wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/18/08 7:48 p.m.

We had an epic downpour in Queens last week. Hail, floods, probably locusts at one point as well. In my new job I have to park on the streets, and the sewer system in this little corner of Astoria gets an epic FAIL for it's performance. Unless said performance is being judged on it's ability to back up almost immediately and flood the inside of the street Miata with five inches of water. It is not comforting to look outside and see your car starting to do it's Titanic impersonation while parked and minding it's own business.

I didn't even try to start the car because the computer got wet and instead disconnected the battery and took two trains, a long walk and a $30 taxi ride home to get the trailer and come back for the car. Five hours later when I got back and winched the car up on the trailer the interior was still draining. (Talk about a way to make an impression at your fairly new employer - show up with the trailer and tow rig in front of the office and load your street car up in about eight minutes flat.) The carpeting is summarily trashed, and the computer sat in the sun for a day drying out along with both seats. An ounce of prevention worked and I didn't hurt it.

It looks like I am taking this "opportunity" to replace the carpeting with a kit from Moss. Using nature's own powerwash has done no good for what was already tatty carpeting. Since I have the interior out of the car, now is the time to address the heat in the floor issue as well.I've been considering either Kool Mat or Dynamat, but the stuff ain't cheap, and it looks like a Miata interior is good for about 25 square feet of the stuff.

Suggestions, sources, experiences?

EDIT It looks like Amazon has got Dynamat extreme at a substantially lower price than most other places. No word on whether has been Bob Costa approved...

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
8/19/08 7:01 a.m.

You could try Peel & Seal. Its gutter repair flashing. You can get it at any Lowes or Home Depot. Its adhesive backed, rubber, with an aluminum foil top. Its sold in 6" wide by several feet long strips.

Its often used as a GRM-worthy, cheapie alternative to Dynamat, but mostly for sound deadening purposes. NOt sure about its heat-shielding capabilities.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/19/08 10:21 a.m.

According to Miatanet, some have used a Home Depot solution called Reflectix. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100052556

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
8/19/08 4:25 p.m.

THat looks like it would probably work better as a heat insulator than the peel-n-seal.

geoffl
geoffl New Reader
8/19/08 8:11 p.m.

I used Reflectix when I redid the interior in my old 77 Vette. Worked pretty well but was a bit thick. Still made the interior quieter and cooler.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dInHKzIOaWBxAxkcIJyS2QKfKgr8X5pH1EzMj3danux5vfyWktOWpFezAiCrVp5O