Waldo
Waldo New Reader
11/26/14 10:24 a.m.

I've read several what cars threads, but each thread seems to bring up a new option.

Some background information, for the last five years I have driven air cooled Volkswagens daily until Feburary of this year when I bought a Honda CR-V. I do want something quick, that can around corners so i could give autocross a try. Some of the cars that have caught my attention are turbo Volvos, P71s, and E30s. I'm not opposed to FWD, but prefer RWD. Sorry, but Miata is already out of the question.

The wife wants out her current driver and wants the Honda so the plan is to sell her car and another car that's sitting in the driveway, leaving me with about $5000 to spend. Now I could take all that money and spend it on one car another part of me wants to build a car for the $2015 Challenge. So what do you have to suggest?

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
11/26/14 10:49 a.m.

If you wanted a competitive autocross car that's also somewhat useful $5K should buy you a sorted 89 Si built to STC rules.

If you wanted to do the challenge, I think ScreaminE is selling his MX6 turbo for challenge money. Not a lot of room left in the budget for... well, anything. However it wouldn't be stuck in a perpetual state of "build me" either.

RWD option - I'd look at E36 328's in that range. Maybe even a high-mileage E46 if you came across the right one. Won't be as competitive as a Civic Si at autocross (for the price), but you'd still have plenty of fun and it's probably a better all-around car.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/26/14 11:22 a.m.

Up here in MA, I was just looking at G35's for under that price. Several 2003's for about $4,000.

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
11/26/14 11:39 a.m.

Guess I should add that I have no intention of trying to be competive in autocross, it is just something I would like to try out. No matter what i buy or build it will be somewhat of a daily driver as I still drive my Bus fairly regulary.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
11/26/14 11:46 a.m.

You mentioned P71, what about the Foxbodies? Seems like with your budget you could pick up a decent V8 Mustang or Tbird. Or a Turbo Thunderbird. Mark VIIs are cool. You could get a nice one for those $$.

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
11/26/14 11:48 a.m.

You can even get a '99-'03 Mustang GT for $5k these days. Maybe not as flexible as a fox, but a better car out of the box.

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
11/26/14 12:15 p.m.

While a Mustang sounds like a good idea I see myself getting back into drag racing if I were to go that route.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
11/26/14 12:19 p.m.

You can get a 350Z for that kinda money. I don't think Turbo Volvo, P71 and auto-x necessarily belong in the same sentence.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
11/26/14 12:26 p.m.

Dunno if I agree. I think a P71 would be riot to autocross if you're there to have fun. It's on my list of things to try.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/26/14 2:13 p.m.

Congrats for coming out of the "lurk".
Your dork-dom will certainly rise quickly.

I have to wonder, what is it about the Miata that does not make it the right choice? I don't ask to challenge your statement but more understand what you don't like in the Miata before I suggest MR2 of Gen 1 , 2 or 3

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
11/26/14 3:40 p.m.

There are a few things about the Miata I learned when I had an MR2 a few years ago. The biggest reason being it is not big enough I like to take the whole family, the wife and one daughter, on fun drives with me. I also need a big enough trunk to fit things like VW transaxles, engines and other various ACVW paraphenalia.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
11/26/14 4:00 p.m.

Buy the best E36 you can find with that money, don't rule out early E46 cars, either, especially the 323s

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
11/26/14 5:06 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Buy the best E36 you can find with half of that money, deferred maintenance, shocks and tires with the rest.

Fixed that for you.

OP sounds like me 10 years ago, at least the ACVW part.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
11/26/14 5:09 p.m.

I bought my last E36 ('95) M3 for $5500. Stretch it to get one- they are fantastic, you will be better in bed, and a much better person.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
11/26/14 6:13 p.m.
Waldo wrote: While a Mustang sounds like a good idea I see myself getting back into drag racing if I were to go that route.

Build the Mustang to autox, they do quite well. I used to drag race, but haven't done it in a long time, having too much fun autoxing.

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
11/27/14 4:05 p.m.

I will definitely be looking at cars with deferred maintenance, and the BMWs really do appeal to me. How reliable is a e36? Looking at build threads around the internet they seem hit or miss on reliability.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
11/27/14 6:39 p.m.

E36s are weak in the reliability department. I have talked to several E36 owners in person, and their experience is similar to mine. Keeping it as a weekend warrior would probably help out a lot. Every thing else is good, ride, handling, small chassis, easy to work on, etc. Mine is for sale.

I have replaced a lot of items on it: New flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, motor and trans mounts, etc.

I would say to not automatically rule out 90s Mustangs and Camaros/Firebirds because they are much cheaper to keep running than an E36 and have a huge aftermarket to improve the handling, including some back surgery options if you want to get wild an run in a high prep class eventually.

Other good cars to start out with autocrossing would be a Neon, Cavalier, a FC RX-7, and a 240sx. Also, test drive all the cars you consider to know which one you like the best, then tell us about it.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' HalfDork
11/27/14 9:55 p.m.

How about a Corvair? There are a couple of high thread count guys on this board that drive them.

Also, as stated above, a second generation RX-7 seems to offer what you’re looking for. BTW, I had one for eighteen years and put 286,000 extremely satisfying miles on it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DzA2wYN6WnNXBIpVQsYkOxT4vGbkPpgKGuel4qHKabCLeHlCxy6IAguY1hGdm1Ly