gunner
gunner New Reader
8/9/10 9:20 p.m.

So I'm cruising on line sale ads trying to decide what car to get next. I'm finding several 90's S4's for under 10 grand with anywhere from 60k miles to nearly 200k miles. I'm intrigued. They are killer automobiles.

What I need to know.

Are they reliable? I know volkswagen has a less than stellar reputation for reliability, does that go for audi too?

When something does break, is it outrageously expensive to fix? or do parts swap from other audi's/ vw's?

how many miles can I expect for the car to last? I tend to keep my cars for longer than 5 years and I am meticulous about maintainance. (just not spelling) :)

Are they expensive to maintain like say porsche 911's are?

Is there anything I'm forgetting to ask (for audiphiles)?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/9/10 9:29 p.m.

What years? The Ur S4/S6s are bad-ass. The V6 twin turbos seem to have a limited shelf life.

Here is where I did my research when I was considering one.....and now you have me thinking about them again. Damn you!

gunner
gunner New Reader
8/9/10 10:04 p.m.

indeed. Thank you for the link. I've seen them from 1990 to 2000 in that price range, including one 2004 s4 cab I'm almost sure was a scam for that price, all on autotrader.com, so thats the years I'm looking at.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
8/9/10 10:19 p.m.

The idea of an B5 S4 Avant still haunts me... but then I'm reminded of my 100 mile commute and S4's get some of the worst mpg of any car it's size.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/10/10 5:09 a.m.

I can't decide if i want mine in Turbo inline 5 20v or 2.7TT V6 flavor.

RossD
RossD Dork
8/10/10 7:04 a.m.

I had a 2000 A6 with the 2.7L Biturbo and 6 speed manual; I got rid of it because I could feel the inpending doom of replacing all the crazy front end links and the stories of crapy parts and even good parts not installed to specs and things still failing. Window regulators were failing and are expensive. I had CELs that would come and go and couldnt get correctly diagnosed even by a good VAG mech at a little shop. Now I have a '06 F150 and only miss the turbos and the manual gears (and the acceleration but not two turbos with 160k miles apiece ).

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/10/10 7:59 a.m.

When I was window shopping in 2006, I found a 2002ish S4 in Nogaro Blue (fave color), stock and in nice enough condition, with about 60k on the clock, 6-speed manual, well in my price range. I even test drove it and got giddy on the locomotive-like torque the thing made.

Then, I opened the hood (fortunately before buying it) and started really looking. After which I gently closed it, backed away slowly, and politely thanked the seller for his time.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/10/10 8:35 a.m.

Don't let the front end stuff scare you, its a bunch of crap (coming from a guy who has done the job). Its not even that expensive, you can buy complete kits for ~$300 on ebay now.

However, the engine bay IS tight, and the turbos are not usually extremely long lived (due to maintainence). If you could find a very clean, well maintained with synthetic oil changes, I'd think about it. We're talking 350awhp with slightly larger turbos and a tune.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/10/10 8:46 a.m.

Those make my 944 turbo look like a breeze to work on.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
8/10/10 8:56 a.m.

I have a '92 UrS4 and it's a tank. Very reliable car once you catch up on the maintenance. Lots of fun to drive, gets reasonable gas mileage (mine has the RS2 stuff on it, ~375-400hp).

Plenty of space for 4 adults and all their luggage and alot of luxury items that many newer cars don't have, like a heated back seat, etc, etc.

Mine has 88k miles on it now, I like it, but am thinking of selling it to get a wagon or SUV capable of hauling a trailer/race car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/10/10 9:01 a.m.

Alexdgr8 has a UrS4 and he popped in a few weeks ago to say that he loves his, it's been reliable, and he just literally drove it across the country from Indiana to Seattle with no issues.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
8/10/10 9:10 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I can't decide if i want mine in Turbo inline 5 20v or 2.7TT V6 flavor.

No affiliation but I thought this video might help you make a decision Even though its a 5000 10vT.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9xQ_oXjgwc&feature=related

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
8/10/10 10:14 a.m.

Timing belts are fun to do. Rather pricey too. You have to remove most of the front end of the car to do it. The fuel filter looked like fun too...

After owning a nonS A4, I got to say that I really don't like the ergo on the car. The pedals are offset to the center of the car and they are not positioned for easy heel-toe. Also rather heavy and the drivetrain sucks up some of the fun - which can probably be helped with enough power...

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
8/10/10 10:20 a.m.

I like my 1996 Land Rover Discovery much more then my 2000 S4 in every way. Think about that for a minute.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
8/10/10 10:30 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: I like my 1996 Land Rover Discovery much more then my 2000 S4 in every way. Think about that for a minute.

lol wooooow....

gunner
gunner New Reader
8/11/10 11:08 p.m.

I see everything here from, "no problem as long as it's maintained" to "even with maintainance it's hell on wheels" (both sides of that coin). It looks like more than what I bargained for though. Thanks for all the input.

gunner
gunner New Reader
8/11/10 11:24 p.m.

on the other hand it also sounds like pre 2000 models are the ones to buy, and just maintain them and I'll be golden. the only thing that bothers me is I'm looking for a daily driver. A wicked, mean, killer daily driver. I guess I can't expect that and toyota reliability and ford fairmont prices.

greenwoodjw
greenwoodjw None
8/12/10 12:34 a.m.

In reply to gunner:

I have a 2001 S4 Avant 2.7 Twin Turbo since new

pros:

• drives like dream; pliant when you commute, screwed down when you push it
  • on boost it will go like a scalded dog

cons:

• huge PITA to work on-- parts specially designed to fuse and rust, fracture on removal.
  • less than durable suspension components,esp tie rods, bearings, control arms. if any suspension component was properly engineered, I'm sure it was an oversight. even the wheel bolts are malleable. fortunately aftermarket offers components that seem to solve many issues.
  • had to take the bumper off to replace alternator. that was a first.

on paper it seems like a good track candidate, but I've encountered so many durability issues I've been afraid to flog it. Despite that, thinking about replacing it with a new one because its such a blast to drive.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
8/12/10 8:53 p.m.
cxhb wrote: lol wooooow....

... and my S4 was a babied one owner car with low highway miles...

gunner
gunner New Reader
8/13/10 11:44 p.m.

to the last two posters, OH SNAP!

I think I'll look in another direction.

greenwoodjw
greenwoodjw New Reader
8/15/10 1:08 a.m.
gunner wrote: to the last two posters, OH SNAP! I think I'll look in another direction.

not so fast gunner, I'll sell you mine. well, after I replace my alternator AGAIN, which failed today after 8 months. I'll be spending my sunday removing my bumper...

motomoron
motomoron Reader
8/15/10 11:06 a.m.

Wife drives 2000 A4 Quattro 2.8 V6 5 speed. We got it fairly cheaply w/ low miles a few years ago - around here - DC - the status wears off quickly leaving nice, affordable cars.

I bought a set of Bilsteins for it a couple years ago and was stymied by the proliferation of seized pinch bolts in close proximity to the equally massive proliferation of easily melted rubber ball joint boots. It's going to need a clutch soon, it's at timing belt service interval, and all the cam seals are leaking.

We're buying a house w/ a big garage and shop, and once the house is livable I'll buy all the parts, get it in the air and do it all in one hideous push - but for the first time ever in a space where I'll be indoors and can conclude work by closing the door rather than gathering 1000 tools and putting 2 sets of wheels, 2 jacks, 3 motorcycles, a miata top...etc etc...back in the garage.

Audi builds an exceptionally nice street car. They're comfortable, solid, fabulous interiors, parts aren't too hatefully expensive - but they're complicated to someone who grew up on Civics - Rabbits - Sprites - e36s.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/15/10 4:24 p.m.

For what it's worth, i just got back from an autox, and there was a 2.7TT S4 running.

It was fast as berkeley.
It was sexy as berkeley.
I wanted to berkeley it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bk4mW453sWk2pEFqDd96fMEfQpBsItFTH22iV57pp4hZUaX9o1ZSujSMdWCadWjl