3 4 5
smog7
smog7 Dork
10/18/12 11:42 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Hot rodding is still alive. They just switched to cars that can turn.

Exactly!

"Hot Rod" isn't a term strictly regulated to pre 1960 cars.

I've always believed that honda's with swapped engines and gutted interiors are the modern day interpretation of '32 ford coupes and '55 chevy's.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
10/18/12 11:42 p.m.

This is an interesting topic of discussion. I live in a smaller town about an hour north of Seattle where my exposure to the latest car trends are a bit limited. In fact, most of my car related exposure is on the web nowadays. Sure, there are always the overly loud Hondas buzzing around my town with the drift charm and all (I never understood that one on a FWD), and the stick-on Buick decals run rampant here too. But even on the web I can see how huge it is with the younger crowd. I recently turned 37, and I guess I'm not part of the younger crowd any more, but there are certainly some cool styles going on. How about the rusty VW's with the intentional patina? The Subaru/ bike rack scenester look? Sticker bombs and zip tie mullarky? Tucked engine bays (is that a new thing or just recycled)? It also looks as if many of the original Honda owners are ditching their rides for rear-wheel drive cars too, probably being guided by the drift popularity. In another 30 years they may be going back to those Hondas and paying 50k for them.

I guess I'm in the middle of the scenes age wise; I don't wear the Monster Energy or DC Sports hats with the flat brim (never understood the need to advertise for them if I'm not in on the profits), But I also don't fit in with the cropped bowling shirt crowd wearing the Costco mom jeans and dress shoes (aka Foose) either. Yeah, I kinda stereotype at times, but I have the right to as I was such a typical grunge guy from Seattle during the 90's with the flannel shirts and long hair . All in good fun.

-Hamid

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/19/12 2:29 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
plance1 wrote: I see a bunch of guys dressed up like fonze prancing around talking about the upcoming shark jump...
That needs to go in Say What
It is true though. It's like a rennasance fair for greasers. Everyone is in costume - fonzie jackets and poodleskirts abound.

and the soundtrack is either Sha Na Na for the older guys or Social Distortion for the 40 and younger crowd..

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/19/12 2:56 a.m.
AverageH wrote: How about the rusty VW's with the intentional patina?

fake "patina" on anything is just silly..

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/19/12 3:08 a.m.

this is the moment i knew that "rat rods" had not only jumped the shark, but did a sweet backflip while in mid air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXhyCCrXM7g

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
10/19/12 5:20 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: this is the moment i knew that "rat rods" had not only jumped the shark, but did a sweet backflip while in mid air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXhyCCrXM7g

Yes, the traditional/rat rod scene has some silliness, especially when celebrities get involved. It has some good things, too, though: people who love cars, people who work on their own cars, people who are not afraid to try to fabricate bits of their cars themselves.

Now let's talk about the important stuff. I like the pretty bettie page wannabes in their poodle skirts. (No need to hotlink them here. You can put them up in the good god almighty thread.)

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
10/19/12 6:40 a.m.

I do wish! Hot Rodding was dead to a few. Hot Rodding is not for all.

Ebay Rat Rot

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZFHeziNBe84YeiXhoJ56IdoQCJYq7eiJyg4DA8x3UHHjVRzzWumkukrRSkVMzCWK