RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/2/09 1:54 p.m.

Found this CL ad

New Lotus car frame - Aluminum - $420 (Dorr)

Date: 2009-08-30, 11:36AM EDT Reply to: sale-umz6d-1349837408@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

New Lotus car frame made in Europe.

Is it real? Is it an Elise?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
9/2/09 1:55 p.m.

"This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl... "

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
9/2/09 1:57 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

Dang, beat me to it....

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/2/09 2:11 p.m.

Airplane?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/2/09 2:11 p.m.

Not an Elise. Not a 7. Not a Europa. Not an Elan. Not a 2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11...

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
9/2/09 2:58 p.m.

all I know....is it's about 20minutes from my office.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
9/2/09 3:12 p.m.

Not an Evora or an Esprit either. Maybe it's an aftermarket replacement chassis for the Elise. Not as stiff or as light, but 75% cheaper!

Hal
Hal HalfDork
9/2/09 3:19 p.m.
This posting has been deleted by its author. (The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

OOPS, looks like someone came to the same conclusion as you all did!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/2/09 3:28 p.m.
Hal wrote: OOPS, looks like someone came to the same conclusion as you all did!

That it would make a good basis for some sort of locost build?

4eyes
4eyes New Reader
9/2/09 3:40 p.m.

It looks like it is made from Al you mini um ; )

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
9/2/09 3:45 p.m.

In an advert in the new GRM mag they have a mention of the aluminum chassis and says something about "epoxy bonded?" Does this mean the chassis is glued together or do they also tig it? Just curious, my pops works at a large defense contractor and they do tons of epoxy, honeycomb, composites, etc, and my dad has to make sure the components measure up. It would be pretty wild if the chassis was just epoxied.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
9/2/09 10:45 p.m.

I can't speak for the frame in that picture, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the new lotus frame was assembled with just adhesives. Those Brits love their glues. I remember reading in some mag that the newer Aston-Martins have some epoxy bonded sections of their structures, and going all the way back to as early as WW-II the Brits used adhesives heavily in their aircraft construction. The dehaviland mosquito was made mostly of ply-wood and glue (fastest prop driven aircraft to be deployed in combat in WW-II, IIRC)

Carson
Carson Dork
9/2/09 11:09 p.m.

Yes, the Lotus chassis is epoxied. That's what had Renault scratching their heads when the Elise came out shortly after the Sport Spider. The Lotus was significantly lighter than the welded Renault's aluminum chassis. If my memory serves, those details may not be exact, but you get the idea.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
9/2/09 11:11 p.m.

My pops told me that the frame is likely an extrusion of boxed aluminum which fits together like puzzle pieces. It must be like plumbing where you butter up each with pvc/abs adhesive then slide the pieces together and it bonds permantently. I don't know if they TIG it though.

Neato Carson!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim New Reader
9/3/09 1:05 a.m.

IIRC they don't use TIG on it - you can see the exposed adhesive on the chassis of my Elise where you'd normally expect welds.

The chassis above is definitely not an Elise S1 chassis - the chassis legs around the passenger compartment are straight on this one but on the Elise they widen towards the front. The sills are also much higher on an S1 and aren't wide enough for an S2. Not to mention that the firewall on an Elise goes up to about shoulder height as you sit in the car...

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
9/3/09 1:41 a.m.

Interesting....

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
9/3/09 2:29 a.m.

Elise is no tigging, Adhesives re-enforced with rivets. Here is a very long, very dry video on the production of the elise: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7072924456318931568&hl=en#

I feel bad for the company who CNCed the clay model. :D

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WBaXCi9Uc0hHOhPjgDFjLdvzar05CDP8f177o2kYgG7ZN1TYImL0e4U6CLGLjjCl