2 3 4 5 6
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 9:13 a.m.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/6/24 9:33 a.m.

Here I've been texting Tom about the cicadas they're heading into, completely forgot that childhood lesson about always watching for tumbleweeds. Which means quicksand is next.

Margie

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 11:12 a.m.

Andy just finished the morning session, and mostly commented on the tumbleweeds. So, so, so many tumbleweeds. 

No live timing today, so we have no idea how we did. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/6/24 11:34 a.m.

When they made weed legal in Colorado some weeds decided it was time to make their play.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 12:32 p.m.

16th in the morning sessions--not too bad!

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
5/6/24 12:41 p.m.

Keep an eye on the weather this evening and especially overnight, there will be severe thunderstorms and possibly tornadoes all across KS and into MO.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 3:31 p.m.

Laps are done, car is packed, brake fluid leak is monitored (we'll swap the caliper tomorrow) and we're on the road to Hedge Hollow. Tonight's transit is over 600 miles. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 3:36 p.m.

Andy beat me by a second or two per lap today--my lack of familiarity with the track meant I just plain left time on the table, particularly over the blind sections. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to do more than one recon lap on the bike; 30-40mph winds meant I just couldn't do as many laps and I wanted to. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 4:11 p.m.

Results are live, and I finished 20th. Not bad, not great. 

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
5/6/24 4:20 p.m.

I would strongly recommend a pair of shooter's earplugs for long highway trips in a CRX.  They'll drop your sound levels to "Lexus LS400" and you'll find that there's not much vibration or harshness once the noise is gone. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 4:31 p.m.

In reply to chaparral :

Yeah, we've been wearing earplugs the whole time. There's still PLENTY of NVH--thank you built K24 with no balance shafts--but they protect our ears. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/6/24 5:07 p.m.

Attrition!

2 cars DNF day 1, skid pad 

5 cars DNF day 2 Hastings

5 cars DNF day 3 High Plains morning

13 cars DNF day 3 High Plains afternoon

8 more cars failing is a big jump.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
5/6/24 5:48 p.m.

Weather update:

KS issued a state of disaster emergency preemptively, expecting one of the worst days in years. NOAA issued "high risk" warning, first since I think 2017 for KS. Baseball sized hail, 80 mph wind, possible large long-track tornadoes.

Brief Tornado warning at 4pm 100 miles S of Hays, moving NE, storm crossing I-70 about 5-6pm around Wilson.

Storm line number 2 expected to hit Junction City about 6:45 pm, Kansas City around 9. If you catch it between those 2, you'll be in it the rest of the way. It may be 120 miles wide by then, moving E at 50mph.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 6:11 p.m.

Found some Ethanol!

We've got a 200-mile gap between stations coming up next, which is going to push our fuel range to the max. Wish us luck!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 6:14 p.m.

We're watching the weather, and it looks seriously nasty. We think we'll be behind it for the drive. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 6:51 p.m.

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
5/6/24 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Good to see that you're well behind it.  I was just watching the national news and they have reports of 2" to as big as 4" hail.  That would mess with your aero...   Let's hope for everyone's sake the weather calms down a bit out there, it's been a crazy season so far.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 8:01 p.m.

The storm's finally on the horizon. We're planning to drive until we get wet, then stop for a leisurely dinner while it gets ahead of us again. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 8:40 p.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 8:56 p.m.

Time for dinner! Looks like the Bridgestone crew had the same idea.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/6/24 9:13 p.m.

So, our game plan: we're going to have a leisurely dinner, then hit the road at a reasonable pace and follow the rain east to Kansas City. If all goes according to plan, we'll be right behind it and stay dry.

If it doesn't, then we'll figure out of the CRX is waterproof. And it might not be. Not like "we'll get wet."

More like "the engine will stop running."

Wish us luck....

BoulderG
BoulderG Reader
5/6/24 11:31 p.m.

What a fantastic day at One Lap of America! Also, by far, the windiest day I can recall at High Plains Raceway in eastern Colorado (and I've driven a formula car there in a snowstorm).

Great turnout of friendly competitors and cool cars, and got to meet both Tom Suddard and Sleepyhead the Buffalo in person, among others.

Sorry to see the info about attrition:
"5 cars DNF day 3 High Plains morning
13 cars DNF day 3 High Plains afternoon"
Anyone have more details?

I spent most of the morning doing photography with the renowned (and frequent GRM magazine contributor) Rupert Berrington, so got some great pics.

Those of you not familiar with the track will notice a seemingly infinite abundance of tumbleweeds. There were tons and tons of them, everywhere. Hope they didn't jam up anyone's intercoolers or radiators, or otherwise mess up downforce.

Here are a few pictures with a lot more coming soon...
Thanks again to the presenters and all the competitors!

Cockpit of the Field Auto Works car, which got lots of attention:

Early morning view of Tom and Andy unloading their car. Impressive packing!

Seriously, there were a lot of tumbleweeds.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Maestro Randy Pobst:

The relaxed luxury offered by a hatchback:

Lotta variety at the One Lap of America.

More pics coming tomorrow!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/7/24 1:41 a.m.

And Time! Made it to our hotel at Hedge Hollow, after a very wet transit. No hail, though, which means we had an easier time than many competitors. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/7/24 6:41 a.m.

Good morning from, uh, Kansas City I think? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
5/7/24 7:46 a.m.

Next stop: Hedge Hollow!

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXsxP7wsgSYYczLwUHCipq2shRijEmG6RVer4gyq58RxT6b2n3EgwlNvdYuoYkrn