1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/5/23 3:09 p.m.
Tyler H said:

File under: not interesting. I just noticed that the trash can lid engine cover appears to be hinged at the back.  So it has a hood under the hood.   Let's see some under-underhood shots.  :)

Bam!

David S. Wallens
12/5/23 3:10 p.m.

And some more under-underhood shots of the CX-90. :)

David S. Wallens
12/6/23 9:15 a.m.

Survived I-4. I waved to the other GRMers out there.

On smooth roads, it’s fine. I still think it’s a bit too jarring on harsh bumps. 

BLRB
BLRB New Reader
12/6/23 9:47 a.m.

This looks great on paper and in traffic.  I pointed it out to my wife to suggest a test drive and she has some un-explainable aversion to Mazda, not sure why.  She just said she doesn't like them.  I also suggested this to my parents who were replacing their RX350, but they went with a Genesis GV70.  I think Mazda will have a challenge changing public perception for non-Mazda people.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
12/6/23 10:00 a.m.

God do I hate that plastic bin cover hood thing covering the engine. What's the f...ing point?

Reminds me of the plastic engine cover in my RX-8. It's been stacked somewhere in the garage since I bought it.

Must be a Mazda thing.

While I understand Mazda's push towards the high-end market, I think their timing is off and it will hurt them in the long run. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
12/6/23 11:50 a.m.

The plastic under the hood is there for noise attenuation. DI engines make a lot of ticks and high pressure fuel pumps can make some whirring and whining noises, all the plastic is there as noise interference. Noise hates changing forms, so the more separate layers of material you can make it pass through, the more energy you absorb.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/6/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Backwards turbo orientation is interesting. What's the exhaust look like underneath? It would be super easy to do a bumper-exit...

David S. Wallens
12/6/23 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Sadly the CX-90 has returned to the mothership. 

scrapin240
scrapin240 New Reader
12/7/23 10:18 a.m.

I think part of the jarring is due to the 21" wheels.  The 19" wheels are still a bit firm, but still fine for daily commutes. 

The new I6 turbo is buttery smooth to the point you don't know if it's actually idling or the stop/start is on (which I usually disable). Even the lower tuned one has a lot of low end and midrange passing power.  Still miss the old CX-9, but the new CX-90 is growing on us, and the price point with incentives isn't a bad proposition at around $45k

David S. Wallens
12/7/23 10:39 a.m.

In reply to scrapin240 :

I’d believe you on the 21-inch wheels. Other than looks, why go that big on rim diameter? Personally, I’d like a little more sidewall, especially on something that should be comfortable. Eager to get some seat time on something not riding on dubs. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VDHgY52NtVa6hvBeimu9atx4ldR3Uu5oOYTlbxLeGxjn1gphQgk4Ooq0rAw68uGW