1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 12:03 p.m.

Just ran across this on another forum.

https://www.keislerautomation.com/

The entire kit itself is fairly expensive, but it's offset by the cheap cost of the car and the donor parts. 

_
_ Dork
11/22/19 12:09 p.m.

I dunno man. I know it's "bolt in", but that's a TON of components just to put a v6 in. I mean, jeeeez, you're doing things like changing steering rack position and sway bars and engine pulleys and etc just to put that in. 

for less money, I'd rather just buy a different car altogether. 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
11/22/19 12:40 p.m.

That looks pretty awesome. A bit pricey but that’s a lot of sexy looking cnc aluminum 

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
11/22/19 12:48 p.m.

That's the big problem with any motor swap on the rx8. In my eyes.

Moving the front suspension stuff that was packaged so close to the Wankel.

Because once you start to move steering racks, you can really screw with the driving dynamics that the rx8 is known for. Bump steer, Ackerman, etc can all get massively screwed up in a hurry.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
11/22/19 12:57 p.m.

I will give you one of my good ideas I won't have time to get to.

Make a body mod kit so a RX8 is a good looking swoopy 2 seater.

Then spending many thousands on engine swap makes sense.

Something akin to this in the rear of the car (rx8 front is good)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/22/19 1:04 p.m.

I love this swap, but when you look at it all complete, the prices are high enough that it would make me consider a LFX Camaro (possibly still under a warranty) or 370Z to get similar performance & tire size in a OEM package.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 1:08 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

I love this swap, but when you look at it all complete, the prices are high enough that it would make me consider a LFX Camaro (possibly still under a warranty) or 370Z to get similar performance & tire size in a OEM package.

You can find Camaro's and 370Z in good condition for $13-15k? 

I don't know, I haven't looked. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
11/22/19 1:12 p.m.

I've seen one of these and it was awesome.  What's not to like?  335ish hp in a light sedan that goes like stink and handles awesomely!!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
11/22/19 1:15 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ProDarwin said:

You can find Camaro's and 370Z in good condition for $13-15k? 

I don't know, I haven't looked. 

Yes, easily.

dps214
dps214 Reader
11/22/19 1:17 p.m.

I can't find a price for the kit, but unless it's substantially cheaper or easier to execute than a LS swap (which I doubt) it doesn't seem worth the effort and expense to not end up with the better engine and extra 100hp.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/22/19 1:22 p.m.

That's the tricky thing about high power V6 swaps. If you can retain the stock transmission, they kinda make sense. But if you have to do the trans and the rear end along with the engine, you're in for about the same amount of work as the V8. Yes, it's a little bit lighter - but the LS pays that back in spades.

Now, find a way to put a slightly less nutso V6 in and keep the stock trans, the math changes.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 1:27 p.m.
dps214 said:

I can't find a price for the kit, but unless it's substantially cheaper or easier to execute than a LS swap (which I doubt) it doesn't seem worth the effort and expense to not end up with the better engine and extra 100hp.

It says it's $8000 in the documentation for it. Which is high, but it's plug-n-play besides drilling holes for the the diff mount and having someone finish the exhaust.

_
_ Dork
11/22/19 3:38 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

For exhaust, may as well just continue those pipes out the side. Call it done and save a fortune. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 3:52 p.m.

In reply to _ :

I suspect that would be painfully loud, especially if you're on track. 

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
11/22/19 3:58 p.m.
z31maniac said:

The entire kit itself is fairly expensive, but it's offset by the cheap cost of the car and the donor parts. 

I know Andrew Keisler and have seen his work and swapped cars. Execution and workmanship is phenomenal. This is his passion and a small niche in automotive aftermarket landscape.  I'm glad there's room in the marketplace for something other than LS swaps.  If he was selling LS swap kits this well-made, he probably wouldn't have enough production capacity.   

A lot of those components could probably be hacked (or zip-tied) together a lot cheaper. That's just now how he rolls.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/22/19 5:15 p.m.
Tyler H said:
z31maniac said:

I know Andrew Keisler and have seen his work and swapped cars. Execution and workmanship is phenomenal. This is his passion and a small niche in automotive aftermarket landscape.  I'm glad there's room in the marketplace for something other than LS swaps.  If he was selling LS swap kits this well-made, he probably wouldn't have enough production capacity.   

A lot of those components could probably be hacked (or zip-tied) together a lot cheaper. That's just now how he rolls.

Yeah, everything looks OEM+ quality. This will be a really great option for some folks. 

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
11/22/19 6:22 p.m.

Z31m this is very interesting....cuz the RX8 was way underpowered...and the body style just 'works' and why not? So what are you out ($$$$) for a sled that will put it's nose up your Cayman???

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/22/19 6:22 p.m.

V8 roadsters offers LFX kits for the NC Miata and RX-8. They've apparently got the CANBUS worked out so that the gauges and controls work, too. 

What I'd really like to see in an RX-8 is a 6 cylinder that sounds like this.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
11/24/19 9:04 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

V8 roadsters offers LFX kits for the NC Miata and RX-8. They've apparently got the CANBUS worked out so that the gauges and controls work, too. 

Yes. Very much yes.

Dootz
Dootz Reader
11/25/19 4:05 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

GM's modern 4.3 (aka the Ecotec3 LV3) would be ideal - like an aluminum LS, but even more compact and not a complete whimp in the power department

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/25/19 6:49 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:
Brett_Murphy said:

Yes. Very much yes.

Is it it me or does that sound very German/I6 like?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/25/19 1:43 p.m.

The amount of parts and development in that kit for the price is actually good value in my opinion. It's the whole concept that I struggle with for some of the reasons Keith mentioned. And the price tag also begs the question in my strange little brain of whether someone could build a 3-rotor conversion for $8k or less. Cuz if there's one thing the Rx8 needs, it's 50% more rotary. cheeky

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/25/19 2:25 p.m.

In reply to nimblemotorsports :

I have to agree with the principle put forth: The RX8 never was that attractive of a car to start with, so the urge to keep one alive with an expensive engine swap ( or replacement) is not strong. Is it a capable chassis? No doubt, but ultimately not a design that has aged well.

Pete

brainofjjj
brainofjjj New Reader
5/7/20 3:42 p.m.

I'm bumping this since i have one of these cars from Andrew.  I'm still working on suspension and aero but building a NASA TT and weekend toy.  It's a bunch of fun so far and steers like an Lotus Elise.  I did his upgraded front brakes since i'll do long track sessions at places like COTA even though stock brakes are said to be pretty good by themselves.  Going to stuff a 275 R7 under it eventually but running a R888R right now.  If you're ever in DFW and the stars align i'll be happy to let you drive it.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/7/20 7:27 p.m.

In reply to brainofjjj :

I have a friend who just started building one too. I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out when he's done!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dRoWgTsyeHLS5uJ9NJ9NNXuvsONdU8OSvgMETDbP6M4N3JwenK7aoLnHQcndCcLx