1 2 3 4 5
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
3/15/17 8:12 p.m.

Welcome to the party...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-want-a-c4-corvette-and-i-dont-care-what-you-jerk/55190/page1/

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/15/17 8:25 p.m.

I want an LT1

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/15/17 8:37 p.m.

Trackmouse, dude look at what you have done. 2018 could be the year of the Vette. and all it took was a simple Question.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
3/15/17 9:14 p.m.
Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/16/17 1:17 a.m.

Well, I for one am trying hard to convince SWMBO that we need an American t-top corvette (I keep calling it a convertible, hoping she will be convinced it is...)

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/16/17 10:38 a.m.

First and foremost....I never was a corvette enthusiast. In fact just the opposite....I'm a porsche 911 guy. Last v8 American car I owned was a 1966 mustang in 1974.

That being said last year I started looking for something to build for the 2016 challenge. Found a storm damaged 89 c4 for $500. WTF....bought it on a whim and drug it home. After many setbacks git a late start but did make it to 2016 challenge. Completely unfinished and undeveloped but ended up finishing 20th out of 44. But for an engine knock, an uncooperative slush box and squirrely FI PROBLEMs would have finished significantly better. But hey...like Rocky went the distance. Ended up with less than $1,000 in the old girl. And we,ll be back this year hopefully better prepped and are shooting for under 2400 lbs with 325 plus hp. With no giggle gas or snails.

The old car has suprised me. Although it shows over 200k on the clock and approaching 30 years old the car is a hoot. Remember in its day it pulled 1.0 g albeit with agressive not recommended for DD SUSPENSION SETTINGS. It has grunt for days with a wide power band. Just lock it in second and lumber thru the AX. Suprisingly tossable...not nearly as big as you would think.

Anyway where are you gonna find v8 rumble and torque, aluminum heads, 4 wheel discs, R&P steering, LSD, IRS, forged aluminum suspension and cheap performance/rebuild parts for chump change?

In my book a real bargain for the cost of entry....granted really nice ones are pricey but since GM built nearly 400,000 units there's plenty of them out there for just about any budget.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/16/17 10:44 a.m.

Very interested in 2018 Vette class

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/16/17 10:53 a.m.
Robbie wrote: Very interested in 2018 Vette class

Why wait....right now there are at least 4 that are in the works for 2017

Well, I guess 2018 will be 65th anniversary of the Corvette

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/16/17 10:56 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote:
Why wait....right now there are at least 4 that are in the works for 2017 Well, I guess 2018 will be 65th anniversary of the Corvette

The reason is that I am not building a vette for 2017.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/16/17 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Ooops...Fiat this year, right?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/16/17 11:43 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to Robbie: Ooops...Fiat this year, right?

Yep, Fiat. I agree you can't argue with corvette for performance/$.

I would love to see the Vette showdown anytime though.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/16/17 11:58 a.m.

Our 96 was $2000....Hmmmm....

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/16/17 12:03 p.m.

You guys!!!! Keep this on the DL! Make this a thing and there won't be any cheap vettes out there!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/16/17 12:26 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Our 96 was $2000....Hmmmm....

The price of Poker just went up. LOL

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/16/17 12:57 p.m.

I never gave C4s much of a thought...until Roadkill's Vettekart.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/16/17 1:12 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: I never gave C4s much of a thought...until Roadkill's Vettekart.

Food for thought. With gutted doors, interior gutted, AC delete our little car tipped the scales at 2700 pounds and that included somewhat heavy targa top and full stock dash as well as 20 gallon steel fuel tank. Gutting the front and rear impact bumper structure will pull out another hundred and fifty or so pounds. And then we're going to start cutting off the body but not go complete naked Vette Kart.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/16/17 8:32 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote:
Appleseed wrote: I never gave C4s much of a thought...until Roadkill's Vettekart.
Food for thought. With gutted doors, interior gutted, AC delete our little car tipped the scales at 2700 pounds and that included somewhat heavy targa top and full stock dash as well as 20 gallon steel fuel tank. Gutting the front and rear impact bumper structure will pull out another hundred and fifty or so pounds. And then we're going to start cutting off the body but not go complete naked Vette Kart.

I need a hood. We are going over the original line and I'd hate to cut ours up if I can chase another one down.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
3/16/17 9:06 p.m.

In reply to wheels777:

'96 with 6sp is the LT4 engine, yes?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
3/16/17 9:09 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair: Roger that.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/17/17 4:28 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to wheels777: '96 with 6sp is the LT4 engine, yes?

Yes. Modified LT4. Edited after I looked. Sorry.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/17/17 7:24 a.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Aren't there some NHRA regs that affect IRS cars that get down into the 10s or 11s?

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
3/17/17 7:46 a.m.

What's the suspension market like for these? A brief Google search seems to indicate that a full rebuild with the weird transverse leaf springs is pretty pricey. Am I just searching wrong?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
3/17/17 7:59 a.m.

In reply to penultimeta:

It's surprisingly simple but you have limitations on how far you go. There are DIY solutions for both ends to get the car lower. For example rear can be lowered with 10 inch long grade 8 bolts. Let your limited on how much camber you can adjust in. Of course you can go to coilovers and there are some budget Solutions there rather than $1,500 kits. Lowering the front is a bit more complicated mechanically but consist of removing front transverse spring and cutting down rubber spacers on top of the spring. Junkyard solution is to get Springs from AZ 51 car. Surprisingly these stock sway bars are okay but may need better poly bushings. A complete set of all suspension bushings is only about under $200.

On our challenge entry we had a set of shocks that were about $50 on sale, a pair of grade 8 bolts that wereabout $20 total and $50 worth of poly bushings. not the hot trick setup but it handled a lot better than I was capable of driving it.

How fast do you want to spend?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/17/17 8:32 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to wheels777: Aren't there some NHRA regs that affect IRS cars that get down into the 10s or 11s?

I'm not expert but I have been reading nhra rules this week. There is definitely something in there for c3 vettes, but it ends at 1982.

Something specific about the c3 rear suspension.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
3/17/17 10:56 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to wheels777: Aren't there some NHRA regs that affect IRS cars that get down into the 10s or 11s?

There are regs. It will be a weekend and Friday night special. If it were to go to the Challenge, it will be a fun fast car...but not the quickest.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L6MjdkChxFKHLTFl4L6Giye0BytPdoGPpdztsI2Obw0DKxTqyGCzxkAfe0gksprB