1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
7/1/11 9:25 a.m.

Fellow GRM's,

I've bought a 1996 318ti that was very slightly over heated. I trust the guy I bought it from since it's a certain well know bimmer shop in VA which appears often in the magazine ;-)

Here's the deal though. I've done engine/trans swaps and a myriad of other things to BMW's. However, I've never had the head off of one.

Can someone give me the walk through on this project? Thanks!

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/1/11 9:29 a.m.

just as simple as any other 16v 4 cyl would be my guess......I'll be doing this on an m42 here before long, have to put a cometic in to help drop the compression for boost

Also, as usual, have the head checked for warpage at a machine shop. And install a cometic when you go to put it back together.....it prolly will never fail again

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/1/11 9:32 a.m.

It's all pretty straightforward, really. No tricks. Just start taking things apart. In the meantime you can find some of the M42 parts that were metal to replace the ones on your M44 that are plastic (coolant nipples, etc). Don't worry that half the valvecover bolts are stripped, that's why they have so many. I like to use Permatex Ultra Grey to seal up the rotting coolant passage inside and around the profile gasket. I guess I can't be certain it helped since I've never not used it, but the two I've done have stayed together so far. Take pictures of how all the lines around the intake and throttlebody go. It's kind of a mess under there.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
7/1/11 9:37 a.m.

Thanks!

My biggest concern is the timing chain and getting the car timed again. I know BMW makes a cam block tool for it but I've heard some people say they aren't needed and I'd love to not spend the extra money if I don't need it.

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
7/1/11 9:49 a.m.

I've only done the job using the bmw cam lock tool, so I can't comment on that.

In my experience m44 head gasket = cracked head. I would plan for the worst and at least shop around for a used head before teardown. Definitely have it pressure tested and checked for warping.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/1/11 9:53 a.m.

In reply to Yamaha: I'd only go with a cometic if you are having the head AND the block decked for flatness.

1slowcrx, check on r3Vlimited and post a question. There are some guys that rent out the tool for the cams, makes life way easier. The process is the exact same on the non-Vanos I6s in the E36 cars.

Soxtober
Soxtober New Reader
7/1/11 9:57 a.m.

In reply to 1slowcrx:

Just did one on an M42. I followed the link here:

http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11162

He used a trick with metal zip ties through the cam gear holes to keep everything pretty close. Worked fine for me.

Make sure you have a magnet on one of those long sticks or magnetic screwdriver to get the headbolts, they are pretty deep. Worst part for me was removing and reattaching the exhaust manifold, just couldnt figure out an easy way to get at those bolts.

ransom
ransom HalfDork
7/1/11 10:03 a.m.

I haven't looked inside an M42/44 (though I'll be doing so shortly), but it seemed like on the M50 I was working on, a cam block tool could be made from aluminum or even a chunk of plastic pretty easily: Aren't there flats on the cams that just need to be held inline with the top surface of the head, such that if you bolt a flat block onto that surface it'll align the cams?

Or am I doing that thing where I have information in my memory but it's unrelated to reality?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/1/11 10:21 a.m.

^That would work. If you can get the flat stock properly and securely attached.

That's why the tool is great.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/1/11 10:28 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: In reply to Yamaha: I'd only go with a cometic if you are having the head AND the block decked for flatness.

hmm, even the thick cometic? And my m42 has been good w/ no issues.....just don't know if I want to throw that in the budget, as it will be a challenge car.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/1/11 11:11 a.m.

Yeah, but that's just my own personal opinion. Just read too many stories about poor sealing MLS gaskets.

Who knows if it's prep/installation/etc. I'm going with a Cometic on my M20 build, but the head/block have both been decked.

If you talk to Paul Burke, he will tell you to skip the MLS gaskets all together and O-ring the block and use a "Goetz" brand headgasket. I can't remember his exact specs for wire size/ring depth off the top of my head, but I can post them later when I get home.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
7/1/11 11:32 a.m.

Junk the lump and install 5.0 or LSx.

Beyond that, I am of no help.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
7/1/11 11:59 a.m.

Thanks guys... this is all great info and please do keep it coming.

Ranger50, I've done two 6cyl Ti swaps already. This one is a car to flip for Nationals funding for my ST car.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
7/1/11 1:38 p.m.

sounds like you work on BMW's.... buy the tool.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
7/1/11 1:44 p.m.

It's a money issue not a lack of desire to have it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OmE4gymAtu8Ouj8kA7avzWEOjSbXcff3ioAzWQ90FCmAp29DoBBlpGVo8hqmnxfR