1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
2/8/24 10:56 a.m.
feature_image

Mini announced new global gas-powered Cooper and Cooper S models today, promising “minimalist design, digital innovations and an immersive user experience.”

A 3-door layout remains, with both the U.S.-market Cooper–which Mini calls the Cooper “C” in the press release&…

Read the rest of the story

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
2/8/24 11:30 a.m.

It could be great, but I chafe at the ad copy. "Immersive user experience?" They're talking about the infotainment system instead of the driving, aren't they?

malibuguy
malibuguy HalfDork
2/8/24 11:46 a.m.

I kinda dig it.  I am assuming no manual version is availible?  (not that I would buy a new car anyways)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
2/8/24 11:52 a.m.

I dig it too. Nice styling, and real physical knobs for radio contorl! Wonder if the 2.0L is NA or turbo, or possibly mild hybrid? 

But also, what fresh hell is this screen...

And these transmission controls? Does not bode well for a manual option. 

Colin Wood
2/8/24 12:10 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

It could be great, but I chafe at the ad copy. "Immersive user experience?" They're talking about the infotainment system instead of the driving, aren't they?

I'll admit that most of the press release was light on information on driving dynamics. Hopefully we'll get more technical information soon.

Colin Wood
2/8/24 12:11 p.m.
malibuguy said:

I kinda dig it.  I am assuming no manual version is availible?  (not that I would buy a new car anyways)

I think that's a safe assumption, at least with the Cooper and Cooper S–but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Colin Wood
2/8/24 12:13 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I dig it too. Nice styling, and real physical knobs for radio contorl! Wonder if the 2.0L is NA or turbo, or possibly mild hybrid? 

Oddly enough, the release didn't say. I would assume a turbo, though I didn't consider the mild hybrid option. It could even be both.

And yeah, +1 for hard buttons.

And these transmission controls? Does not bode well for a manual option. 

Good point.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/8/24 12:20 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

But also, what fresh hell is this screen...

That's the "immersive user experience."

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/8/24 12:23 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

No more manuals for Minis: Want a new Mini with a manual? This might be your last chance. | News | Grassroots Motorsports

True bummer, in my eyes. The previous generation had a stellar manual, IMO. It was like idiot-proof.

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
2/8/24 12:36 p.m.

I like the "experiences" switch, that way you can turn them off when you've had enough and just want to not experience. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/8/24 1:11 p.m.
Jesse Ransom said:

Yea, I cringed at that as well; however, I am going to spitball here and say it's aimed at those damned youths. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/8/24 1:14 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

I like the "experiences" switch, that way you can turn them off when you've had enough and just want to not experience. 

I hope it truly is a binary switch to go from "immersive experiences" to "nothing" and it tosses you into the void. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/8/24 1:26 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
Jesse Ransom said:

Yea, I cringed at that as well; however, I am going to spitball here and say it's aimed at those damned youths. 

The marketing team is three years behind with their jargon. "Immersive Experience" was the "Synergy" of the late 2010's. These days it's all about the AI powered/assisted whatevers.

Of course none of the three add anything to a car but we all know how marketing people are when they latch onto a phrase.

gbuff
gbuff New Reader
2/8/24 1:50 p.m.

No manual, no buy.

From one who has been driving/tracking manual Coopers since 2005.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/8/24 2:37 p.m.
The0retical said:
DirtyBird222 said:
Jesse Ransom said:

The marketing team is three years behind with their jargon. "Immersive Experience" was the "Synergy" of the late 2010's. These days it's all about the AI powered/assisted whatevers.

Of course none of the three add anything to a car but we all know how marketing people are when they latch onto a phrase.

Synergy is making a comeback. I heard it used over 20+ times in the last two weeks. 

rathonda
rathonda New Reader
2/8/24 2:38 p.m.

[Mini says by relocating the gear selector, “the center console now has space to accommodate the new Wireless Charging Shelf 2.0 where smartphones can be stored here and charged wirelessly."]... Hmmm, maybe relocate the Wireless Charging Shelf to the trash can and make accommodations for a manual transmission, clutch pedal, and a smooth gear shifter. Just a thought.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
2/8/24 3:18 p.m.

You guys are missing the real conspiracy. I think all this stuff is just a ploy to bury the thermostat even deeper into the creamy nougat center of the car.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
2/8/24 4:25 p.m.

All turbo motors now from MINI, have been since about 2015 or 16.......I do like that green tho!

I love the turbo motor in my 2009 MINI, lots of torque, gets great fuel mileage and tows my classic Mini like it's not even there. I have the 6 speed auto with the flappy paddles and I don't know what the "manual only" bunch is screaming about - it works perfectly - can be up and down shifted manually or simply left in "D", it has the same number of gears. All this talk of "engagement " is just nonsense IMHO, the only difference is to my left leg, not having to punch a clutch pedal a million times. The cars are also quicker to 60 than the manual cars......so there's that too! 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
2/8/24 5:33 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
maschinenbau said:

Oddly enough, the release didn't say. I would assume a turbo, though I didn't consider the mild hybrid option. It could even be both.

And yeah, +1 for hard buttons.

most likely it's some variety of tweaked BMW B48 twin-scroll turbo engine.  The 228hp one in our new-to-us X1 has been nice so far.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/8/24 6:13 p.m.

No thanks.....I'll keep my R53 manual until I die...........or my left hip goes to hell.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
2/8/24 10:04 p.m.

At this point just buy the electric one when it comes out. How many will  ICE cars they sell in NA?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/8/24 10:50 p.m.

A MINI without a manual is horrible to me. 

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
2/8/24 10:58 p.m.

30k?!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/8/24 11:45 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

No more manuals for Minis: Want a new Mini with a manual? This might be your last chance. | News | Grassroots Motorsports

True bummer, in my eyes. The previous generation had a stellar manual, IMO. It was like idiot-proof.

Ya but then they go and build better idiots. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/9/24 8:34 a.m.
rathonda said:

[Mini says by relocating the gear selector, “the center console now has space to accommodate the new Wireless Charging Shelf 2.0 where smartphones can be stored here and charged wirelessly."]... Hmmm, maybe relocate the Wireless Charging Shelf to the trash can and make accommodations for a manual transmission, clutch pedal, and a smooth gear shifter. Just a thought.

I love wireless charging. It makes my phone super hot while killing the battery. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
806uHYvnNLsjYmJwLpX1lIWeuumtdC1MtCFpTrXnvjXEjzL889Eq5HK30Qymj8gg