3 4 5
turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
6/18/12 12:15 p.m.
failboat wrote: I agree the sc430 wheels do not look great. I cannot agree that the car is bad looking though...at least not slightly modified.

I think we'll agree to disagree on that point...

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
6/18/12 2:09 p.m.

I like the SC430 and the wheels. Just not together

SC430 wheels look particularly good on 1st gen LS400s and Previas, at least to me. But I'm biased.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
6/18/12 10:02 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
JamesMcD wrote: Yeah those would looks badass on an MS3! I would settle for 17x8s all around on my FD. Lets go together and buy two sets and split them up! Sets pop up used for around $1000.
You present an interesting proposition. Were finances a little more settled, I'd say game on.

Lets keep the idea in our heads. I'm not un-serious about it. I also have the money issue right now though

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/19/12 8:46 a.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote: I like the SC430 and the wheels. Just not together SC430 wheels look particularly good on 1st gen LS400s and Previas, at least to me. But I'm biased.

Just curious- Is the last picture supposed to be good or bad? After following this thread, I'm not sure anymore, but they look awful to me.

An ass for every chair, i suppose.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Reader
6/19/12 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

I like em, they remind me of Work Eurolines and imo much better than the stock rims that was on there, plus the price was right and they came with tires. Ass for every chair indeed, but there are so many uglier wheels than this.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/19/12 4:18 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I can't find a good pic right now, but the wheels on the new Ford Edge with the Sport package are quite hideous.

I saw one yesterday, must agree. They look like chromed hubcaps.

I had these on all my 1st gen RX7's. I like 'em.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/19/12 4:38 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
mndsm wrote:
JamesMcD wrote: Yeah those would looks badass on an MS3! I would settle for 17x8s all around on my FD. Lets go together and buy two sets and split them up! Sets pop up used for around $1000.
You present an interesting proposition. Were finances a little more settled, I'd say game on.
Lets keep the idea in our heads. I'm not un-serious about it. I also have the money issue right now though

Trust me, I'm serious about it.... though I can say for sure there's only one set for sale right now, it's on eBay, and they want 2 grand for it.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Reader
6/19/12 6:16 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
JamesMcD wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Trust me, I'm serious about it.... though I can say for sure there's only one set for sale right now, it's on eBay, and they want 2 grand for it.

$2k is too much. I see them come up on the RX7club forum sometimes and they languish on there at $1100 or more. Most people do not like them. Only problem is that about 1/3 of the sets I've seen have been painted black. I don't want black ones and I don't want to refinish them.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/19/12 6:47 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
mndsm wrote:
JamesMcD wrote:
mndsm wrote:
$2k is too much. I see them come up on the RX7club forum sometimes and they languish on there at $1100 or more. Most people do not like them. Only problem is that about 1/3 of the sets I've seen have been painted black. I don't want black ones and I don't want to refinish them.

Eh, no rush. I'm sure a couple sets will show up sooner or later.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/21/12 2:36 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
jere wrote: All of the TSW wheels I have ever seen
Cant agree with that myself. The omega was particularly hot, I would rock the Croft in the ad you posted on my GTI and the OG Hockenheim was a great looking wheel in its day.

I'm a bit partial to the EVO wheels...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
6/21/12 7:55 a.m.

As OEM wheels go, I still agree with the original poster. When I was considering a GTI about a year and a half ago, I had decided if I bought one to ask if they would swap the more subdued TDI Golf rims onto the car.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
6/21/12 9:18 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Fellas, fellas, you have forgotten about the Z24 wheel. My god, the horror!
MY VOTE. Square center caps?

Yep, square center caps. Had an 88 Z24 with wheels like that I bought for my daughters. Acquired another one as a parts car with better aftermarket wheels but didn't have a key/tool to remove the locking lugnuts. Just thought they were different and no one else had them so therefore had to be kinda cool.

laz
laz Reader
6/25/12 11:41 p.m.
Grizz wrote: So I guess I'm the only one who would rock a set of Ronal Teddies on a race car for E36 M3s and giggles?

We put them on my 24Hrs of LeMons car. They were terrible. They keep the heat in the brakes, and boiled the fluid on the E30 during every practice session. We had to stop running them.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
6/26/12 2:42 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: These:

These. Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand wheels that aren't symmetrical -- especially swooshy ones like these, where the swoosh points one direction on one side of the car and the opposite direction on the other side of the car. Maybe I'm just too OCD.

B430
B430 Reader
6/26/12 3:09 a.m.

Some cars have different wheels for the left and right (my rx-7 did) looks really great when they get mixed up and they point different directions on the same side.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/26/12 5:47 a.m.
DustoffDave wrote: These. Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand wheels that aren't symmetrical -- especially swooshy ones like these, where the swoosh points one direction on one side of the car and the opposite direction on the other side of the car. Maybe I'm just too OCD.

It ain't just you.

petegossett
petegossett UltraDork
6/26/12 6:50 a.m.

In reply to DustoffDave:

I have a hunch all these 90's ARE wheels will be hot collectibles in another 20 years.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
6/26/12 7:09 a.m.

Funny thing about the "Telephone Dial" GTI wheels in the OP, the British mags are crazy about them for some reason. I'm halfway though this month's Evo and they've actually referred to them as "gorgeous" in two separate articles in one issue!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/26/12 7:53 a.m.

OEM wheels are almost invariably ugly. I could never understand why OEMs had to make their wheels look so "busy." Most people like a simple 5-, 6-, or 7-spoke wheel.

As for not liking TSWs, I have to completely disagree. Yeah, they make some ugly ones, but I personally like most of their designs. And some of them (like the TSW Nurburgrings I have on my Mustang) look quite nice, and are rotary forged, making them strong and very lightweight.

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
6/26/12 12:08 p.m.

I had an '86 SVO. I thought the wheels were pretty ugly.....come to think of it, the whole car was pretty ugly.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3tNBgj9AfAMBEuY32IGKGUtufm2EnUOX6oiHlM7IEF4YUAZjtHl9UwONtS9IDoGc