5 6 7 8 9
klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/7/17 6:22 p.m.

We're just stopping in Birmingham for for fuel/food and should be able to make it to the hotel from there. Today's goal, beat you guys to the hotel

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/7/17 9:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The HHRs are run by the Dublers. They own a Swiss chocolate factory. The story (as I've heard it) is that the cars sit in a warehouse all year, they shut down the chocolate factory for two weeks, come over for One Lap, and give us all a box of chocolates. The box of chocolates part is true. They're delicious.

Last year at Hallett, I visited with these guys and although I know he was kidding I was told: "There were three of us in one last night showing 155 and still pulling."

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 9:39 p.m.
klodkrawler05 wrote: We're just stopping in Birmingham for for fuel/food and should be able to make it to the hotel from there. Today's goal, beat you guys to the hotel

10:39. How did you do?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/7/17 9:51 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

You guys had just shut your trunk and we're walking in when we made a horrible squeal backing into a parking spot.

I knew we shouldn't have made a second stop at Arby's lol

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/7/17 9:57 p.m.

We braved a second stop at the Burger King on the way in and the freaked out a little and had to do some questionable driving to beat a silver BMW into the hotel parking lot. Turns out that one wasn't you and they probably think the Honda guys are kind of D-bags now.
Glad you made it. See you tomorrow!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Reader
5/7/17 11:04 p.m.

That's what you losers get for dropping out of the bracket drags in the first round

(We just got in, time for a shower)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/8/17 5:49 a.m.

Road Atlanta! We're excited. The plan is to walk two laps, but no one is here to let us in.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
5/8/17 8:15 a.m.

Far out. I wish I could make it out to one of your events up here.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/8/17 9:27 a.m.

We got our two recon laps in. The elevation is unreal, there is no way to convey it on video. I can see the places where I need to be brave, but actually being brave is another matter all together.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/8/17 2:28 p.m.

Turns out you can't just blow off track time for the whole year between One Laps, who knew? That is to say, you can, but you should expect to be almost embarrassingly slow. The thing is, I'm sure I could go faster, but I'm not sure I could be having more fun. And my co-driver is getting fast, he finished 39th overall this morning which we all felt was pretty damn good.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/8/17 7:26 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Road Atlanta! We're excited. The plan is to walk two laps, but no one is here to let us in.

True story: We once had the key to that place--like, the actual key for the padlock. But this is back when the track was locked with a simple padlock.

See you tomorrow.

Durty
Durty New Reader
5/9/17 10:23 a.m.

Keep up the posts! This always looks so awesome and is definitely on the bucket list.

-durty

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 10:28 a.m.

These are our brake pads. We have spares, but we desperately need spares for our spares. If anyone knows of a place in central Florida, hopefully between Sebring and Gainsville to get track pads for a 2009 Civic Si, we would really appreciate it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 11:29 a.m.

Carbotech is delivering pads to the track tomorrow morning. Amazing service. These guys have my business for life.
More to the story later, time to suit up!

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
5/9/17 11:45 a.m.

Be sure to properly bed in those pads. We always had horrible issues with uneven pad transfer layer with Carbotechs, over different cars and trying all sorts of things they suggested. They certainly are nice on the phone though, and continued to emphasize how important proper bedding in is for their pads.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 11:49 a.m.

They are going to "pre bed" them. They said it will degass the surface and make it so that material transfers to the surface quickly. We'll see how it goes. We'll make sure to get some stops in before we hit the track.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/9/17 11:51 a.m.

Yikes!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/9/17 12:17 p.m.

what does that rotor look like?

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
5/9/17 12:49 p.m.

So far, I'm happy as a calm with the set of Carbotech AX6s I threw on the Jeep a couple of weeks ago. Bedding them in on the street was a challenge, as it took about 15 minutes of flat out abusing the throttle and brakes to get them hot enough. They seem to have built a nice transfer layer. They stop pretty darn well cold and hot, they stop like running into a brick wall.

Only downsides I've found are the pad backing plates a hair small, so they're not terribly tight to the pad slides (and the rears lack anti-rattle springs). Good for not having them stick in place or anything, but it does produce a slight "click" when you first step on the brakes at low speeds (no big deal). They're a little noisy under light braking at low speeds, but not bad. A little bit of squealing / screeching, but it's not all that loud and it's relatively easy to avoid unless you're sitting in traffic. They do dust though. A lot. I've never seen pads dust this much. A week of driving to work and back took the front wheels from clean to dark grey (rears are medium grey).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 1:27 p.m.

Annnnd pedal to the floor for session two. Always do your brave braking when there is a good runoff road. Glad to have the new brakes tomorrow.
The disk is still good, carbotech wants us to sand the old pad material​ off so we're going to grab a sander and some paper on the way. I need to calm down a bit and collect my thoughts and I'll give a rundown on the day. It's been emotional.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
5/9/17 2:14 p.m.

For sanding the rotors, turn the car into a lathe. On jackstands without wheels, let the clutch out in gear with the car running, apply sandpaper to spinning disc.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/9/17 2:48 p.m.

The long version of today......
We started the day overlooking the hairpin at Sebring. It was lovely. We walked the track one and a half times and felt good about things. My co-driver went out fast (for a a Civic) and was putting time on the car in front of him for the first two laps. He fell back on the third and I figured I needed to talk to him about that. He came in "brakes are gone". We had already planned to pull a wheel after the session, but we didn't expect to find what we did. Some calls. First to Honda Pro Parts and Service in Orlando based on mndsm's suggestion. They only had stock pads but sent us to IPG who were spectacular. The said they could either overnight us pads to an upcoming hotel, or they checked the schedule and suggested we call Carbotech directly see what they could do as they are about 70 miles from tomorrow's track. A quick call to Carbotech and not only do they have the pads but they've already talked to another One Lapper and will have the pads at the track by 7:00 in the morning.
We had spare pads in the box, 70% takeoff pads from before the event. We put them back on and I headed out for the afternoon session. I got almost two laps in before things started to get squishy and on corner 10 the pedal went to the floor and I used a little runoff road before being waved back on track by the corner worker. I was a bit timid for the rest of the lap.
We stopped by Lowes racing supplies and picked up a rotor refinishing kit. Tomorrow we'll get things working again.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/9/17 3:01 p.m.

Good luck. I cooked the brakes on my One Lap 2007 car and they never felt right again, even with a new master cylinder, pads, rotors and fluid

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
5/9/17 3:30 p.m.

Is that the view from the Chateau Elan? Lovely place. Hope you can unwind on the patio with something cold and beer-like.. Good luck, we're all rooting for you!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
5/9/17 3:41 p.m.

All I can say is good luck with everything. Loving all the OLOA posts from everyone. The rest of us are there in spirit with you.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JzPx3yz0TqZQEEzJPg9b6cYE1ui3PTsMw26BkCYR0jinJjk6pFijFPCga5Fk3V05