Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/4/21 10:46 a.m.

A few weeks ago I picked up  2004 Honda Civic two door auto..... Just a commuter scooter no real issues till yesterday. 

Yesterday we had our first hard frost.

The first issue was both door lock cylinder were frozen, was able to get the pass side cylinder to unlock. 

Then I found both doors frozen, got in the driver's door and started the car, go to put the side windows down, yup frozen.

Turn the wipers on, yup frozen,  knock them loose and pull the washer sprayer and berkeleying frozen!!!

Final get the car thawed out and take off.

This morning,  same bullE36 M3.  berkeley it get in the 600k Pontiac and down the road we go.

Anyone have some suggestions on how to fix this nonsense? A remote start system might help some of these issues.

If not this car is gone, I will not spend 15-20 every morning breaking in this car and thawing it out.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/4/21 11:12 a.m.

Maybe lube everything up with a silicone spray?

Should help keep water out and still lubricates when cold. You can even put it on the window guides and seals and the door insulation rubber. (tricks from learning to keep minivan sliding doors working in the winter)

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
11/4/21 11:13 a.m.

I'd start with trying de-icer washer fluid, lube the locks and seals, and new wiper blades.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/4/21 11:38 a.m.

You need water to freeze door locks.  Once the car has been warmed up and the water melts it should be okay, unless you do something to add more water like wash the car.  If the doors seals are stuck, again remove any moisture and then lube them up with silicone.  Frozen windshield washer fluid is obvious, dump it out and get some with antifreeze.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
11/4/21 12:12 p.m.

WD (water displacement) 40 in the locks, as stuart suggested dry door seals and door opening contact points and treat with spray on silicone. Purchase the blue windshield washer fluid. You could cover the windshield with a sheet or just raise the wipers off the wind shield. You should experience driving in Minnesota's sub zero environment.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/4/21 12:58 p.m.

My BMW used to do these things. I put antifreeze in a spray bottle and sprayed all the locks and trim.  Worked well for years.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/4/21 2:09 p.m.

BMW use to sell (maybe still does) a tube of stuff called "gummi pflege" for protecting door seals.  Besides being fun to pronounce, it also helps keep the seals from sticking in winter.  Looks like Amazon sells a similar product.

Gummi Pflege Stift

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/4/21 2:32 p.m.

Ice racers wrap tubing around the manifold, one end goes to the Washer fluid, the other to the squirters.

Won't solve it all.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/4/21 5:01 p.m.

If the washer fluid froze, that indicates that the PO never used the washers and the methanol evaporated out.  That or they were just filling it with water.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/4/21 10:06 p.m.

Thanks for all the input, I will start with the simple things first.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/4/21 11:14 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

If the washer fluid froze, that indicates that the PO never used the washers and the methanol evaporated out.  That or they were just filling it with water.

Depending on the temperature it could be summer washer fluid in it

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/5/21 6:11 a.m.

The Honda sold Shinetsu silicone grease also works wonders for keeping the doors from sticking shut on the seals in winter.  A tube is a bit pricy, but will last a long time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QeThWJRniUfUAsHvq3KMoNXcHQb4mLETpBPsiesvxwxg4Sk7cJKt4yq4eT81PaPx