1 2 3
Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/1/17 5:07 p.m.

Im planning on doing an isolation box with a filter on my 94. Cant decide which would be better: a naca duct on the headlight lid or a turn signal intake.

What say the hive?

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
3/1/17 6:55 p.m.

I doubt that there would be any perceivable performance difference between the two setups, so I'd just go with which one you think looks better.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/2/17 11:40 a.m.

In reply to mainlandboy:

To me the headlight looks much better if done well.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/2/17 11:50 a.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. Who sells a reasonably cost-effective headlight intake these days?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 11:56 a.m.

I prefer TSIs, but I may be biased.

Carbonmiata sells a fiberglass set of headlight covers with one vented for $189 (also available in carbon fiber and carbon kevlar for more) Unfortunately I bought some of Carbonmiata's stuff last summer and none of it fit worth a damn. The door handle cups were literally unusable.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/2/17 12:22 p.m.

In reply to NickD:

Well damn. I was looking at getting their hardtop rain rails.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/2/17 12:38 p.m.
Duke wrote: This thread is relevant to my interests. Who sells a reasonably cost-effective headlight intake these days?

I know a guy. These aren't Carbonmiata parts.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/naca-duct-carbon-headlight-covers.html

Also, it's a relatively easy DIY job to modify the factory covers if you're cheap. Same with building your own turn signal intakes.

I've never tested the relative efficiency of these two. I ran both on the Targa Miata in V8 form.

DIY TSI.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Fitzauto:

The door handle cups, the screw holes were in the wrong location and angled at a 45 degree angle, rather than being perpendicular to the door. Plus the holes were so small that the stock screw wouldn't fit through, although even if it did, it would miss the hole in the door and if you somehow got it threaded it would have cracked it as soon as you tightened it.

Their rear finish panel came with hardware, but god knows what it went to, because it sure didn't work for the finish panel. None of the slots lined up remotely, so I had to end up filing the hell out of all the slots and then grinding down the stock Mazda hardware to make it fit, and even then it was kinda janky-fitting. Pity, because I really want their RE-Amemiya style hood, but I don't want to shell out $800+ for something if it's going to have that level of fitment issues

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/2/17 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Thanks, but A) $149 is too rich for my blood, and 2) they've been on infinite backorder since at least last fall.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 1:14 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: They've been on infinite backorder since at least last fall.

Seems to be the case with a lot of their stuff lately. What's the deal with that?

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/2/17 1:25 p.m.

Ill probably DIY mine. Revlimiter has a good write-up for those interested.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
3/2/17 1:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I know a guy.

Did you guys not see this? Don't ask questions, you might get an uncomfortable visit... yeesh.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
3/2/17 1:28 p.m.

What about the cowl style eg. Randall?

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
3/2/17 1:28 p.m.

There are a few good DIY turn signal intake videos on YouTube. I was considering doing it before, now I think it will be mandatory when I put the snail on.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
3/2/17 2:16 p.m.

I put a DIY video on youtube about 2 months ago on how to make one like keith posted for about $30 just go to youtube and put Rumnhammer in and you will find it. I used 2 leds for the running light and turn signal.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/2/17 2:38 p.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Thanks, but A) $149 is too rich for my blood, and 2) they've been on infinite backorder since at least last fall.

Then I wonder how we shipped one to a guy last week? Doing a quick glance, I see at least 10 going out this year so far. So perhaps they're not on infinite backorder. Maybe you just have good luck with timing. Really, what you're saying is that you don't want to pay the money. Fair enough. I've done a DIY NACA duct on a headlight, and I did it without YouTube

NickD wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: They've been on infinite backorder since at least last fall.
Seems to be the case with a lot of their stuff lately. What's the deal with that?

Please give examples. Most of our stuff is in stock all the time. Some items will occasionally go out of stock for a while like the V-Maxx, but once the container arrives it's all good. Spring is the most likely season for stock shortages. What are you looking for?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/2/17 2:42 p.m.
Snrub wrote: What about the cowl style eg. Randall?

Very effective, allows the use of a stock airbox. If you're running a turbo, then it's not really as much of an option. Not as many parking lot style points.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 3:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Thanks, but A) $149 is too rich for my blood, and 2) they've been on infinite backorder since at least last fall.
Then I wonder how we shipped one to a guy last week? Doing a quick glance, I see at least 10 going out this year so far. So perhaps they're not on infinite backorder. Maybe you just have good luck with timing. Really, what you're saying is that you don't want to pay the money. Fair enough. I've done a DIY NACA duct on a headlight, and I did it without YouTube
NickD wrote:
Please give examples. Most of our stuff is in stock all the time. Some items will occasionally go out of stock for a while like the V-Maxx, but once the container arrives it's all good. Spring is the most likely season for stock shortages. What are you looking for?

BP-4W overhaul kit. I got told it was backordered to early-to-mid March due to no standard rod bearings. Not that it matters now, because it's been 4 weeks and the machine shop hasn't gotten to my engine yet. My fault for waiting so late too try and overhaul an engine, I guess

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/2/17 3:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Then I wonder how we shipped one to a guy last week? Doing a quick glance, I see at least 10 going out this year so far.
NickD wrote:
Please give examples. Most of our stuff is in stock all the time.

Price aside, I'm not trying to be a dick, seriously. Maybe the website's broken, or maybe it's some weird problem on my end. I've checked half a dozen times over the last 6 months, and it always says you have 2 right side plain ones in stock, and the vented left ones are on backorder. Specifically those quantities, which is why I noticed it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/2/17 4:09 p.m.
NickD wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
NickD wrote:
BP-4W overhaul kit. I got told it was backordered to early-to-mid March due to no standard rod bearings. Not that it matters now, because it's been 4 weeks and the machine shop hasn't gotten to my engine yet. My fault for waiting so late too try and overhaul an engine, I guess

Ah, ACL. They're a known problem supplier. Good bearings, but sheesh. They drop off the radar for long periods occasionally. I've got a set of Kings if you want those instead.

As for inventory on the headlight covers, I checked the upload records. It would have shown inventory for left side ones on 2/22. I then uploaded some fake inventory to make sure the mechanism was working, and it was - had you been looking, you would have seen them come in to stock and then disappear again. Going back to 10/6 (chosen randomly because it's last fall), you would have seen 9 of the left vented ones but 0 of the plain left side. I'll keep my eye on it, but I can't explain what you're telling me.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/2/17 4:15 p.m.

Lean on the back of the headlight cover. Add a bigger rubber hood bumper. Done.

This is actually illegal for SCCA Spec Miata, even though I don't really think that it accomplishes much.

photo UnspecifiedMiata032.jpg

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/2/17 4:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Well, doesn't matter at the moment until I hear from the machine shop. At this point it's too late to build the engine, swap it in, troubleshoot and break it in before race season, so I'll just wait.

Woody wrote: Lean on the back of the headlight cover. Add a bigger rubber hood bumper. Done. This is actually illegal for SCCA Spec Miata, even though I don't really think that it accomplishes much.  photo UnspecifiedMiata032.jpg

Also seems like if you run with headlamps up, you would get some cold air through the front. Me and a fellow Miata racer both talked about that theory and tried it at our Enduro event (5 laps of a shifter kart course, about 3 minutes straight of running) and both ran our fastest lap. Not sure if it had anything to do with it or not, but we felt smart.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/2/17 4:40 p.m.

I always autocross with the headlights up. Not only does it - possibly - let more air under the hood, but it also lets me see the corners of the car better.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
3/2/17 4:48 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Ah, ACL. They're a known problem supplier. Good bearings, but sheesh. They drop off the radar for long periods occasionally. I've got a set of Kings if you want those instead.

Yeah, the ACL bearing backorder affected everyone. I know of one Miata vendor who had a few sets left in stock, if you asked him how much for one he would say "$3000. Comes with a free engine."

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/2/17 5:02 p.m.

I have measured intake temperatures with an intake right behind the headlight, and lights up was far better than lights down. That's why I went to a TSI on that particular car. I would not expect it to have any functional effect on an autox.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UXXT6jFDD4an20kR2A1cHdTvqkQPFUkGzdc4ztpgbDx7CBsDfXqlxysDPLwmuvyl