1 2 3
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
8/9/12 3:45 p.m.

Easy now......

NOHOME has been pretty upfront about things he isn't happy with about the FR-S. He hasn't exactly been doing the fanboi thing.

Let's all play together nicely here........

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/9/12 7:43 p.m.

dirtybird

Joe is right. If you dig around, you will find that I did a reviewof the car after a few weeks of driving. I would not say that it was a glowing report. This is a good car. I am not ready to put it on the "great car" list for a number of reasons.

Someone mentioned that I had buyers regret. Not at all. There is plenty to like about the car if you like compact light weight RWD cars.As for the price, I dont find 32k (this is Canada and we have 13% sales tax) all- in sitting in my driveway to be a lot of money for the car. I have owned, and the wife still does, 21k cars. This feels much nicer and I am happy for it.I wish ferrari sold their cars for 25k, but it aint gonna happen.

Am I gonna make fun of those who pontificate over the car without driving it, like a couple of teenages debating the merrits of centerfold models? Yeah, I will

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
8/10/12 7:31 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
AverageH wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
AverageH wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
The0retical wrote: those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.
That's a problem with superchargers in general. Superchargers are now obsolete IMO, they had a use in an age when the turbo lag could be even worse than a supercharger's total rev-dependence.
You haven't driven a properly setup supercharged car then; maybe a low boost setup? I'm at 250 to the wheels in my miata with a blower. It's just amazing and completely different than when I first had it at 6psi. Turbos are awesome of course, but the blower is instant. I'd do it again in a heartbeat- possibly with a bigger blower though. -Hamid
I'm assuming an Ubercharger or a Lysholm unit?
No actually! It's an M62, running about 14psi. The torque is quite good at 220 as well. There is still some headroom too if I want to add boost. I also still have yet to improve the intake, and the exhaust manifold is still stock as well. I may do a light rebuild at some point for some stronger rods and such, and then shoot for 300 to the wheels. In the meantime it's been awesome, reliable, and returning 30mpg if I don't boost too much. Not bad for 110,000 miles on the clock! -Hamid
The car isn't "Big Gulp," is it?

Nope! Ha ha, that's an awesome car though! Mine is a hotside with an A/A intercooler. I don't think there are a lot of people running this much power with the SC, but I didn't do that much that was special: standalone engine management (Hydra), 550cc injectors, big throttle body, IC, and a few other goodies. There may be 5-10 other people or so that I know of with a similar power output using the same blower. Good flow helps. A '99 head would help too, but that will be a while down the road for me.

-Hamid

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
8/11/12 7:57 a.m.
those supercharged TCs were ok but the you really had to mash on them to get the supercharger going.

Put a centrifugal on a small motor with a low peak boost setting, and what do you get? Probably 2-3 psi in the midrange. So yeah, instead of spending multiple thousands for that thing, just install a proper roots blower like Hamid here is talking about.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
8/11/12 12:06 p.m.

One of our local autocross hot shoes just got one to replace his STX RX8. In classic Scooby Blue. I don't know what class he plans to run yet, but I'm hoping if I can make it to an event this year I can get a ride in it. Hopefully before he sells it (its just what he does...).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MyChZXQZIHhmB6EF4Uh7qDPpjxhsu1HoIxXyNaDVLqIeBFMuwpT2ScUHmeV42Et3