1 2 3
famous
famous New Reader
7/20/09 7:34 p.m.

I have been looking for performance oriented struts for a first gen probe for some time - without much luck. Was strongly considering Koni strut inserts, as that seemed the only viable option. My latest web search came up with a coilover strut from K Sport. Anybody here have experience with their stuff?

Thanks

Mark

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
7/20/09 7:47 p.m.

Run away screaming

/over in 1

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
7/20/09 8:37 p.m.

To answer your question, I've never used K Sport coilovers. They offer a contingency prize for NASA Nationals, which is encouraging.

If you're ready to drop that sort of coin on a performance upgrade, I've got to know...

why build a first gen probe? You could probably find a car with more potential for the cost of those coilovers.

famous
famous New Reader
7/20/09 11:07 p.m.

Classic response - because it's there.

Actaully, I agree with your statement. There are certainly more performance oriented cars out there that would make sense to build, like a similar vintage Mustang or Camaro. I have thought about that a great deal.

Besides the quirky electronics, water leaks in the ventilation system and back hatch, and a somewhat fragile transmission, the biggest problem with these cars may very well be that there aren't many people in the states that still likes them.

Real response. I bought a first gen probe in 1989 after graduating from college. It was my first new car, and I loved it. While it wasn't the quickest car on the road, it handled great, got 40 MPG on the highway if I kept the speed below 70 MPH, and had enough room to move all my stuff from college to my first apartment in one trip. I also know of one I may be able to get for a price that would meet the requirements to enter it in the BABE rally next year - that never hurts. So here's the thought. Run it in the BABE rally, take it to the 2010 challenge in the fall, then maybe do a Hot Rod Power Tour, or something even more insane (Lemons?). After accounting for the rule differences (wheels, tires, cage...) and de-contenting to fit in the budget constraints, it might work . Don't know where this idea ends just yet.

Surprisingly, the K Sport coilovers aren't that expensive. I saw them listed at ~$1000 for all four corners. That compares to about ~$700 for Koni inserts. Seemed like too good of a deal, so I asked the question.

Mark

vinnie_mack
vinnie_mack None
7/21/09 1:16 a.m.

there is a bunch of guys running them on the Proteges over on Mazdas247.com, they seem to be quite popular.

Do a search over there but if I recall correctly they weren't that great.

See if BC Coilovers have an application for your car, they are cheaper and surprisingly better (from what I hear)

skierd
skierd Dork
7/21/09 1:22 a.m.

They aren't bad, better than blow stock shocks for example, but they certainly aren't great either. Most everyone I know who has them on Hyundai's, but the general experience the dampers blow pretty quickly. All in all I think you'd be better served with Koni Inserts with ground control coilovers (or a similar sleeve kit), but it would be worth it (if your class allows) to get the K-sport adjustable upper mounts. They are actually decent units and used to be available separately.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 6:02 a.m.

It really depends on the application. Hawnduh guys tend to not like them. But they also tend to lower their cars to the point that they would blow ANYTHING out.

I have Megan Racing coilovers on my car now. Same stuff, same company for the most part, people even say they're made in the same factory. I have absolutely ZERO complaints with them. The pillow ball mounts are a beautiful piece of engineering, the camber plates are great, install was cake, adjusting is pretty easy, it's all very high quality stuff.

Now... if this is going to be a dedicated hardcore race car only type build, then i would probably NOT buy the "Kontrol Pro" setup. Go with one of their track rated setups. It's marginally more, but the shocks ARE valved stiffer to help deal with the higher rate springs.

What a LOT of people don't know about KSport is that they offer a LOT of bang for the buck. They DO offer shock revalving later on, they do have a good warranty and great customer service, and you can order any of their setups with custom spring rates for no additional charge. Re-valve does cost extra though.

They're legit, and they're nothing like the stereotypical cheap Korean junk. The stuff they make today is the real deal.

Go for it!

And by the way.... a 1st gen Probe DOES have a lot of potential. Fairly light, easy to make a buttload of power, and they don't handle too badly either. Ask me how i know.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/21/09 6:09 a.m.
skierd wrote: They aren't bad, better than blow stock shocks for example, but they certainly aren't great either. Most everyone I know who has them on Hyundai's, but the general experience the dampers blow pretty quickly. All in all I think you'd be better served with Koni Inserts with ground control coilovers (or a similar sleeve kit), but it would be worth it (if your class allows) to get the K-sport adjustable upper mounts. They are actually decent units and used to be available separately.

+1 Given no other option, they are your best option. Since Koni's and GC's are available for your car, I'd go that route.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/21/09 7:15 a.m.

I've helped remove a couple sets of these off Elantras. They are NOT something to use for DD. EVER. NEVER let them see salt. and NEVER carry more than yourself in the car and you should be fine.

Personally, I wouldn't touch K-sports. Their customer service is terrible and their product is mediocre for the price. Go Koni.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 8:21 a.m.

This is getting interesting to me.... i've had KSports on two of my own cars, and Megan Racings on one. Never had an issue on any, other than one shock blowing out, which was replaced for free. (went out within 12 months.) Their customer service treated me very well, they've put up with me spamming their email when i was researching my most recent setup, must have answered at least 10 emails from me in a very timely fashion. They didn't give me any high pressure sales pitch, even when i told them i was considering Konis and Ground Controls w/ Cusco camber plates as an alternative (for twice the price, without pillowball mounts, i might add.). I'm MORE than happy with my decision. Especially after driving a Celica since then with Konis and Ground Controls.

I like my setup better. By far.

This might vary depending on car, but here's the breakdown for what i was wanting if i went the Koni route:

Koni Yellows: ~$750
Ground Controls: $400
Cusco or other aftermarket camber plates: $200-400
Stock strut mounts: $220 (don't even get the pillowballs)

So that's almost $1600 give or take a hundred for shipping, at the least.

My setup:

Megan Racing Coilovers w/ spring rates to my specs: $850. Shipped. Keep in mind this is NOT a normal price, usually about $1000.

This included: Shocks/springs/sleeves obviously. Pillowball mounts on all 4 corners, front camber plates, and ridiculously easy adjustibility.

I have yet to see a downside, other than that i can't say "I have Konis!!!"

For my spring rates, i'd have to get the Konis revalved anyways, as every other Celica owner running these rates complains of underdampening with their Konis. It was admitted to me that my setup handles my springs better than the Konis. Will they last? I have no idea at the moment, but if they don't, i just send them back to get revalved, probably even stronger to better deal with the springs.

As was mentioned, KSport has a contingency program, they DO stand behind their consumers, and if you look around, a LOT of people are using their products to pretty decent success these days. Their brake kits are getting great reviews, they have test cars that run Time Attack, etc.... I can't speak of how they used to be, but as of today? I'd recommend them if you're on a budget. I don't see them being any less capable than Konis/GCs.

Mine have held up to 10k miles of crappy Indianapolis expansion joints, huge potholes, backroad burns, and a Dragon run, and they still perform like new. I will post up if anything goes wrong.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/21/09 8:31 a.m.

They did not hold up on apair of Elantras in the Ft Wayne area. And after 12 months the owners were told "sorry about your luck. That'll be $150 per to rebuild plus freight." That is not good service when one set had 11k miles, the other had 13k miles. We ended up making one set out of the good ones left and they too blew out.... the adjuster rings blew out, the pillow mounts (even with repeated disassembly/lube/reassemble) froze up..... I know that if they were the ONLY option for me, I'd find another way.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 8:40 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: They did not hold up on apair of Elantras in the Ft Wayne area. And after 12 months the owners were told "sorry about your luck. That'll be $150 per to rebuild plus freight." That is not good service when one set had 11k miles, the other had 13k miles. We ended up making one set out of the good ones left and they too blew out.... the adjuster rings blew out, the pillow mounts (even with repeated disassembly/lube/reassemble) froze up..... I know that if they were the ONLY option for me, I'd find another way.

How long ago was this? I've noticed in the last two years that even the Honda guys aren't complaining about them anymore. I agree that the quality wasn't too good when i first heard about them years ago and the AE86 and 240sx guys were trying them, but from RECENT anecdotes, they seem to be making huge strides in quality and performance.

Also worth asking.... which model was used on the Hyundais with what spring rates?

No offense meant, but your statement is like me saying that i would rather walk than drive a hyundai, because i've seen two blow up, without giving any further info as to why or when, under what conditions, etc....

I'm not going to push these things on anyone, because no matter what i say, it's going to be KONI KONI KONI KONI KONI KONI!!!!!! But i will defend them based on my personal experience with them, and the reviews that people with my platform have given on them.

famous
famous New Reader
7/21/09 5:26 p.m.

Everyone - thanks for the input. Looks like I need to do more research - I did not see the Koni yellows available for the Probe on the Koni site or in their catalog. If I were to go with Koni, I would definitely want something better than the "red" inserts. Not that they are bad units, but they seem to be the basic strut vs. a more performance oriented strut - and I will still have my current strut mounts.

93celicaGT2 : you correctly identified the strut I was looking at as the Kontrol Pro. It does look like a nice bit of engineering, but was concerned that looks might have won out over performance. I must say I am interested in your strut setup, as well as how you have come to respect the performance potential of the lowly Ford Probe.

For reference, the Probe model I am looking at is a 1990 LX, 5-speed, Vulcan V6 car that has been sitting for about two years. Ran when parked, typical northern Ohio rust, and a few battle scars. Overall, it is still fairly solid, and might be fun just to play with.

Mark

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 7:34 p.m.

The Kontrol Pro is a decent dual duty setup. If it's going to be a dedicated race car, though, i would step up to the next model. I forget the actual designation, but the shocks are better.

I've come to respect the Probe, because i have a 1g MX6 GT. I thought you were working with the F2T powered probe.

What you can actually do, is shop around for 2nd gen Probe/MX6 suspension. It'll give you some more options, and they do bolt up, with very minor grinding on the rear arms. That would enable you to use the Koni Yellows if you so choose.

I think you should actually call KSport and see what they tell you.

Caveat: I'm not actually running KSports right now, but the Megan Racings. I don't honestly think there's any difference other than color, and that KSport is actually easier to get a wider range of spring rates in.

irish44j
irish44j New Reader
7/21/09 7:40 p.m.

In the Nissan world, Ksports have had a reputation for terrible quality, marginal performance, poor customer support, and questionable fit and finish. not to mention ugly color.

things may have improved over the years, as recently I've heard less complaints on various forums. or people have just stopped buying them....no idea which is the case.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 8:30 p.m.
irish44j wrote: In the Nissan world, Ksports have had a reputation for terrible quality, marginal performance, poor customer support, and questionable fit and finish. not to mention ugly color. things may have improved over the years, as recently I've heard less complaints on various forums. or people have just stopped buying them....no idea which is the case.

Yeah, the early Nissan and AE86 days is where they had the problems. People are still buying their stuff, they've been expanding their product line like crazy, if you check out their website. Forums all over the place getting in on group buys. When i had my AE86, it had already improved to the point that there were really only one or two naysayers for me getting their setup. I ended up getting it, and loved it.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
7/21/09 9:05 p.m.

I'd like to emphasize my initial "run screaming" comment with some actual data:

ksport shock dyno Pictures, Images and Photos

Not only do the adjusters barely do anything, but the shock to shock variation is ludicrous. I'd much rather have konis with cheap ebay sleeves and circle track springs, much more grassroots anyhow.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/21/09 9:13 p.m.

OP, i think you're about 2 hours from me. If you're in the Indianapolis area anytime let me know, and i'll give you a test run around in my car.

I haven't experienced any of what everyone else here is saying. My adjusters make a HUGE difference, to say the least.

I

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
7/21/09 9:23 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: My adjusters make a HUGE difference, to say the least.

Well sure, on the butt dyno they probably feel like they do a whole lot. The range of rebound adjustment on any of the generic taiwan coilovers that i've seen usually falls into the > 4"/sec range. That range is stiffness felt over bumps and whatnot. It sure feels like the shock is getting a whole lot stiffer, since they'll punch harder than necessary over bumps. Actual handling events happen at lower shock speeds than these shocks can adjust for.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/22/09 6:47 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: My adjusters make a HUGE difference, to say the least.
Well sure, on the butt dyno they probably feel like they do a whole lot. The range of rebound adjustment on any of the generic taiwan coilovers that i've seen usually falls into the > 4"/sec range. That range is stiffness felt over bumps and whatnot. It sure feels like the shock is getting a whole lot stiffer, since they'll punch harder than necessary over bumps. Actual handling events happen at lower shock speeds than these shocks can adjust for.

Well... put it this way.... in an autocross scenario, if i run full soft, i rub tires on every turn, every corner of the car, and i get a double bounce on the highway. Heck, if i make a U-Turn at 15-20 mph, i rub like crazy and destroy my tires.

If i run in the upper half, no rubbing, no double bounce, and yes, a much stiffer ride.

Now that being said.... i'm not running KSports, but most people say that the Megan Racings are the same thing. In the event that they aren't, then i have no real input, as my Corolla wasn't near as developed as my Celica is currently, and as many people have said, ANYTHING is better than stock 25 year old blown suspension.

It all comes down to how the car feels, how it grips, how it responds, and to be honest, i have absolutely zero complaints with it.

Like i said, i won't push the product, i don't work for them, and it has no bearing on me if people buy it or not. I'm just saying that for the money, you'll be hard pressed to get anything hugely better. I couldn't TOUCH a decent Koni-based setup for what i paid, and like i said, the Koni setup that i drove didn't feel any better to me.

Of course, i may just not know what to feel for, which is always a possibility, but i do know that the Koni-equipped car was underdamped for the spring rates being run. I run mostly the same, actually higher in the back, and i have no such feeling.

For my $850 spent on a car that will never be truly competitive in ANY scenario, i'm given no reason to complain.

On a slightly unrelated note, i have KSport's brake kits on order front and rear after reading many rave reviews as well.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
7/22/09 7:06 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Now that being said.... i'm not running KSports, but most people say that the Megan Racings are the same thing. In the event that they aren't, then i have no real input, as my Corolla wasn't near as developed as my Celica is currently, and as many people have said, ANYTHING is better than stock 25 year old blown suspension.

Sorry man... they're not the same. I've talked with several people about megan kits and they are usually pleased. Not the same with Ksports.

It's like me talking about my extensive knowledge on Mitusibishi because, well my Elantra is kinda like it sorta. Null and void.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/22/09 8:20 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: Now that being said.... i'm not running KSports, but most people say that the Megan Racings are the same thing. In the event that they aren't, then i have no real input, as my Corolla wasn't near as developed as my Celica is currently, and as many people have said, ANYTHING is better than stock 25 year old blown suspension.
Sorry man... they're not the same. I've talked with several people about megan kits and they are usually pleased. Not the same with Ksports. It's like me talking about my extensive knowledge on Mitusibishi because, well my Elantra is kinda like it sorta. Null and void.

Well hell.....

Please disregard pretty much everything i've said then. I apologize to everyone, as i haven't had real recent hands on experience with KSport suspension other than dealing with their customer service (which WAS very good, i still maintain.) When i had my AE86, i had no failures in the while that i drove it with the KSports, but i also didn't do a WHOLE lot with it, so we'll throw that out. I was operating under misinformation that KSport = Megan = D2, just pick what color you like.

I will still post up thoughts on the brake setup i got from them, as well, but for the time being:

I LOVE my MEGAN RACING coilovers.

So... OP: Get Megans. But i don't think they have your application. I will ask around the MX6 forums and see what they say.

famous
famous New Reader
7/24/09 8:13 a.m.

All,

thanks for the info. Bolting in the 2nd gen suspension is an interesting approach, as it would open up the options quite a bit. Looks like a little more searching on the MX6/Probe talk forums may be useful. Just have to find the boards I used to visit years ago.

93CelicaGT - wish this car were the GT variant - I wouldn't be "thinking about buying it" at this point. It would be in my garage already. In addition to researching suspension, I have been trying to figure out what can be done to the Ford Vulcan V6. The Ranger truck guys have some interesting things going, and later model year engines used roller vs. flat tappet lifters from what I have been able to read, so there are upgrades out there. But, improving the engine will likely need to be a more homegrown, traditional hot rod approach - could be fun. Guess I am going to need to work on the welding skills so I can build my own headers and intake.

It's unlikely this thing would ever be a screamer, but it could be fun to drive.

Mark

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/24/09 8:26 a.m.

^As for forums, probetalk i think is where you'd want to go for the motor stuff.

MX6.com has a few VERY knowledgeable members in the area of suspension, active autocrossers, and they've been through the wringer. The great part is that they're down to earth and will answer any questions, and they've documented their whole process with buttloads of pictures. They did the hardest part for you.

Keep in mind that bolting the 2nd gen suspension in will lower the car almost 2 inches alone.

In the light of this thread, in terms of what's readily available, i'd probably go with Konis or Tokico Illuminas and Ground Controls, depending on budget.

Quick strange tip: The 1g MX6 GT came with a rear strut tower bar from factory (bling bling!!!) and SHOULD bolt up to your car. $5-$10 from your local junkyard. It's very well designed and does make a difference.

KSport_Matt
KSport_Matt
11/9/09 2:26 p.m.

Hey folks, my name's Matt and I'm the Marketing Manager here at Ksport USA. I happened upon this thread via Google, and would like to clear some things up.

@Bobzilla - I'm sure the shocks you saw were our 1st Generation Shocks. They were chrome plated. Our newer shocks are all electroplated to prevent rust, etc. The mounts, spring perches, and locking rings are made from 6061 Billet Aluminum which also prevents corrosion.

@93celicaGT2 - Not sure what you mean about Honda guys not liking our coilovers. Here in AZ, the local Honda guys love 'em. You are spot on with the spring rates.

Also, about our warranty. We offer a 12 month warranty on all of our coilovers, which I believe is fairly standard.

Like I said earlier, I'm the Marketing Manager. I'm not an engineer, nor am I a technician. I am however a car enthusiast. If you guys have any questions or concerns that I feel are above my head, I'll either forward the questions to the appropriate parties, or put you in touch with them directly.

Let me know if there's any questions, or if you guys have any comments/concerns, etc. You can reach our offices at (480) 829 8100, via email at info@ksportusa.com (my email is webmaster@ksportusa) or even pm me here.

Thanks

Matt Chandler

Marketing Manager Ksport USA

edit- I almost forgot- A local Honda guy, and President of NASA Arizona (Autocross, not the space shuttles!) recently switched from his Koni/GC setup. He's been breaking his track records left and right since then. He's running "Off the Shelf" Kontrol Pros, with custom spring rates. Look him up, his name's Tage Evanson.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iKhmPW7BXd65rFm4x7B0RG1jGXyUU1qONVREaorUGogGpjh2H8n0VOgmh14yJjb1