1 2 3 4 5
bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 12:45 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I just hope someday people will quit whining because they think Fords look like Astons. I know it's the first time a car has ever looked like another, but give it a rest. The grills aren't even the same shape.
I just like originality. Similarity is one thing, darn near cut and paste is just lazy. It says "well, I can't really design this myself, so I'll just slap this one over here on it." If I decide to write scary stories and just produce thinly disguised Stephen King stories and call it mine I wouldn't feel proud of my product. And yes, I understand, Ford owned them. That makes no difference in my mind.

Cut and paste? You apparently see a lot more similarity than I do. Even if they were exactly the same, I don't see a problem with it if it looks good to most people and sells well. Especially when it was a design element that was established by a Ford owned company. I see the second gen RX-7 as a pretty much blatant copy of the 944, where here we're just talking about a grill. A grill that isn't shaped the same as the Aston.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 12:56 p.m.

I actually like the fusion. I just don't respect the re-use of an already dated styling language. That's all. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I don't like the incredible similarity. Now, if it were my job to design the front end of current Ford products they'd sell exactly zero. Nope, I'd not even buy my own design cuz it would suck.
But I forgot that the only opinions that are allowed to be bandied about on this forum are political or religious
I didn't look at any links to the new Mustang in this thread, but from the side view I saw, I think it looks sweet. I only hope they did something different/unique with the front end. I'm not a blind-eyed fanboi, so I'll bow out and say "you are all right, and I am incorrect. My attempt at hyperbole was misguided. It is NOT an Aston front end. It is unique, refreshing, and quite elegant."
Now I'm off to buy an Astek or a Pacer.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 1:08 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

What part of the similarities of the desing do you not respect?

The similarities- much like the Miata compared to the Elan?

Or the retro part- like the MINI compared to the Mini?

Just curious.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 1:10 p.m.

No, no, no. I was wrong. Totally wrong.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 1:16 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

I'll repeat my question-

What part of the similarities of the desing do you not respect?

The similarities- much like the Miata compared to the Elan?

Or the retro part- like the MINI compared to the Mini?

Just curious.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 1:26 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: No, no, no. I was wrong. Totally wrong.

Again, no where do I see cut and paste copying, unless you are talking about the color. The color, and the darkness of the pictures hides the fact that the front ends are NOT the same shape, as my pictures clearly show.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 1:28 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: ... so I'll bow out and say "you are all right, and I am incorrect. My attempt at hyperbole was misguided. It is NOT an Aston front end....

Why do you lie???

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/6/13 1:44 p.m.

Back to the stigma thing. There's only a stigma attached to owning a V6 if you give any kind of a flying berkeley to what other people think about you. I thought here we were all about what a vehicle does, not what people think about it, or has the fascination with Yugo's, Lada's etc deserted us all here? We have a V6 Mustang. No one has yet come up or shouted at me from another car 'Hey you Bob Costas, you should have got a mans car' Some mouth breathers may think that, but I who cares. The car has more power and torque than most hallowed V8's of years gone by.

logdog
logdog Dork
11/6/13 1:55 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I just hope someday people will quit whining because they think Fords look like Astons. I know it's the first time a car has ever looked like another, but give it a rest. The grills aren't even the same shape.
I just like originality. Similarity is one thing, darn near cut and paste is just lazy. It says "well, I can't really design this myself, so I'll just slap this one over here on it." If I decide to write scary stories and just produce thinly disguised Stephen King stories and call it mine I wouldn't feel proud of my product. And yes, I understand, Ford owned them. That makes no difference in my mind.

I dont see it. Your anti-ford bias is showing. That CJ7 in your avatar looks just like a CJ5. How is that original?

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
11/6/13 1:56 p.m.
Storz wrote: I like it

Ooh, me too. It's it's like 7/8ths scale or better relative to the outgoing model, we may have a winner.

I don't like how the side view of the headlights makes the car look like someone melded an Evo X nose onto an SN95, but oh well.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 2:02 p.m.

I like the much shortened overhangs.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 2:03 p.m.

I like the wheels. They don't look like they are made from 5 spokes as much as 5 pie-pieces, if that makes sense. VERY light looking.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 2:03 p.m.
Knurled wrote: I don't like how the side view of the headlights makes the car look like someone melded an Evo X nose onto an SN95, but oh well.

Watch what you say man. Watch what you say.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
11/6/13 2:08 p.m.
logdog wrote:
DrBoost wrote:
I dont see it. Your anti-ford bias is showing. That CJ7 in your avatar looks just like a CJ5. How is that original?

You could probably show me 4 different generation Jeeps, and I would be lucky if I guessed the correct decade.

logdog
logdog Dork
11/6/13 2:15 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I like the wheels. They don't look like they are made from 5 spokes as much as 5 pie-pieces, if that makes sense. VERY light looking.

Let me guess, you think the wheels are round like an Aston?

logdog
logdog Dork
11/6/13 2:24 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Now, if it were my job to design the front end of current Ford products they'd sell exactly zero. Nope, I'd not even buy my own design cuz it would suck.

Sounds like you can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 2:29 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I'll repeat my question- What part of the similarities of the desing do you not respect? The similarities- much like the Miata compared to the Elan? Or the retro part- like the MINI compared to the Mini? Just curious.

Boost- this is a pretty simple question.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 2:58 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Back to the stigma thing. There's only a stigma attached to owning a V6 if you give any kind of a flying berkeley to what other people think about you. I thought here we were all about what a vehicle does, not what people think about it, or has the fascination with Yugo's, Lada's etc deserted us all here? We have a V6 Mustang. No one has yet come up or shouted at me from another car 'Hey you Bob Costas, you should have got a mans car' Some mouth breathers may think that, but I who cares. The car has more power and torque than most hallowed V8's of years gone by.

I agree, but we have mouth breathers normally driving around brodozers here.......

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 3:00 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I'll repeat my question- What part of the similarities of the desing do you not respect? The similarities- much like the Miata compared to the Elan? Or the retro part- like the MINI compared to the Mini? Just curious.

I figured there was no reason to argue about something that's subjective, like styling. But I'll bite since you are the type that has to try so hard to prove a point.
The Miata is different because the miata wasn't styled as much as it was created to serve a purpose, form follows function, and they were very forthright in saying that the car was very much inspired by cars of that era, and I think that very car was named by Mazda.
The MINI compared to the mini? That's a no-brainer. The MINI was basically a continuation of the mini so yes, the styling was very similar. Just like the New Beetle and the original Beetle, and today's Camaro, Charger, Mustang, Jeep Wranglers.
So, what is it that I don't like about the Forston Martin grills? One could just read my posts, but since that's usually a pretty weak thing around here, I'll just say it again. It's IN MY OPINION much like a cut and paste. No, not a literal photoshop C&P (did that really have to be said?) but those grills aren't just a little similar. If that's all some see in the picture I posted is a similar paint hue, that's fine. This is all opinion. Alfa, your opinion is correct. Mine is wrong. Again, there are no similarities between the two. I lost the internet today. You win.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/6/13 3:03 p.m.

Someone mentioned a hatchback on this and I really doubt that happens. It'd be super useful, I'd be pretty interested in that, and I bet a lot of other people would be (especially in Europe) but I can't see them stretching the greenhouse far enough back to actually do so.

Wheels on the image shown aren't bad, but Ford has been doing pretty good work in that department lately, it isn't an area I'd complain about with the Mustang for a long time now.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 3:08 p.m.

Keeping in mind that these are still unofficial pictures, if you go to this link you can see the whole car, and it doesn't look to have a hatchback on it from what I can tell. Dr. Boost on the other hand I'm afraid will be disappointed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2015-ford-mustang-leaked-360-view-and-full-details-news

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/6/13 3:11 p.m.

I want Ford to make a ute with the Aston grill. It would blow DrBoost's mind.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 3:11 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I want Ford to make a ute with the Aston grill. It would blow DrBoost's mind.

Kewl. How about a minivan?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/6/13 3:12 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I'm talking about a hatchback variant and how it probably won't happen. The above is obviously not hatched in the back.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/6/13 3:15 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
I figured there was no reason to argue about something that's subjective, like styling. But I'll bite since you are the type that has to try so hard to prove a point. The Miata is different because the miata wasn't styled as much as it was created to serve a purpose, form follows function, and they were very forthright in saying that the car was very much inspired by cars of that era, and I think that very car was named by Mazda. The MINI compared to the mini? That's a no-brainer. The MINI was basically a continuation of the mini so yes, the styling was very similar. Just like the New Beetle and the original Beetle, and today's Camaro, Charger, Mustang, Jeep Wranglers. So, what is it that I don't like about the Forston Martin grills? One could just read my posts, but since that's usually a pretty weak thing around here, I'll just say it again. It's IN MY OPINION much like a cut and paste. No, not a literal photoshop C&P (did that really have to be said?) but those grills aren't just a little similar. If that's all some see in the picture I posted is a similar paint hue, that's fine. This is all opinion. Alfa, your opinion is correct. Mine is wrong. Again, there are no similarities between the two. I lost the internet today. You win.

Boost you have to be wrong because you don't like this

falcon ute photo: falcon ute.jpg

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OfdlUKj4FB7qnRSdRSPcDgSVhqt0GhSrTpP8id2Ji991y5OrTJcwXoF6bfxv7gjk