1 2 3
DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
4/13/24 9:49 p.m.

Lots of good idears here. And some sketchy ones. But I guess we need to explore the sketchy ones, too, just to rule them out. As tempting as a 12-gauge reality check under the seat might be, I have a forgetful wife and a curious child to consider.

In terms of preventing theft, anything is probably better than nothing, especially if the goal is to discourage the sort of E36 M3head-grade, crime-of-opportunity behavior that seems most common around here. 

Interrupting the positive side of the ignition circuit is good. Interrupting the ground side might be better, if possible, considering most people are likely to check for power but assume the ground is good. Or maybe add a switch to short the circuit to ground and pop the fuse if someone attempts to start it.

Older EFI Toyotas had a fuel pump relay that could apparently be interrupted, resulting in enough fuel to start up and then immediately shut down. The theory 20+ years ago was that starting the engine would count to either insurance or law enforcement as attempted theft, whereas breaking in and mauling the lock cylinder might only be considered vandalism. Not sure how universal that is or whether the relay circuit mod is applicable to anything else. As others have mentioned, a carbureted vehicle might start on the fuel in the float bowl even if the feed is interrupted, so the result would be roughly the same.

In the case of the OP's Jeep, we have a distributor to play with. Swapping a few spark plug wires around might be enough to dissuade anyone who doesn't already know where the #1 terminal is on the distributor cap and which way the rotor turns.

Quick-release steering wheels are cool. How about a quick-release shift lever, or maybe brake or clutch pedal?

Preventing theft is one thing. Following up once it's gone is another issue entirely. I know Apple users have the Airtag option. I'm on Android and don't know enough about other options available to us. It would be nice to have something pinging GPS and not just networking via Bluetooth with other Samsung Galaxy or Android devices so you could still find it even if someone left it in a field and walked away. Is a Tracfone or similar burner, coupled with Life360 or some other family tracker app, a realistic option? 

I had a dream last week in which I had three vehicles stolen in one night. The fact that they were all stolen from the same parking lot - a Kmart parking lot, no less, in a town I haven't lived in for twenty years - probably says more about my own unresolved issues than anything else. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/13/24 10:06 p.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Impressive if your dreams think you can drive three cars at once.  Good on your creativity of skill!!!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue SuperDork
4/13/24 10:24 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Well, not quite like that. Possibly worse, actually. Decades ago, I lived close to the Kmart in question, and in the dream, I had one car stolen, then went back in another car to finish the shopping, one after the other, until all three of them were gone. To make it worse, I caught the thieves in the store, but was unable to get an officer to respond.

This is apparently how my subconscious mind takes out the trash.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/14/24 9:40 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Ouch.

rslifkin
rslifkin PowerDork
4/15/24 9:19 a.m.

I really like the battery cutoff + bypass fuse idea that was mentioned.  Gets rid of the downsides of turning off the power in some cars, but still prevents it from being started.  Even better would be to add a loud alarm that doesn't get power through the switch and is triggered by the fuse blowing, so if they try to start the car without the battery switch on, it goes electrically dead AND you get a loud alarm. 

octavious
octavious Dork
4/15/24 4:10 p.m.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Looks like a battery cutoff maybe the easiest solution. The PO put the battery behind the passenger seat, I need to see about moving it back under the hood. 

My clever British car buddy Ray didn't even have a key for his "Bugeye" Sprite. He installed several unlabeled toggle switches on the dash, wired to control the fuel pump and ignition. Only he knew which ones had to be UP and which ones had to be DOWN for the car to run.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 SuperDork
4/15/24 5:55 p.m.

With my old TR6, I used to take the rotor.  The chances of someone having a Lucas rotor on them are pretty slim.  A working one, astronomically less.  Now with Megasquirt, I just unhook the coil pack via a connector that's pretty well hidden under the dash.  I also have an inertial fuel pump cutoff that I could trigger as extra protection.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/15/24 8:40 p.m.

Let the air out of 2 (or more tires.) Looks like a derelict old car. Even if a thief is savvy, what are the odds he's packing a jack, air tank, and/or a wheel with the correct pattern and tire size?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cI9PsvadFiMnKdEJEazjx6KxVMlZo4bO78kXvoLLirmJBhFkGBuN9tq3dbrgJPP