4 5 6 7
JAdams
JAdams Reader
4/8/22 8:30 a.m.

In reply to thashane :

Just watched the video again and holy E36 M3 am I excited about the release of this car. I've never been so ready to hand over my money.

thashane
thashane Reader
4/8/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to JAdams :

ya, sames'. I was going to put an LSD in the MINI, but now I'd rather put that money towards another Corolla. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/8/22 3:40 p.m.

According to Edmunds.com Toyota is only going to build 6600 of these things for the first year:

Only 6,600 units will be produced for the 2023 model year

Median
Median New Reader
4/8/22 3:54 p.m.

I was hoping that they would make more. Then I could maybe have a chance of getting one.

thashane
thashane Reader
4/9/22 12:01 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

I hope they all come with the performance package

te72
te72 Reader
4/9/22 12:05 a.m.

I don't need one first year, though a Circuit Edition would be nice. I like a couple of the extra touches. Will it be worth the extra expense? That remains to be seen. I could just as easily make a base model look as nice with a set of Work wheels...

So, being as this is GRM and all, anyone think it'd be possible to convert a normal E210 Corolla into one of these? With the price of a quality paint job these days, it makes me wonder if that'd be the more economical way of getting a Galactic Aqua GR Corolla. =P

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
4/9/22 8:11 a.m.

Looks like the core package is the way to go with perf pack. The circuit wing really makes it look like a hot hatch, hoping it's possible to get that separate or the aftermarket will step in with a similar offering.

Only 1500 circuit will be made and only offered in 2023.

With production delays, will we ever see these on the lot (and give us a chance to even get one close to MSRP), or will deposit/preorders simply go right into the customers hand with markups? Even into 2023, production is still likely to be slow all around the industry. And with electrification taking off, how many years will this be in production, 2 to 3 max? 3 years puts it at 2023, 2024, 2025 model years. In 2025 the base chassis Corolla might be phased out. This kind of lines up with the RS; they started so late into the base chassis life cycle, it was only offered for 3 years.

Hopefully they see the demand and increase numbers beyond 6600 after the first model year 2023. They're probably starting pretty late into 2022, so it's promising 2024 model year will have more numbers.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
4/9/22 12:06 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's already over 6600 deposits in North America only. The dealer I went to serves maybe ~20,000 people and when I went to put down my deposit a few hours before the official release, I was second in line, someone beating me to the punch earlier that day.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/22 10:03 p.m.

I've contacted a few dealers and none of them are interested in taking a deposit until more details are released.  I feel like I'm missing out!  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/9/22 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

Here's what the dealer near me said - I called her before the unveiling.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/9/22 10:52 p.m.

I'm hoping they sell every single one and it leads to them also selling a more attainable/medium-hot Corolla. Like a Civic Si competitor if the GR Corolla is the Type R equivalent.

te72
te72 Reader
4/10/22 3:30 a.m.

Anyone remember the Corolla XRS? I always thought of that one as the AE111 we never received here.

I reached out to Mark Miller Toyota, so far, no meaningful response. Either they're super busy, or not interested in my business. All I asked was if it would be possible to get my name put on a list...

thashane
thashane Reader
4/10/22 9:36 a.m.
te72 said:

Anyone remember the Corolla XRS? I always thought of that one as the AE111 we never received here.

I reached out to Mark Miller Toyota, so far, no meaningful response. Either they're super busy, or not interested in my business. All I asked was if it would be possible to get my name put on a list...

There was a Celica at AX yesterday, and it reminded me of an XRS my buddy had 15? years ago. I was amused when the car wouldnt let him into i-vtec (or whatever it was called) until it was warm enough. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/10/22 4:57 p.m.

In reply to thashane :

I remember that a buddy's Prelude back in the day back in the day that would do the same thing. Probably a means of keeping the bearings from getting destroyed because the oil isn't gonna flow fast enough.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/10/22 8:34 p.m.

I wonder if they'll sell a crate engine of this motor. It would be sweet for swapping. 300hp 3.cyl heck yeah. 

te72
te72 Reader
4/10/22 10:59 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I have an Exocet with a home for it if that's the case. Depending on weight, of course. Current plan is a 4P K340, but weight is paramount with that car.

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
4/12/22 6:37 a.m.
thashane said:

4/06 Toyota Video is talking big talk. I am the excited - still

What I like about that commercial is it has musical elements/tones from the first Scion FR-S commercial...

If were in financial position to do so I would absolutely love a GR Corolla... economy rally car... yes please. Wish Toyota would have done this a few years ago....

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/22 7:31 a.m.
dculberson said:

I wonder if they'll sell a crate engine of this motor. It would be sweet for swapping. 300hp 3.cyl heck yeah. 

Depending on the physical dimensions and transmission availability, that engine sounds like it would be awesome in a classic Mini.

thashane
thashane Reader
4/12/22 10:13 a.m.

In reply to Vracer111 :

they kinda did with the GR Yaris - just not in North America. I'm thinking FRS/86 sales are who we really have to thank for this, and the Civic TR. I wonder how well the Rolla would've been received if it wasnt foreshadowed by the Yaris.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/12/22 1:28 p.m.
Vracer111 said:
thashane said:

4/06 Toyota Video is talking big talk. I am the excited - still

What I like about that commercial is it has musical elements/tones from the first Scion FR-S commercial...

If were in financial position to do so I would absolutely love a GR Corolla... economy rally car... yes please. Wish Toyota would have done this a few years ago....

What rally cars WEREN'T economy cars?  Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Stratos, and various Ferraris.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
4/12/22 2:05 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Quattro, 911, 240Z, A110. but that's going back when rally cars were sports cars.

It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota switched to the Corolla in WRC like Ford went from the Fiesta to the Puma. There'd be more room for suspension and aero mods.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/12/22 4:23 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

The Corolla is too large for WRC.  Same reason Ford went to the Fiesta, the maximum dimensions changed so they had to go to a different car.

Not that it matters for anything but marketing, as a production GR does not have a 4 cylinder engine, clutch diffs (Torsen diffs are banned, if they even wanted to use them), or a semiautomatic transmission.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
4/12/22 6:48 p.m.

This year Ford switched to the Puma mini-SUV, though it isn't that different from the Fiesta. They said for marketability rather than any performance advantage, although the size probably came in handy for fitting the mandated hybrid powertrains. Plus the cars no longer have production chassis and are tube framed.

Just read that the GR Corolla won't be sold in Europe, so a WRC car is extremely unlikely unless the other GR car is discontinued.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/12/22 7:02 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I don't think they have had to be production chassis or engines for ten years or so.

They also went to a spec gearbox a while back, which is why Subaru bowed out. They were getting less and less competitive and with the rule change, they figured on leaving rather than trying to get a variance.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
4/12/22 7:17 p.m.

Did not know about the gearbox, but I thought it was because everyone was hurting in 2008, which is why Honda bowed out of F1.

Subaru debuted the STi hatchback WRC car midway through that season and it got a podium first time out. It was pretty disappointing for them to quit after not even a full season with a new car and leaving Petter Solberg high and dry.

4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
exDEtOAS4QQVUoh9ObIvihTYDZ0W9g2nezOKHv0ef9h58wesCosiEd8RhUnKH484