1 2 3
bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
11/13/08 5:32 p.m.

This should be good! What was the most bogus moving violation you have ever received???

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/13/08 5:37 p.m.

I have deserved them all :(

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/13/08 5:48 p.m.

leaving campus after dropping my gf off after a long day of skiing.

cop pulls his front bumper a foot into my lane and i have to swerve to miss him crossing the center line. (i wasnt speeding, he just pulled up that fast)..

get pulled over and ticketed for crossing center with the cop threatening to drag me into the office to be testing for driving under the influence of pot (i have never in my life smoked pot, car could NOT have smelled of it,) he reams me for 15min saying im under the influence of something when i am just dog tired.

IIRC it was something like $250 down the drain and my insurance is hurting like hell from it apparently. (ticked for crossing center, but found out that my mom had forgotten to renew the tags on her car that I was borrowing and got a ticket for that too)

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
11/13/08 5:50 p.m.

Just a "following too closely". I was in the passing lane and we were all moving along around 80 mph but there was a police officer following behind me pretty close to me. I was equally close to the car in front of us, probably about 2 car lengths, and we went like this for about half an hour. I figure we're just driving... but just as I'm about to take my exit, I see the blues. I have no idea why he's pulling me over at this point... turns out he wants to give me a 'following too closely'. What can I do.

It is weak compared to some of the things I've gotten off of... but lately I haven't been pulled over much, but when I do a get a ticket no matter how small the infraction is..

I guess the worst thing was when I got pulled over for "drunk driving" when I was driving perfect and didn't drink at all! Of course I didn't get a ticket but I was dumbfounded..

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
11/13/08 5:54 p.m.

I'm with belteshazzar on this, I've earned every ticket I've gotten while moving. Now one time I got a ticket for no front plate on my parked car. That turned into a huge clusterberkeley because no one informed me that because my car was parked it was a parking ticket, not a ticket from the police, until it was well past due and I had to pay $165 on a $15 fix-it ticket AND got new plates because I had lost the old front plate. It wasn't like I didn't try to fix the situation. I went to the police station weekly asking about my ticket until someone directed me to the parking ticket people who apparently aren't connected with the police. Luckily that lady was a heinous bitch to me on top of my getting screwed by the whole situation. Don't worry, I'm not bitter at all.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
11/13/08 5:54 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: leaving campus after dropping my gf off after a long day of skiing. cop pulls his front bumper a foot into my lane and i have to swerve to miss him crossing the center line. (i wasnt speeding, he just pulled up that fast).. get pulled over and ticketed for crossing center with the cop threatening to drag me into the office to be testing for driving under the influence of pot (i have never in my life smoked pot, car could NOT have smelled of it,) he reams me for 15min saying im under the influence of something when i am just dog tired. IIRC it was something like $250 down the drain and my insurance is hurting like hell from it apparently. (ticked for crossing center, but found out that my mom had forgotten to renew the tags on her car that I was borrowing and got a ticket for that too)

Wow, that sucks!!! Those are the worst... I probably would have been forced to make the situation worse for myself...

It reminds me once when the same thing happened though. I was just minding my business on a road that had a crossroad with a 2 way stop (no stops on my road). There is a police officer waiting at the stop sign but he drives out RIGHT in front of me so I almost hit him, then circles around in the intersection and pulls me over with some bullE36 M3 excuse. I didn't say anything and didn't get a ticket... I was pissed though. I've gotta get a in-car video camera.

Woody
Woody Dork
11/13/08 6:31 p.m.

I was driving home on the highway late one night and two state troopers had a couple of cars pulled to the side of the road. I thought there had been an accident, so I briefly flipped on my high beams to make sure I wouldn't be driving into debris. One of the cops thought that I did it just to be an a-hole. He immediately pulled me over and asked me why I was trying to blind him. I explained myself and then he gave me a ticket for having a radar detector. At the time, it was not illegal to own one, but it was illegal to have one installed in your car. Once he lit up his car, I didn't dare try hiding it under my seat.

Turning on my high beams cost me $50.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
11/13/08 8:41 p.m.

I was once ticketed for failing to obey a traffic control device - those little BS "stop" signs in a shopping center parking lot. Cop didn't like that I was going at a pretty high rate of speed through said lot trying to get to the pharmacy before it closed for some medicine for my sick kid, and to top it all off he jerked me around until the store closed. That ticket was dismissed, private property, they weren't properly posted signs, several other reasons why they went away. Now, the 60 in a 30, that one I deserved, even if it was a Saturday morning in an essentially abandoned industrial park.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
11/13/08 9:33 p.m.

Failure to keep right. 6:30am in rush hour traffic on a streach of hi-way with 7 exits in 3 miles....They want you to weeve in and out of trafic WTF. Lost in court twice fighting it. $50 ticket court ...fees...$75 WTF still pissed 1 year latter.

jrtech
jrtech New Reader
11/14/08 12:39 a.m.

Yes. I deserve more.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
11/14/08 12:48 a.m.

44 in a 25, I was un aware that you have to PASS the sign for the new speed limit to count. I always thought it was you can see the sign that's the limit WTF.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/14/08 5:21 a.m.

75 in a 50. Speed trap with multiple cruisers hunting. Waved off by the one cop, flagged by the other, in spite of the other cop telling him I'm not the car.

Ask Johny Law where I was speeding, and he tells me it can't be seen from where we are. Ask how he could clock me if he couldn't see me. He got a confused look on his face and said he wasn't sure. Ask to see the timing unit (vascar), he doesn't have one.

Go to court, realize I'm going to lose when the judge in a case before me reams a driver for challenging his ticket. Just because the ticket was covering several different towns (street in this city, located in that city, set up in another city, etc). Cop even admits it's all a mess and he couldn't do what he wrote down on the ticket, and wasn't where he said he was. None the less the cop and judge are friends, so it's all ok.

Go to file the appeal after I lost (of course). Get politely warned by the clerk that if I appeal I will appear before the same judge who just hung me, but now with the authority to hang me even higher. The clerk tells me that if I thought this judge was nasty and unfair in traffic court, wait until I see what he's like in district court after daring to challenge his previous ruling. He takes it very personally.

At that point, I quit and just paid the fine.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
11/14/08 10:23 a.m.

I've deserved them all too.

The cheapest ticket I ever got was my first one. 55 in a 25 I'm 17 years old so my dad has to come to court with me. After he described my life after getting the ticket the judge took pity on me and dropped it to just speeding and only charged me court costs.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
11/14/08 11:12 a.m.

Back in the late '80s I drove a newspaper van, delivering the AM paper to paper boys in the wee hours between 2AM and 6AM. Rural PA is pretty devoid of traffic... so you take certain liberties with stop lights... I had slowed, looked and run thru 3 when the cop finally pulled me over. 3 citations, 9 points and $370 in 5 minutes. It took a long time for my wallet to heal from the insurance bill from that little mess.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
11/14/08 11:38 a.m.

I have two:

1: On my way home from my honeymoon we stopped just outside of Lansing to get fuel and a couple cold soft drinks at a large Speedway station on a semi busy north south road. I exited out of the north exit heading south because there was some douche blocking the south exit with a car and a trailer. I accelerated the 1995 Pontiac Grand Am enough to get to the south exit (50 yards?) and the red lights come on... The cop said he just "Clocked me going 90" I said it was impossible and I showed him the reciept from the Speedway and he still wrote me a "5 over violation". Won in court.

2: I bought an Audi 80 from the VWAudi dealer (The same one I work at now) and was towing it home after work when I see a cop with a guy pulled over on the right side of a three lane road about a hundred feet from the corner that I have to turn at. I am in my Astro with a 25 foot open trailer. I slow down and give the officer as much room as possible considering traffic and pull into their lane to turn the corner. The car the cop was behind lights up its red and blue lights and pulls me over!

It seems that if you do not give the police in Michigan a lane of traffic regardless of conditions you are a serial killer who must be executed on the spot. The fine is $585.00 and 4 points. I was able to plea down to a $100.00 fine and 0 points for being considerate.

Kramer
Kramer Reader
11/14/08 11:46 a.m.

My father, a civil engineer, had re-designed many of the stoplights and street signs in his small town. One night, he made a right turn on red, and got pulled over. The officer said "you can't do that!". My dad said "do what?". The officer claimed there was a "no turn on red" sign at the intersection. My father explained that he placed the order for all of the signs, and there definitely was no such sign. He convinced the officer to drive around the block, upon which the officer finally ate crow. I wonder how many other people got ticketed by this inept officer.

My brother got arrested, cuffed and hauled to jail in front of his kids for an expired driver's license. His wife bailed him out, and he got his license renewed. At court, he showed his new license, and the bail was accepted as payment for the infraction. Why this was an arrest, and not a fix-it situation is a wonder.

That same brother was driving my POS '76 Impala, complete with flame-job and more rust than any Impala I've ever seen. He got to Dublin, OH (upscale city), and was pulled over for "touching the yellow line". The officer suspected he was drunk at 7:00 AM on a Monday morning. He was given a warning.

I, personally, have only received a ticket maybe 35% of the times I've been pulled over. Two breathylizers, numerous yelling cops, and a hastily-scribbled written warning for 85 in a 65 are but a few of my run-ins with Johnny Law.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/14/08 12:00 p.m.

I pretty much deserved all the moving violations I ever got. I got pulled over once in a really bogus fashion once, though. I was coming to an intersection with a traffic light and a shopping center, I planned to stop at the grocery store so I turned into the parking lot. I went down to the front of the lot, pulled into a parking spot and saw that the lines inside were like 10 people deep at each one. It wasn't all that important that I go inside (I still had a few condoms left! ) so I backed out and went to the other side of the lot and as I turned out onto the road I got hit with the blues. The cop accused me of cutting through the parking lot to avoid the traffic light, but decided to 'let me go with a verbal warning this time, son'.

EDIT: Back when I was much younger and much dumber than I am now (that implies some sort of improvement ) I was let go on what could have been BIG TIME DUI's twice, so I guess it all works out. I really should have gone to jail for those because I really had no business driving. Both times the cops followed me home to make sure I made it OK. Looking back, I am really glad I didn't kill someone.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/14/08 12:12 p.m.

I got a speeding ticket in my driveway once.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/14/08 12:12 p.m.

I'm sitting on one right now that really pisses me off. The "Move over" law in GA may cost me $500. Basically, this law requires you move over 1 lane when there are emergency personel on the shoulder.

I was doing 42 mph, moved to the left side of the lane (because I had limited visibility over a hill behind me), and passed the officer cautiously. I counted 7 cars that did a similar thing while waiting for him to write me the ticket.

This small town has exactly 1 mile of frontage on this (or any) 2 lane highway. They use this new law for the sole purpose of boosting their revenues.

Stupid thing is, I'd pay it if it was a reasonable amount. But now I'll have to assist in clogging the court system, because I REALLY can't afford it. $500 is completely unreasonable.

car39
car39 Reader
11/14/08 12:35 p.m.

Got a ticket for 61 in a 55. Even my wife, who was in the car, called it a bogus ticket. I got it because I legally passed a trooper on the highway, as he was slowing down to get off the highway. He ignored an accident call while he was writing me up. I think it was a combination of black car with a body kit, dealer plates, and a radar detector. I paid rather than fight because it meant no points and no insurance report

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/14/08 12:49 p.m.

98 in a 55, and JUST off the probation period on my liscense... almost lost my liscence

52 in a 30, And the cop was sitting on the 55/30 line

and most recently, I was ticited in my accident in the taurus. That one sucked because i show up to plead and pay the ticket, but the court needed proof that my insurance Co. payed the other party. So they gave me the pleasure of sitting another 2-3 hours in court for my 5 minuets in front of the judge.

I've had 4 warrnings so far, one for "chirping" my tires (learning clutch+ stoping on hills= bad), 2 for blown bulbs, and 1 for slowing down at a messed up intersection in vestal NY

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/14/08 12:51 p.m.

I had a buddy in high school who got a ticket for 32 in a 30. No, really. He was (IIRC) 17 at the time and driving a Chevy van (his dad's) and was going down a hill in Columbia, dragging the brakes the whole way trying not to go over the limit because the cop was right behind him. The cop was a Forest Acres cop, well known as the most strict in the city. He went to court along with his dad, the judge wouldn't even lower the fine. I guess they were determined to teach him a lesson.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
11/14/08 12:59 p.m.

this is almost worth starting a "technicalities" thread for simple tricks to fight tickets

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
11/14/08 12:59 p.m.

I actually have none, even though I often travel at speeds where I could have my license taken away for life (120kph+). Yay for lazy ineffective police!

I'm actually a careful driver most of the time, but I'm not going to sit and wait all the way down that big 'ol 4-lane highway when everyone's doing 60-80kph...

skruffy
skruffy Dork
11/14/08 1:15 p.m.

I got an awesome ticket once. The actual violation was "horn honking/squealing tires". 11pm. Stone dead 4 way intersection. Not another car in sight. My light goes green and I, well, made smoke going through the intersection and then let off. Never broke the speed limit. The cop had to have been following me with his lights off since he just appeared out of nowhere behind me.

The people at the courthouse had to look up the fine. It's $275 and 6 points. The clerk reduced it to $100 and no points. She thought it was crazy after I told her the circumstances. Best day ever.

I never did honk the horn, I don't know where that part came from...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ODORu19aIRp3Jljxp3gUCCTy2ddA3H44JsR2dqqxHDChDSLbGrjB0FmUrM8WS6E4