1 2
joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 4:54 p.m.

just the act of putting certain blowers onto other engines, like a jaguar roots-type blower and piping onto a bmw V8

got any stories?

and has anyone messed around with that special twin-screw blower that was on a lot of the mercedes AMGs from 2003-2007? had teflon coated rotors and a clutch so that it isnt a parasitic drain on the engine at idle or low revs

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
7/9/15 4:58 p.m.

I'd do it. There are a lot of guys who are successfully messing around with the Eatons off the GTPs, GSs, SSEis and Ultras.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/9/15 4:59 p.m.

Subscribed.

I really want to do a junkyard blower swap onto my tbi 350. I've never owned a blower car.

scottdownsouth
scottdownsouth Reader
7/9/15 5:04 p.m.

I say why not ?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/9/15 5:29 p.m.

I am all for the idea on a challange car. On something that you drive on the street or race, less inclined. I could buy a used supercharger / make a mounting plate / find a way to tune it / build a manifold / route pulleys from scratch.

If you can buy a kit and your time is not free it is almost always cheaper in my mind to go that route. If you make 7.25$ a hour and want something to play around with more power too you, I have just seen a lot of cars in pieces after someone tried to do something like this without the skills to finish everything.

joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 6:18 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I am all for the idea on a challange car. On something that you drive on the street or race, less inclined. I could buy a used supercharger / make a mounting plate / find a way to tune it / build a manifold / route pulleys from scratch. If you can buy a kit and your time is not free it is almost always cheaper in my mind to go that route. If you make 7.25$ a hour and want something to play around with more power too you, I have just seen a lot of cars in pieces after someone tried to do something like this without the skills to finish everything.

this is the kind of info i was trying to find

what would you say ends up being the big stumbling blocks for projects like this though? mostly machining?

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/9/15 6:35 p.m.

Obviously machining helps but if your skilled with a welder its not much of a problem. Theres lots of things to keep in mind, flow (similar to sizing a turbo per motor), pulley size needed to make sure it's spinning within its max rpm, extra fuel needed, retarding timing under boost, something to cool the super hot air coming out, ect. But as for used/junkyard superchargers you can find baby things off some privia minivans, m45s off some 4cyl mercedes and mini s, m62 on a few other mercs I believe (not easy to find in a yard but its a good one) m90s off fwd supercharged gm stuff in verious generations (newer were teflon coated) and supercoups but keep in mind the gm and ford units are different. Keep in mind most any supercharger you find in a yard needs a rebuild, to be honest its about the same effort as going turbocharged maybe a bit more. One last thing if you search the internet you can find a plate that standarizes the sc outlet for most commom superchargers which take a lot of the needed machine work out of the equation. Good luck im contemplating a homebrewed sc for my 1.6 miata, I have complete access to a full machine shop but my reasoning is might as well go turbo for better results

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 6:50 p.m.

Take clutched m62 from the Mb you spoke of. And take a m62 from an early Riviera. Swap the snout from the Riv to the Mb back housing and you get a fantastic short snout m62 with a much better housing for mounting and you go from an almost 5 inch pulley on the clutched Mb unit to a 2 3/8 " pulley that is on the short snout if the Rivera unit. This is not myth and legend. I did this and have it on the shelf along with the leftover bits.

joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 7:08 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Take clutched m62 from the Mb you spoke of. And take a m62 from an early Riviera. Swap the snout from the Riv to the Mb back housing and you get a fantastic short snout m62 with a much better housing for mounting and you go from an almost 5 inch pulley on the clutched Mb unit to a 2 3/8 " pulley that is on the short snout if the Rivera unit. This is not myth and legend. I did this and have it on the shelf along with the leftover bits.

the one on the mercedes isnt an eaton, its not even roots, its an honest to god twin screw, as in kenne bell/whipple. problem is the stock housing is kind of weird, the heat exchanger is directly below the blower which seems really inefficient for getting rid of heat

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/9/15 7:17 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Im 99.99% sure all the gm stuff was m90 and thay m62 parts don't fit a m90. That isnt to say there isnt short and long snouts thay interchange as long as its the same charger.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/9/15 7:20 p.m.

In reply to joekitch:

The c230 uses the m45 and slk230 uses a m62. The big boy mercs (amg) use that fancy lysholm supercharged. If my memory serves me corectly.

joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 7:38 p.m.
chiodos wrote: In reply to joekitch: The c230 uses the m45 and slk230 uses a m62. The big boy mercs (amg) use that fancy lysholm supercharged. If my memory serves me corectly.

yes the blower im talking about is AMG specific, in fact it's this mean bastard of a blower (with some pipes on the side)

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/9/15 7:48 p.m.

That ones going to move some air but it would be a hell of an effort to fit it all under a hood I feel. What car you planning on strapping that to?

joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 7:53 p.m.
chiodos wrote: That ones going to move some air but it would be a hell of an effort to fit it all under a hood I feel. What car you planning on strapping that to?

bmw 540i, whose hood is already somewhat restrictive. of course there is always the infamous powerdome hood to use. i'm not concerned about vertical space, i'm much more concerned about fiddly bits like what throttle body to use and how to set up the intake

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
7/9/15 8:20 p.m.

E39 540i here you go with a jag blower.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2155389-E39-540I-Jaguar-supercharger-install

Again there is are two or three kits out there for this car at about 4.5K new. With some pavement pounding and some luck I bet you could find a used kit for sub 3K. Personally if you are going to do this go turbo it will be way way easier and cheaper to build and plumb. Then you can use your saved kugiran's for good tuning.

Of course if it was me I would just sell the car and buy a M5 and be done with it. Brakes, transmission everything up to snuff for the extra power and maintained well will hold its value 100% better then a hacked together turbo kit or a car with a Dinan blower on it.

joekitch
joekitch New Reader
7/9/15 8:34 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: E39 540i here you go with a jag blower. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2155389-E39-540I-Jaguar-supercharger-install Again there is are two or three kits out there for this car at about 4.5K new. With some pavement pounding and some luck I bet you could find a used kit for sub 3K. Personally if you are going to do this go turbo it will be way way easier and cheaper to build and plumb. Then you can use your saved kugiran's for good tuning. Of course if it was me I would just sell the car and buy a M5 and be done with it. Brakes, transmission everything up to snuff for the extra power and maintained well will hold its value 100% better then a hacked together turbo kit or a car with a Dinan blower on it.

already well aware of toolman's crazy build, and he's even selling the machined adapters and brackets for $1100 to order. Apparently he put the whole thing together using only 3 grand in parts total, and didnt even need to bother at all with tuning, it was basically a miracle

however what's weird is i've found very little documentation on turbocharging the m62. i mean i'd love to do it because i could get a smaller turbo and get lots of midrange power, but there's just not much out there to go on. It seems like several projects have started but they never go anywhere.

and they never made an m5 wagon, did they?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:01 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

Early rivs are m62. There are also two variants of them. The difference is the pully size with the early ones having the smaller. I did it. I have one on the shelf along with all the leftover pieces from the two units. I also have an m90 as well. I can take a photo of it with today's paper. I did a tone of homework on this and invested a fair pile of $$$ purchasing used ones.

People do your homework the c230 kompressors had two different units. The early clutched ones are m62 the later ones are different animals. I think they are M62s (but could be M45's) as well and have a smaller pully but there back housings are much more specific to the MB motor. I think that you are corect in that these had a air to water cooler that they bolted to that cooled the charge as it come out of the unit. I was not interested in them due to there back housing being less conducive to retrofit on other cars.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:06 p.m.

Here is my post where I was asking the question about the interchange and I did not get an answer https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/m62-snout-interchange-question/37145/page1/

So I went ahead and purchased both and tried it and it worked. Dont mind the weird small pulley on the M62 from the C230. It was custom made from two pulley from a 944 alternator and the inner spline shaft that is inside the clutch unit of the C230. It worked but looked hacked

Anyway here is the thread showing success. I covered all this before on here. A post of mine went missing from that thread where I broke down three stages of boost and the mods (both required and optional but recommended) at different levels of boost. That is the three stages that people are referring to in the thread.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/m62-interchanging-housings/51086/page1/

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:32 p.m.

AND just to have a bit of fun. I have a 3l short block with dished pistons and a high flow head form my 89 with the 89 cam that is going to replace my current motor in my 924s. This will get the M62 shown in the other thread. I have already put together a mounting bracket in 3d AutoCAD that mounts above the AC delete. This will probably get built over this coming winter in my shop and the 924s pulled out of hibernation next spring and I will make the swap then.

The biggest problem I have had to figure out is my car is an 87 924s so it has the pre 85.5 nose that does not have provisions for the 951 inter-cooler. So I have spent a fair some of cash and time purchasing IC's and trying them in various locations in the front as well as possibly going top mount. I even contemplated putting using the low pressure area at the base of the windshield as a possible place for the IC. Still don't have this completely solved to my liking but I still have time to mess with it.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:41 p.m.

This is a great photo of three different SC's

I believe the one of the left is an M90 (like the one I have from a Super Coupe). The middle one is the M62 from a C230 (The unit I have) the one on the right is a M45 also form a C230 Kompressor. I looked at these but these were to small for my application.

The real telling part is the length of the impeller housings. There is also a diameter difference but it is not a great as you would think.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/9/15 9:43 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: This is a great photo of three different SC's I believe the one of the left is an M90. The middle one is the M62 from a C230 (the unit I have) the one on the right is a M45 also form a C230 Kompressor

interesting...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:45 p.m.

He He He you Quoted me while i was doing a Nina Edit LOL

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/15 9:52 p.m.

Oh I might as well post this here as well. it is a calculator that I made for supper-chargers. It is crude but will get you in the ball park of sizing a roots type supper-charger to any given motor. the air speed stuff versus pipe size was me looking at what the velocities were going to be in the pipes. This is important as at some point air gets sticky and weirdness occurs in the form of turbulence and really hurts performance as it actually creates back pressure in the pipes. It can make your brain hurt but google "Reynolds Number and Laminar & Turbulent Flow"

http://www.ehadesign.com/~dsmith/ENGINE_AIRFLOW.htm

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/10/15 1:52 a.m.

Hmm I definitely did not know they offered the m62 on the 3800s, good to know! Ill have to keep my eyes open for one in the junkyard. Was it just the early rivieras or was it all the early 3800 sc cars?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/10/15 5:47 a.m.

Most of the 3.8's are M62. I believe M90 was 96+

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wNDsIVJYTfNiy9drtsF3LIixrHkLAInx9XfOz8bmx9X5yKxBdWjixcpFDsSFmhLr