Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
4/11/24 12:25 a.m.

So the next thing I need to do is roll the fenders on my Mustang.

I see the tools for between $50 and $100; so my question is are the more expensive ones any better than the cheap ones?

Also is the heat gun necessary? Can you just use a blow dryer??

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
4/11/24 6:30 a.m.

I have a cheap one, it worked.  Go painfully slow with the paint hot to the touch.  I didn't follow my advise very well on my 92 and got just a bit of cracking where you can't see it.

A hair dryer will work, slower but less chance of burning the paint.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/11/24 6:39 a.m.

I have a new in the box, never used Eastwood tool that I'd be willing to part with. 

I really need to start thinning out some of the shop equipment that doesn't get used around here. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/11/24 7:36 a.m.

When I had one, it was an Eastwood and I did it with a heat gun. I can't imagine using a hair dryer - because yeah it would work but it would take for-berkeleying-ever. I also had one in the before times when rollers weren't nearly as cheap and the thing made me money. Now berkeleyin temu and wish have ruined owning that tool a side business. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/11/24 8:16 a.m.

One thing I've discovered with the Eastwood tool is it's more suited to classic cars with bigger wheel wells. Using it on small stuff like my Miata, I find that I'm only using the very bottom edge of the roller and it's often at an awkward angle. There's just not enough adjustment to it. Your mileage may vary, depending on what you use it on. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/11/24 8:32 a.m.

Whatever happened to the larger than life friends sitting on the car and a baseball bat?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/11/24 8:57 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Whatever happened to the larger than life friends sitting on the car and a baseball bat?

That's how you get bacon fenders.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/11/24 10:39 a.m.

I've had better luck with baseball bats, 1/2" extensions, and sections of pipe, rather than my fender roller.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/11/24 10:42 a.m.
chandler
chandler MegaDork
4/11/24 12:21 p.m.

I have an ancient Harbor Freight, an Eastwood and a Powered by Max. They all work the same. The powered by Max one is for lowered cars but otherwise they are all equal.

CameronGibson
CameronGibson New Reader
8/21/24 2:34 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/21/24 11:08 a.m.
NickD said:

One thing I've discovered with the Eastwood tool is it's more suited to classic cars with bigger wheel wells. Using it on small stuff like my Miata, I find that I'm only using the very bottom edge of the roller and it's often at an awkward angle. There's just not enough adjustment to it. Your mileage may vary, depending on what you use it on. 

Interesting. I didn't have that experience using an Eastwood on my NA back in 2012. Heat gun and get after it. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/21/24 11:22 a.m.

I've been using the Eastwood tool on Miatas of all generations for nearly 20 years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
siv9MNxySjoJsbfCeQe1Iz9f51ZAPJ9djcqOm8HTecUjyEX8zJSkoiize5AOBLdP