2 3 4 5 6
bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 3:16 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

I can't see them making two versions, but what do I know.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 3:16 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Unfortunately your opinion doesn't carry any weight.......especially with Aston Martin doing this.

They have lost all their credibility completely, sorry to disappoint you.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/6/13 3:19 p.m.

That's not good.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
11/6/13 3:26 p.m.

You do know the story about the Aston microcar, don't you? They were getting slapped with huge gas guzzler taxes, and they made a deal with the gubberment that if they threw in a free microcar with each supercar, they'd average the mpg out, which got them above the tax threshold.

I guarantee you that they wouldn't have rebadged an econobox if they hadn't been forced to.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/6/13 3:31 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Is it bad I kinda want one just to troll people?

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
11/6/13 3:37 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Back to the stigma thing. There's only a stigma attached to owning a V6 if you give any kind of a flying berkeley to what other people think about you. I thought here we were all about what a vehicle does, not what people think about it, or has the fascination with Yugo's, Lada's etc deserted us all here? We have a V6 Mustang. No one has yet come up or shouted at me from another car 'Hey you Bob Costas, you should have got a mans car' Some mouth breathers may think that, but I who cares. The car has more power and torque than most hallowed V8's of years gone by.

YESSSS! It's amazing how a group of guys that adulate a car that many men consider a gay guy's car immediately turn around and denigrate other cars for their stereotypes. A lot of people here mock the Corvette as a gold chains toupee wearing midlife crisis car, but then mince off in their dainty little roadster at the end of the day.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(I quite like Miatas, and gay guys.)

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
11/6/13 3:50 p.m.

In reply to kreb:

Yes, but it still exists.......its one of those "Once seen, it cannot be unseen" things.

logdog
logdog Dork
11/6/13 3:51 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to DrBoost: Unfortunately your opinion doesn't carry any weight.......especially with Aston Martin doing this. They have lost all their credibility completely, sorry to disappoint you.

Looks like a Fusion.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 4:20 p.m.

^^^or a C-maxx, sorta. No WAIT! I didn't say that. Alfa, what do you think? Then I can think the same thing.
93EX and Aussie: You guys are great. I'm amazed at how you can SOMEHOW seem to work a ute into any thread.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/6/13 4:43 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to DrBoost: Unfortunately your opinion doesn't carry any weight.......especially with Aston Martin doing this. They have lost all their credibility completely, sorry to disappoint you.

Does anyone have a kit to do that to a scion here in the states? It's probably the closest I'd ever get to an Aston.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/6/13 4:54 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: ^^^or a C-maxx, sorta. No WAIT! I didn't say that. Alfa, what do you think? Then I can think the same thing. 93EX and Aussie: You guys are great. I'm amazed at how you can SOMEHOW seem to work a ute into any thread.

Snicker

smart ute photo: Ronnies Ute RONNIE.jpg

logdog
logdog Dork
11/6/13 4:59 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Do they call mini utes "mutes"?

beans
beans HalfDork
11/6/13 5:20 p.m.

I love the new car. Everything has been improved. If I had the credit, I'd pick one up.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/6/13 5:22 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Personally, I don't think you're wrong. I can definitely see an A-M in the new Ford styling. I guess the difference is I don't think it's a bad thing. Automakers have been borrowing and tweaking styling elements from each other for decades.

Hell, it's not even the first time Ford has done it - even recently. Who can forget the Five Hundred... that damn near looked like they took a VW B5 Passat and slapped some blue ovals on it. But since the head of styling for both brands was the same guy (left VW for Ford), what would we expect?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/6/13 5:42 p.m.
beans wrote: I love the new car. Everything has been improved. If I had the credit, I'd pick one up.

As soon as I don't need back doors, sigh

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/6/13 5:43 p.m.

I'm with DrBoost on this one; the grill looks nearly the same to me. If it was a copy of ANY other grill from ANY car, I wouldn't give a crap. The problem is that the Aston Grill is one of the most globally recognized grills ever designed; when you see the grill of an Aston, you know it's an Aston... until now.
Seriously, google "Aston Martin grill" and tell me what pops up. A ton of articles and forum topics complaining about ford stealing the grill. No one is totally right, but seeing as it's an issue to some makes it an issue.

I win

-Hamid

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/6/13 6:37 p.m.

I do see a lot of Aston in the Ford. A lot of people I know who aren't even car people say things like the Aston Martin grill Fords etc. But anymore I feel like lots of people are stealing each others styling cues. At least the ones Ford chose to use are good looking unlike the god awful fish mouth that a bunch of other manufacturers have been copying from each other. Also Aston has stolen Fords styling before so I guess it is fair.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
11/6/13 6:45 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to DrBoost: I'll repeat my question- What part of the similarities of the desing do you not respect? The similarities- much like the Miata compared to the Elan? Or the retro part- like the MINI compared to the Mini? Just curious.
Boost- this is a pretty simple question.
I figured there was no reason to argue about something that's subjective, like styling. But I'll bite since you are the type that has to try so hard to prove a point. The Miata is different because the miata wasn't styled as much as it was created to serve a purpose, form follows function, and they were very forthright in saying that the car was very much inspired by cars of that era, and I think that very car was named by Mazda. The MINI compared to the mini? That's a no-brainer. The MINI was basically a continuation of the mini so yes, the styling was very similar. Just like the New Beetle and the original Beetle, and today's Camaro, Charger, Mustang, Jeep Wranglers. So, what is it that I don't like about the Forston Martin grills? One could just read my posts, but since that's usually a pretty weak thing around here, I'll just say it again. It's IN MY OPINION much like a cut and paste. No, not a literal photoshop C&P (did that really have to be said?) but those grills aren't just a little similar. If that's all some see in the picture I posted is a similar paint hue, that's fine. This is all opinion. Alfa, your opinion is correct. Mine is wrong. Again, there are no similarities between the two. I lost the internet today. You win.

The Miata gets a pass since it's form follow function, like the Lotus- ignoring the fact that both were designed. And that they are so close, most people think that the Miata is based off the Lotus, which it is not.

And the Mini gets a pass even though BMW bought the name, and not the history, and kept it going.

There are a number of cars just like that, I just used those examples since you have owned them. Maybe Pontiac using the same nose as BMW, even.

To ME, and this is MY opinion, that position is hypocritical. Letting other companies do something similar, well... ok. hate all you want then. But at least be consistent with all other cars.

None the less, I still fail to see why it's so bad that a car has good styling. Copying cars isn't limited to the style.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
11/6/13 7:05 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
Knurled wrote: I don't like how the side view of the headlights makes the car look like someone melded an Evo X nose onto an SN95, but oh well.
Watch what you say man. Watch what you say.

I just picked up the latest C&D and all I gotta say is...

Wow, it looks like someone melded an Evo X nose onto an SN95.

Knurled
Knurled UberDork
11/6/13 7:38 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: At least the ones Ford chose to use are good looking unlike the god awful fish mouth that a bunch of other manufacturers have been copying from each other.

O HAI THAR

'Sup?

(I don't like it either, but man it's old)

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
11/6/13 8:50 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: To ME, and this is MY opinion, that position is hypocritical. Letting other companies do something similar, well... ok. hate all you want then. But at least be consistent with all other cars.

I doubt you'll understand this because I'm not sure that I can really explain it very well, but it's the taking an iconic style (like the AM grill) and repurposing it rather blatantly that I dislike. Much like what Lexus did through the 90's and early 2000's with the Japanese Mercedes Benz's they were selling.
The miata was basically an homage to cars like the Lotus, and it was clearly stated from the outset. If a company came along and said they were building an homage to the Hudson Hornet I'd sure expect to see something similar to that iconic grill and that great roofline, or an homage to the Tucker Torpedo better have three headlights. When Hummer 'borrowed' the Jeep grill (in some opinions) it was frowned upon by lots of folks. Again, the mini was a continuation of the car. It better bear a striking resemblance to the original. I never personally thought the Pontiac grill looked like the BMW, but I also never thought the BMW grill looked like a kidney.

alfadriver wrote: None the less, I still fail to see why it's so bad that a car has good styling. Copying cars isn't limited to the style.

I'm pretty sure I never said it was bad to have good styling. It's just your attempt to make my opinion seem arbitrary and off-base. I already conceded the internet win to you today so I'm not sure why you're trying.
Either way, the Fusion is a good looking car, so is the Mustang. I'm glad they are selling them, they are a Michigan based company and I have plenty of family that rely on them doing well to put food on the table.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
11/6/13 9:28 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: But anymore I feel like lots of people are stealing each others styling cues.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/6/13 11:41 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I do see a lot of Aston in the Ford. A lot of people I know who aren't even car people say things like the Aston Martin grill Fords etc. But anymore I feel like lots of people are stealing each others styling cues. At least the ones Ford chose to use are good looking unlike the god awful fish mouth that a bunch of other manufacturers have been copying from each other. Also Aston has stolen Fords styling before so I guess it is fair.

You're absolutely right on all accounts.

What was up with Jaguars looking like the Ford Contour for a while there anyway? Was that a Ford thing or Jaguar?

-Hamid

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/7/13 1:39 a.m.

I like it, but I also like the Hyundai genesis, lol.

I normally hate mustangs because they look bro-gay but I like this design.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/7/13 5:40 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: But anymore I feel like lots of people are stealing each others styling cues.

Well played, sir.

I didn't read all the pages, I just looked at the 360 of the Mustang when C/D posted it. As a guy currently lusting for the 2005--> Mustang on the used market, I'm the target audience for the car. I'm as critical of Mustang styling as anyone, because it's an icon and it needs to bring a certain something to the table to continue the lineage. The Ford Probe would have been a colossal mistake in this regard, and the outcry thankfully killed that before it happened (and who today can look at a Probe and not go "Eeew"?). This latest version works--it's got the Mustang-ness it should have while moving forward with modern styling cues. I wouldn't want it to chuck it's past and move in a completely new direction. Additionally, the preceding Mustangs have been good sellers; I can't say that the BRZ twins have been flooding the highways (and it's a silly comparison, frankly). Ford needs to sell to the Mustang faithful as well as attempting to gain a few converts. It's still a niche car, though, and will only attract so many buyers.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zqm2rpJEkvqu1EygS7mFRfMWYIo7yIhQVMjitgPjDYbDegeBobfVIZt1rXZNnDbg