Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
8/1/09 11:47 a.m.

This past Thursday, McLaren Engines in Livonia, Michigan held a party celebrating their 40th anniversary. All current and former employees were invited, and they managed to convince some collectors to bring out a few of their cars. I thought you guys might enjoy the pics.

Some history about McLaren Engines - it started as a place for Bruce McLaren to build his engines for his CanAm cars, instead of shipping them overseas every time they needed a rebuild. A few years after Bruce died, McLaren Cars in the UK and McLaren Engines in the US decided to go their separate ways. Part of the agreement was that McLaren Cars would not produce their own engines, and McLaren Engines would not produce their own cars. This is why the McLaren Formula One team always uses someone elses engines. It's also the reason that whenever McLaren Engines wants to customize a car they have to team up with another company like ASC (ASC/McLaren Mustangs and Capris, the Buick GNX, Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo, etc). Anyways, after the split, McLaren Engines went racing with a number of different companies, like BMW in IMSA GTP (2L 1000hp 4 cylinders), they did the engines for Cadillac's LMP cars, and various other things like Turbo Buicks for Indy, IRL engines, Turbo BBCs for offshore racing. Lately they've been doing a lot of design for high performance production engines, like the cylinder heads for Vipers and Z06 Vettes. Anyways, on to the pictures:

This McLaren M1B is actually street legal. The guy drove it to and from the event.

McLaren M8F

McLaren M20

BMW IMSA GTP

BMW M1

BMW 320 Turbo

Ford Racing 1953 FR100 Panel Van This van is actually a widened panel van body on a tube frame chassis with a FR500 5L Modular engine. When sorting out the suspension, the Ford Racing guys would split the cost of a track rental with various clubs. They would take great joy in wiping the floor with many high dollar sports cars (Vipers, Z06's, BMWs, Porsches). The way the truck is built it's difficult to see that it has a tube frame chassis, so most of the people thought they were getting beat by an old van.

Ford Racing Focus FR200 The red car is the one that was in one of the mainstream magazines a few years back beating a first generation Z06 around a race track.

Buick V6 Turbo

Cadillac ALMS Twin Turbo V8

Turbo Chevy V8 for offshore racing

McLaren M20 Intakes

There's lot more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmidlap1/sets/72157621784933145/

Most of these cars (except the street driven M1B) will be at the Meadow Brook Concours tomorrow if you're in the Detroit area and want to see them and many other incredible cars.

There's more pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmidlap1/sets/72157621784933145/

Bob

P.S. Let me know if you can't see the pics. I've never posted pics before, so I'm not sure I did it right.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
8/1/09 1:05 p.m.

i'd have taken my McLaren turbo grand prix if it hadn't been raped of its heritage by having the turbo 3.1 sold out of it.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
8/2/09 12:14 a.m.

I guess I will go smoke my cigarette now Thanks for the date

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZ6HcKe1q2406wDNTFR7FaqcZ1NMPHhiDatIOhSMN3A2btaDuUVFELcVc5avxnpY