1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim New Reader
8/27/09 11:11 a.m.

I think the option of 'temporary import' is only open to non-residents, isn't it?

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
8/27/09 11:13 a.m.
Keith wrote: There used to be a Ford Puma rolling around Ottawa on diplomatic tags. I figure it just went back to France (I think that was the tag) when the posting was up.

If it's black it's still around and in Kingston, I see it quite a bit.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
8/27/09 11:14 a.m.

It is only illegal if you get caught.

andrave
andrave Reader
8/27/09 11:37 a.m.

if youre really interested in buying it why don't you just meet up and tell him you'd like to see the title, and check it for make/model and check the firewall and dash vin plates????

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/27/09 11:41 a.m.

I THINK you can import cars with a "show clause" that limits your miliage severely

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim New Reader
8/27/09 11:43 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I THINK you can import cars with a "show clause" that limits your miliage severely

IIRC it's 2500 miles/year, you have to keep a mileage log indicating where you took the car and you'll have to get NHTSA's (sp?) permission if you wish to sell the car.

andrave
andrave Reader
8/27/09 1:16 p.m.

I dunno, I read in an article that someone wanted to import a famous skyline that won some races in japan as an exhibition vehicle (IIRC same as a show vehicle) and even with the full cage and racing slicks they had a lot of trouble bringing it into the country...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
8/27/09 3:05 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: I think the option of 'temporary import' is only open to non-residents, isn't it?

These Sevens on the trip were still registered in their home countries. It was the equivalent of running an out-of-state plate. I know they did have several roadside discussions with the police based on velocity, but not due to registration.

I don't remember that Puma being black, but it's been nearly a decade.

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/27/09 4:45 p.m.

It's a peugeot 206....why would you want that car?

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
8/27/09 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Zman:

Because it's FDM, y0.

I wouldn't want a 206, either. Well, except for this one:

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo New Reader
8/27/09 7:06 p.m.
Zman wrote: It's a peugeot 206....why would you want that car?

If you knew him you'd do know not to ask

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/27/09 9:10 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: But when do French cars break?

{French existential on } When they exist. {French existential off }

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar New Reader
8/27/09 9:20 p.m.

My wife had a '91 405 Mi16 when we were dating. It was the last year they imported Peugot's to the States. When everything was working right it was a great car. When things weren't working right it was at best a bad car, at worst a death trap.

It went through tires like they were croissants and struts like they were baguettes. There was a stack of warranty receipts about an inch thick in the glovebox when we got rid of it.

The Peugeot definition of antilock brakes was antistop breaks. The light would kick on, the pedal would drop to the floor and you became very familiar with the hand parking brake lever. After the car would come to a stop the system would reset itself and be fine. The dealer never found anything wrong with it. We sold it as soon as the warranty was out.

-Rob

sachilles
sachilles Reader
8/28/09 10:40 a.m.

In reply to andrave:

The skyline itself has a very dubious history with federalization and everything in the US, so they are typically very tough to get in the US.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
8/28/09 11:53 a.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote:
Zman wrote: It's a peugeot 206....why would you want that car?
If you knew him you'd do know not to ask

you know it changes every week. Now i want an E30 again... Tomorrow, it wil be something different...

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
8/28/09 12:00 p.m.

There is an STi running around Purdue campus with European plates on it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xj4aJf8NvxigxAFyrc3D3wEIz3kvQn6h0oq8rco1M1pTcQq1X8P12ZrFiXLyMGfB