1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
8/8/12 12:50 p.m.

I was out riding the motorcycle at lunch, and an orange FR-S came blasting around a curve in the opposite direction. (Uphill, on-camber, really on the gas pedal) All the hype was deserved, it is a sweet car in motion.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/8/12 12:59 p.m.

yes, yes it is

It is one of the only new cars I've been tempted to buy.......very very tempted!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
8/8/12 1:40 p.m.

How did it sound?

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
8/8/12 1:50 p.m.

You'll change your mind when you look at the sticker and see that the dealer has added an additional $5,000 to the msrp

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
8/8/12 1:53 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote: You'll change your mind when you look at the sticker and see that the dealer has added an additional $5,000 to the msrp

Idk, I don't get the hype, I test drove one and it felt like a very mundane car. Doesn't feel any quicker than my civic Si and feels just like a rwd version of one at that. Couple that with the price and markup you can get a base Mustang GT or V6 premium with the suspension goodies for the same price.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
8/8/12 2:01 p.m.

But the Mustang doesn't appeal to me, the FR-S does. It's like the difference between a blowjob and a kick in the nuts.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/8/12 2:18 p.m.

Apparent rules of all FRS/BRZ threads:

1. Participants must mention dealer gouging.

2. Comparisons must be made with much bigger/heavier sports cars near the same price point, of course including said dealer gouging.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/8/12 2:23 p.m.
Matt B wrote: Apparent rules of all FRS/BRZ threads: 1. Participants must mention dealer gouging. 2. Comparisons must be made with much bigger/heavier sports cars near the same price point, of course including said dealer gouging.
  1. In addition, comparisons must be made against used cars.
Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/8/12 2:27 p.m.

Until I drive one myself, my biggest complaint is that it looks like a 4x4. The large wheel gap combined with the tall looking fenders just doesn't look very "sporty". Other than appearance, I cannot say yay or nay as I haven't driven one.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/8/12 2:28 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Dang, I knew I was forgetting something!

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
8/8/12 2:57 p.m.

I have seen 4 or 5 and thought they looked great in person- that is they looked smallish. And if goes as fast as a k series motivated SI and costs about the same (when things settle down), count me in.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
8/8/12 3:22 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5932907/first-turbocharged-subaru-brz-boosted-to-278-horsepower

Good to see once warranties starting expiring and depreciation sets in the cars might have more potential for fun

Note that the 200 stock HPis fly wheel as they say here its 160whp and they took it to 278whp

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/8/12 3:25 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: http://jalopnik.com/5932907/first-turbocharged-subaru-brz-boosted-to-278-horsepower Good to see once warranties starting expiring and depreciation sets in the cars might have more potential for fun Note that the 200 stock HPis fly wheel as they say here its 160whp and they took it to 278whp

That sounded ridiculously responsive.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
8/8/12 3:49 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: http://jalopnik.com/5932907/first-turbocharged-subaru-brz-boosted-to-278-horsepower Good to see once warranties starting expiring and depreciation sets in the cars might have more potential for fun Note that the 200 stock HPis fly wheel as they say here its 160whp and they took it to 278whp

Toyota said back at the end of April that there's not going to be a factory turbo option for the twins ever. Something about pushing the car into the 30k range. I'm glad that shops are making good progress towards the aftermarket options despite all the naysayers. Now is that 278whp reliable enough to drive every day?

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/8/12 4:00 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
Toyota said back at the end of April that there's not going to be a factory turbo option for the twins ever. Something about pushing the car into the 30k range. I'm glad that shops are making good progress towards the aftermarket options despite all the naysayers. Now is that 278whp reliable enough to drive every day?

Yet TRD has been working on a supercharger. Think TRD Supercharged Scion tC, Camry/Solara/4runner/Xrunner/Tundra, etc...

The0retical
The0retical Reader
8/8/12 4:08 p.m.

That's the rumor but it will appear as a dealer installed item not as a trim level (splitting hairs I know. ) As I recall, please correct me if I'm wrong, those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/8/12 4:10 p.m.

Now this is why there's a buzz about the twins.

It is a well balance chassis and a blank canvas that allows you to make of it what you will.

Many cars don't take well to mods.

92CelicaHalfTrac
8/8/12 4:13 p.m.
The0retical wrote: That's the rumor but it will appear as a dealer installed item not as a trim level (splitting hairs I know. ) As I recall, please correct me if I'm wrong, those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.

Right. Dealer installed with a warranty.

I like the idea, honestly...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/8/12 4:16 p.m.
The0retical wrote: those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.

That's a problem with superchargers in general. Superchargers are now obsolete IMO, they had a use in an age when the turbo lag could be even worse than a supercharger's total rev-dependence.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/8/12 4:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
The0retical wrote: those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.
That's a problem with superchargers in general. Superchargers are now obsolete IMO, they had a use in an age when the turbo lag could be even worse than a supercharger's total rev-dependence.

or, they were set up so that the supercharger only provided boost at WOT to get around emissions issues like CARB and the like... whichever

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/8/12 4:27 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote:
phaze1todd wrote: You'll change your mind when you look at the sticker and see that the dealer has added an additional $5,000 to the msrp
Idk, I don't get the hype, I test drove one and it felt like a very mundane car. Doesn't feel any quicker than my civic Si and feels just like a rwd version of one at that. Couple that with the price and markup you can get a base Mustang GT or V6 premium with the suspension goodies for the same price.

I think at MSRP the FR-S is a very good deal. Not so much with dealer markups, but not all dealers are charging markups, so shop around, or wait until the hoopla dies down a bit.

By the way....although the Mustang is a very different car, we had a GT in the office recently equipped exactly how I'd order one--- no wing, no stripes, no nav, no leather-- It had LSD, the Recaros and the Brembos. List price-------

$39K

If you'd like to compare a V6 Mustang to an FR-S go ahead......but the V8 car is not in the same price realm.

The beauty of an FR-S is in the direct driving experience. Reading figures won't give you an appreciation of the car. Getting one on track will!

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/8/12 4:56 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Until I drive one myself, my biggest complaint is that it looks like a 4x4. The large wheel gap combined with the tall looking fenders just doesn't look very "sporty". Other than appearance, I cannot say yay or nay as I haven't driven one.

Yeah...I guess I can see where some people could confuse this with a 4x4, what with the large wheel gaps and all. It is quite obvious that the FRS dwarfs the MGB GT. By the way, note that the GT is lowered.

You would not believe how much trouble it is to find in a parking lot full of trucks, it just blends in!

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/8/12 5:01 p.m.

Kinda reminds me of another sporty little car that had huge dealer markups.

Note the HUGE wheel gaps Here, I'll fix it:

Yeah, that looks better.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
8/8/12 5:03 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: By the way....although the Mustang is a very different car, we had a GT in the office recently equipped exactly how I'd order one--- no wing, no stripes, no nav, no leather-- It had LSD, the Recaros and the Brembos.

Just an FYI, LSD has been stock in all V8 Mustangs since the mid-'80s.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/8/12 5:14 p.m.

NOHOME you have an FR-S and an MGB GT and no reader's rides entries for either one? This is terrible.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K6E9iLcxpFcxLtUsiA8P4B61iHjIEAHakSmJLs5oVONvMVjOu7OWBEVFeWMBptnA