vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/24/23 12:37 p.m.

A friend who does a lot of trail running came across this hulk of a wreck. Can you identify it?

Aaaannnnnnddd, go!

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/23 12:49 p.m.

There are two wrecks like that on the hike up to Party Rock,  above Lake Lure NC.  But they look like vehicles that were abandoned after they slid off the very bad logging road.   Yours looks more like it was dropped out of an aircraft.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
7/24/23 12:53 p.m.

To start I see a strut suspension, 2 door hardtop with a distinctive body line and big chrome bumpers.  There probably isn't that big an overlap on timeline for both struts and big chrome bumpers.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/23 12:59 p.m.

From what little I can see of that rear pillar and quarter, it's making me see Dodge Coronet:

Or maybe Ford Fairlane:

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/24/23 1:02 p.m.
Sonic said:

To start I see a strut suspension, 2 door hardtop with a distinctive body line and big chrome bumpers.  There probably isn't that big an overlap on timeline for both struts and big chrome bumpers.  

This..  chrome bumpers and Mcpherson struts has got to narrow it down.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/23 1:06 p.m.

The crease down the side made me think "Nova".

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/24/23 1:09 p.m.
bludroptop said:
Sonic said:

Why does it look like there's a Macpherson and a regular shock?  

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/23 1:09 p.m.

Front suspension seems like it has early British style two piece upper control arms, and a yoke, suggesting AMC.

The additional shocks threw me off a bit, but I have known some people (raises hand) who added damping by bolting a cheap second pair of shocks to their front suspension.

The doors don't seem right for anything AMC, but I am going to stand firm and say it's the remains of an AMC until stronger evidence to the contrary is presented.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/24/23 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I'm also in the AMC camp due to the rear axle hub visible in first pic. I'm thinking ambassador. Gonna search images for that front furn signal shape.

7/24/23 1:23 p.m.

i'm going with 1965 AMC Ambassador for front bumper end shape, front turn signal shape, b-pillar width, body-line crease.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/23 1:29 p.m.

Oh, I missed the axle!

I am now focusing on the rear quarter window length and roof shape, because there is not much else to go by.  The C pillar seems wrong for a Rebel.  Looks just right to be a 2 door Rambler.

I guess this means the guy in the Cadillac told him how to get it out of second gear?  wink

7/24/23 1:44 p.m.

i'm sticking with 65-66 Ambassador 2 door hardtop.  consistent front bumper features, body line below door handles, and the recess for finger clearance where the door handle should be.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/23 1:48 p.m.

You may be right, but I can't see how one can tell the difference with what is left of the vehicle.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/23 2:01 p.m.

Because of the rectangular turn signals, I's say AMC - Rambler; the  hoop behind the rear door jamb makes me think convertable.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
7/24/23 2:41 p.m.

Definitely a car 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
7/24/23 2:59 p.m.

Did he look for skeletons?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/24/23 5:42 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Definitely a car 

Was a car

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
7/24/23 6:13 p.m.

I'm sure the owner knows what he has and won't take any lowball offers from his $60,000 asking price.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/24/23 7:37 p.m.

If you zoom in on the last picture you can see the lower control arm. And the fact that there's no engine. I think I see a bellhousing at the firewall. Does that help?

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
7/24/23 9:13 p.m.

It looks like it was front steer and the blinkers are in the lower half of the front bumper.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
7/24/23 9:26 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
bludroptop said:
Sonic said:

Why does it look like there's a Macpherson and a regular shock?  

Damnit.  My bad, guys.  Thats an exhaust.  The upper portion is a section of braided flex pipe.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/24/23 9:34 p.m.

65-66 rambler classic or Ambassador based on the "that's totally amc/rambler front suspension" and the shape of the front bumper end/turn signal. I had a 66 Classic 660 and a lot looked very familiar to me right away

lack of trim on the body crease lends me towards AC's Ambassador over a Classic

edit: that's not a mac strut, it's a spring mount and that is a shock behind it. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/24/23 11:15 p.m.

Definitely the early Ambassador. AMC trunion front suspension, but pre-68 door handles are your two major clues.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
7/24/23 11:39 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
adhUGivOr4YfOKRYMVUhd1fllpRZcHCggD4n7EOndGw1v9XCF0U61XfngW5g2Jtt