of "revolutionary" designs have been tested here and failed miserably. Trucks are the same way. They've all evolved into very similar packages because that's what works. 

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
7/4/23 6:13 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Rivian seems to do OK.  I assume they hired the right people and let them do their thing.  I also assume that Tesla did not.

A poster on another board works in Detroit for an automotive engineering firm.  His take is that it is very hard for Tesla to hire experienced engineers.  An experienced engineer (HW or SW) in Michigan makes enough to live very well in a way that can't be duplicated working for Tesla.  Throw in the reputation as an awful place to work and they have a lot of trouble recruiting.  Mistakes are made as a result.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/4/23 6:16 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

I suspect it's like most cities when maintenance, & operating costs exceed new equipment.  With adjustments made based on city finances.  

So just make up a statement and ignore the guy that does it for a living. Why am I not surprised?

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/4/23 6:43 p.m.
mfennell said:

Rivian seems to do OK.  I assume they hired the right people and let them do their thing.  I also assume that Tesla did not.

A poster on another board works in Detroit for an automotive engineering firm.  His take is that it is very hard for Tesla to hire experienced engineers.  An experienced engineer (HW or SW) in Michigan makes enough to live very well in a way that can't be duplicated working for Tesla.  Throw in the reputation as an awful place to work and they have a lot of trouble recruiting.  Mistakes are made as a result.

Probably true.  I don't have experience dealing with the automotive side of Tesla, but I Do have first hand experience with the solar panel manufacturing side (think Giga-Factory).

About 6 or 7 years ago, a company I worked for, was designing a custom piece of automation for the factory. Our first design review with the Tesla project engineer, (upon seeing or concept): she says on the call "Cool, I've never seen anything like that"  She said it was her first time reviewing equipment of this type.  

After the conference call, we were all shocked that Tesla had somebody with Zero experience granted the authority to approve such a safety critical item. 

So, if the Cyber truck team is anything like that.  I can see trouble brewing.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/4/23 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Hey remember when you told me this:

Steve_Jones said:

In reply to bobzilla :

You seem rather upset about a thread no one is forcing you to click on. 

cheeky trolls are good because they suck you in. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
7/4/23 8:24 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, but I'm not upset, I'm having fun. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/4/23 8:38 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/4/23 11:11 p.m.

This thread reminds me of the Mythbusters water heater episode; I can't believe how high it's gone.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/4/23 11:19 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Nope.

Tesla's manufacturing is currently outpacing their sales. In Q1 2023 they made 18,000 more vehicles than they were able to sell.  Now they have excess inventory. (That's $900 million worth of unsold inventory).

They will NOT outsell Ford this year, and they will definitely NOT sell 10 times as many vehicles as Ford in the near future.

Where do you get these numbers?  Even Tesla isn't saying that. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/4/23 11:19 p.m.

In reply to mfennell :

A lot, if not a majority, of the folks at Rivian seem to be ex-Mitsubishi, ex-Caterpillar, ex-Deere, or ex-Big 3. 

Here is a haggerty article on an interview with their founder from 2010: https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/before-his-battery-behemoths-rivians-billionaire-founder-made-an-eco-sports-car/

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/5/23 7:58 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/5/23 8:11 a.m.
mfennell said:
Indy - Guy said:

Sounds like exactly what he is doing to Twitter right now. How would you like to work at a place where the boss won't pay the rent and you can get tossed out of the office by the landlord at any time? 

I am surprised that he can keep Twitter running at all, but it's still there. And there are still more Teslas in my office parking lot than any other brand of EV. And SpaceX seems to be the only ones other than the Russians who can get us to the space station. 

Elon Musk is like the guy riding a unicycle on a high wire. He may not do everything well, but it is amazing he can do what he does at all.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/5/23 8:20 a.m.

The theory has been well known for a long time.  Yet in spite of a lot of research in Japan,Germany, and even  here in America it hasn't proved out. 
       There are plenty of other interesting alternatives though none with so great a promise.  

Really the whole idea of  quick recharge is really meaningless.   There are several cars capable of 400+ miles on a single charge. Those that are Tesla can add 200 miles in 15 minutes.  
        Yes there will be slight changes in driving.   People will plug in every night  and unplug in the morning.   Plus they will recharge mid trip for 15 minutes or so rather than wait until the tank is empty. 
    But do just a little math. 600 miles is 10 hours.   People need to eat a couple of times in that period.  Plus no one's bladder  can go that long without relief.  
       But that is nothing compared to our grandfathers  who had to do a great deal to ride horses.  Among them is let the horse graze daily.  

Just because   Batteries  aren't capable of instant refills  doesn't mean they will need to be. Sweden, and Germany  already have roads with contactless recharging while in Motion.  When that occurs here in the US the heavy batteries will be gone and small lighter batteries with only 50-100 mile range used. 

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
nzHGJXxg1DkzEI0iQjm8armokIQP9jzkfs3MqLZDOSuAFfS2gXOdiEoK0KOoR9Ay