1 2 3
HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/14/11 12:25 p.m.

I guess we'll see if it is mine tonight. 1995 WRX STi Type RA (so it has DCCD, is lighter, and has a different valve train that allows a higher rev limit compared to the stock wrx's of that era). The 95's could come with A/C and power windows (this one has A/C which I'll probably remove, am unsure if it has power windows/locks), unlike the 93/94 WRX Type RA's which did not.

If everything works out, it should have close to 400hp in ~2 weeks. And then its Time Attack baby! Along with judicial amounts of rally-x of course

It should also look nice next to my buddies wagon (we're so jdyam it hurts!)

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/14/11 12:30 p.m.

Instant classic.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/14/11 12:36 p.m.

sexy

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
3/14/11 12:49 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: RA DCCD jdyam

Translations for the rest of us?

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/14/11 12:58 p.m.

RA - model designation

DCCD - Driver controlled center differential?

jdyam - JDM (yo!)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/14/11 1:00 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Translations for the rest of us?

Instead of JDM (japanese domestic market), I call right hand drive cars from japan-land jdyam cars (making fun of the ricers/wannabes who are all about stuff being "overnighted from japan" and the like). Sorry ;)

The RA model is sort of a Subaru designation like the Type R is for Honda. The RA model was essentially a stripped down Impreza, with all of the cool racing goodies. Lots of them had cages installed before they were sold, most of them were destined for Group A competition in rallying before the World Rally Car became standard.

Along with the 1995 being the first year the Impreza STi Type RA was available with DCCD (explained later in this post), it received a better intercooler than the standard WRX, better suspension, intercooler water sprayer, close ratio gear box (5th gear at 110km/h or 70mph is very close to 4000rpm!) and some other things I forget! Basically, its the ultimate version of an STi that you could get back then from the factory.

ONLY available beginning in 1995 on STi Type RA's was DCCD. You could buy an WRX, WRX RA or a STi, but only the STi came with DCCD (DRIVER CONTROLLED CENTER DIFFERENTIAL) aka an electronic centre diff. Having driven RHD and LHD WRX's and STi's, I can tell you that the difference the DCCD makes is night and day on pavement of gravel.

I can also tell you that I would prefer any day of the week (twice on tuesdays) this model year of STi vs a 04-07. If only it was LHD...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
3/14/11 1:02 p.m.

That thing is awesome. WANT!!!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/14/11 1:25 p.m.

care to share what it cost? I assume it's already in the North America.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
3/14/11 1:30 p.m.

I.

Hate.

You.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/14/11 1:47 p.m.
sachilles wrote: care to share what it cost? I assume it's already in the North America.

Not at all.

First things first, I have not "officially" bought this car yet. What had happened is I am dealing with a broker to facilitate buying A car (not this car specifically). He used to run a dealership and store front, but now does all of his business strictly as a broker with no stock HERE in North America.

This STi was advertised on his site for 2 months. I hummed and hawed, and on the day I contacted him, it had sold the night before. I then asked him to find me another one like it (if not cheaper, this car will be raced, and as such dents and poor bodywork is fine as long as there is no rust). Apparently, the person who purchased it only put a deposit down and is unable to come up with the money. I will know this evening if it is indeed mine or not.

As for the price, there are some things to consider. My broker does his costs landed, aka "all in" including tax. Included in that price is his $1200 brokerage fee. Shipping a car is ~$2k to $3k from Japan to a Vancouver port, I don't have the specific number. I was also looking at a beat STi that sold for $200cdn (you'd have to read up and understand why that is in regards to Japan), so you can figure this one was purchased in Japan for about $2k cdn.

My landed cost is $6500. I'll have to fly out to Vancouver ($99) and drive back ($200), as well as get an out of province inspection ($150). So, for E36 M3s and giggles we will say $7k and I am driving the car everyday. The car only has 90,000kms on it and is MUCH quicker than a bagged to crap, 200,000km WRX

Edit- And I've been told RHD improves your sex-life by 63%

But also makes drive thru unpossible without a passenger.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/14/11 1:59 p.m.

Looks sweet! I hope you get it. I always liked that bodystyle best...

I don't do drive-throughs but I have been known to stop, turn around, and reverse through the automated gates at parking garages. You get all kinds of hilarious looks doing that.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/14/11 2:24 p.m.

OK, now I hate you.......and Canada, but I'm happy for you.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
3/14/11 2:44 p.m.

Very cool. I drove a RHD Toyota Hilux here for about a year - wasn't too bad.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku Dork
3/14/11 3:57 p.m.

yup, reverse thru the drive-thru. I've been known to do this when my co-pilot is hungry and I'm not....

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/14/11 4:41 p.m.

DJ AM RIP...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/14/11 4:49 p.m.

Check insurance costs. A friend of mine who's imported a couple of UKDM (wot?) cars reports that insurance companies are getting really twitchy about RHD cars due to some high-profile accidents.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/14/11 5:21 p.m.
Keith wrote: Check insurance costs. A friend of mine who's imported a couple of UKDM (wot?) cars reports that insurance companies are getting really twitchy about RHD cars due to some high-profile accidents.

Insurance works different in Alberta (and probably most of Canada) compared to the states

Basically, in Alberta there is a government framework that the insurance companies must abide by for basic liability. I could be driving a brand new lambo or ferrari right now and my liability costs would be the same. That doesn't stop insurance companies from NOT insuring your car though ;)

I already have talked to my provider about it, they are fine (the biggest insurance provider in Alberta). I also have friends with the same provider with RHD cars, so that is another positive as well. Things get sticky though when you have a caged vehicle (that is for another thread!)

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
3/14/11 9:00 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Keith wrote: Check insurance costs. A friend of mine who's imported a couple of UKDM (wot?) cars reports that insurance companies are getting really twitchy about RHD cars due to some high-profile accidents.
Insurance works different in Alberta (and probably most of Canada) compared to the states Basically, in Alberta there is a government framework that the insurance companies must abide by for basic liability. I could be driving a brand new lambo or ferrari right now and my liability costs would be the same. That doesn't stop insurance companies from NOT insuring your car though ;) I already have talked to my provider about it, they are fine (the biggest insurance provider in Alberta). I also have friends with the same provider with RHD cars, so that is another positive as well. Things get sticky though when you have a caged vehicle (that is for another thread!)

Caged? Why does that raise insurance costs? I thought it would make it safer...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
3/14/11 9:31 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Insurance works different in Alberta (and probably most of Canada) compared to the states

Yes, but I'm Canadian . I just happen to live in the US. Since you're in Canada, I was referring to Canadian insurance companies. I know that BC has a different insurance setup, I wasn't aware that Alberta was also unusual. In Ontario, there is apparently a developing problem with insuring RHD. Thus my suggestion to check - which you have, so good.

In the US, Hagerty never twitched about my RHD Mini.

And since when did safety have anything to do with insurance rates? I once asked my (Canadian) insurance company if they offered discounts for taking driving schools. The answer was yes - the senior citizen "how not to back over your spouse" one.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy SuperDork
3/14/11 9:50 p.m.
killerkane wrote: Caged? Why does that raise insurance costs? I thought it would make it safer...

Think about an un-helmeted head slamming into a piece of DOM tubing and you might understand. Two words: "brain trauma."

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
3/14/11 10:41 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
killerkane wrote: Caged? Why does that raise insurance costs? I thought it would make it safer...
Think about an un-helmeted head slamming into a piece of DOM tubing and you might understand. Two words: "brain trauma."

Ahhh touche... Hadn't thought of that yet.

killerkane
killerkane New Reader
3/14/11 10:42 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
sachilles wrote: care to share what it cost? I assume it's already in the North America.
Not at all. First things first, I have not "officially" bought this car yet. What had happened is I am dealing with a broker to facilitate buying A car (not this car specifically). He used to run a dealership and store front, but now does all of his business strictly as a broker with no stock HERE in North America. This STi was advertised on his site for 2 months. I hummed and hawed, and on the day I contacted him, it had sold the night before. I then asked him to find me another one like it (if not cheaper, this car will be raced, and as such dents and poor bodywork is fine as long as there is no rust). Apparently, the person who purchased it only put a deposit down and is unable to come up with the money. I will know this evening if it is indeed mine or not. As for the price, there are some things to consider. My broker does his costs landed, aka "all in" including tax. Included in that price is his $1200 brokerage fee. Shipping a car is ~$2k to $3k from Japan to a Vancouver port, I don't have the specific number. I was also looking at a beat STi that sold for $200cdn (you'd have to read up and understand why that is in regards to Japan), so you can figure this one was purchased in Japan for about $2k cdn. My landed cost is $6500. I'll have to fly out to Vancouver ($99) and drive back ($200), as well as get an out of province inspection ($150). So, for E36 M3s and giggles we will say $7k and I am driving the car everyday. The car only has 90,000kms on it and is MUCH quicker than a bagged to crap, 200,000km WRX Edit- And I've been told RHD improves your sex-life by 63% But also makes drive thru unpossible without a passenger.

Care to share the link to your broker with us?

I have always wanted to import a car from Japan but have never found a respectable/trustworthy looking site...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/15/11 12:53 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Think about an un-helmeted head slamming into a piece of DOM tubing and you might understand. Two words: "brain trauma."

What? Er, no, you are giving WAYYYYY to much credit where it ain't due. Presumably (and rightfully so), a car with a cage would be "raced". Irregardless of the fact that a car with a cage will probably be raced on a track where the insurance is void (versus the street) does not matter.

The rules (for this insurance company) are as follows:

You are not insurable if you have ADDED:

• turbocharger
  • supercharger
  • nitrous

Once you have added TWO of these things (you are allowed one), your car is not insurable:

• vehicle ride height changed
  • racing tires
  • roll cage

And I knew you were from the wrong side of Canada Keith, that's why I thought I'd explain For gosh darn sakes, we don't even run cat's in this day and age over here! And we can still drive whatever the hell we feel like

Edit- And killer, I don't believe he does US stuff. His site is jdmconnection.ca

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
3/15/11 11:22 p.m.

In Quebec, you cannot even register a RHD vehicle anymore. Those that were legally imported before some date (I can't remember exactly - I think sometime in 2010) can stay and be used till they expire, but no new ones.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
3/15/11 11:47 p.m.
NGTD wrote: In Quebec, you cannot even register a RHD vehicle anymore. Those that were legally imported before some date (I can't remember exactly - I think sometime in 2010) can stay and be used till they expire, but no new ones.

As Keith mentioned, it also sounds like Ontario is leaning this way. What utter crap! Having driven thousands of kilometers in RHD vehicles, the only issue is left hand turn lanes at lights, and all you have to do is wait longer for a better view (its like, being a defensive driver or something, gasp!) In fact, certain things (passing on highways, parallel parking in cramped downtown quarters, etc) are MUCH easier in a rhd car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bvVle71HCs34v78f17qw1Azd9z7BlJ7pcx73haGkq8ANMIg3VbhU5b4oLjjDLAFv