AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
2/1/17 5:41 p.m.

I currently have two exhaust leaks, and they aren't getting any better, so I need to find a full exhaust (header back).

One leak is a smallish hole in the resonator where the mount ripped out. The other is where the header meets the down pipe. I may or may not have snapped one of the three studs holding it together last time I had to remove the exhaust... And the rest of the exhaust is rusting out, so I need to replace EVERYTHING.

Looking for options!

Option 1: Flyin Miata Stainless Header Back Exhaust. - ~$1300 Shipped (+10ish HP, bonus!)

Option 2: Anything cheaper???

I don't need performance, and it doesn't have to sound amazing (no fart cans though), it's my daily driver so I just need something I won't have to replace again for a while.

-1997 Miata, 1995 engine.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/1/17 5:52 p.m.

I was looking at Miata exhaust stuff last night. The plan for my 95 was to get one of the stainless Bosal Spec Miata catbacks like I had on my other cars but I was very bummed to discover that it is no longer available. Not sure what I'm going to do. I liked that enough that I'd consider buying a used one.

Needless to say, I'll be following this thread closely.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
2/1/17 5:58 p.m.

I've owned 2 FM exhausts (2.5", then later upgraded to 3"), and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

oilstain
oilstain New Reader
2/1/17 7:02 p.m.

I helped a friend of mine put a Raceland (Riceland) header on his Miata. After realizing there was a bracket in the way, installation went fairly smooth. Had to grind up a couple cheap wrenches to get to the header nuts, but not too bad. It was pretty cheap at the time. Don't know if they are still cheap, or if they even still sell them, just throwing that out there.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/1/17 7:14 p.m.

While I eventually plan on getting an FM system for my car, I have also had a custom stainless system made for my car. Watson Engineering did the work, and it STILL is awesome.

asoduk
asoduk HalfDork
2/1/17 7:16 p.m.

Just putting this out there: a local muffler shop with motivated/skilled/creative employees should be able to weld something custom up for a couple hundred bucks.

I ran into this with a Saab I was trying to sell. $900 for stock, $800 for aftermarket, $200 cash for custom at the muffler shop.

I do realize that the FM/RB/SD parts make more power... but maybe you're just looking for quiet.

codrus
codrus SuperDork
2/1/17 7:46 p.m.
asoduk wrote: I do realize that the FM/RB/SD parts make more power... but maybe you're just looking for quiet.

FM parts are also stainless. If you live somewhere that rust is a problem, this is supposed to be a huge win.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
2/1/17 9:17 p.m.

I run a mutt system of Racing Beat header, FM high flow cat and Good-Win Racing RoadsterSport 3 exhaust and absolutely love it. All told it came to $1000. Biggest issue I've had was the converter flanges were nowhere near flat and had to be surfaced (on a belt sander) and the exhaust tended to bump the bump my Cannon rear subframe brace until it self-clearanced. But totally worth the sound, it has a Subaru-esque growl at the low end and then screams like a sport bike above 4 grand.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
2/1/17 10:43 p.m.

I really like the tone of my Roadster Sport 2.5 inch system with the RS3 muffler. It sounds very Lotus like, changing from a rumble, to a growl, and finally a to howl once the tach swings past 5500.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
2/1/17 11:04 p.m.

Happy owner of the FM full 2.5" exhaust system. With high flow cat and JR header. It sounds as good as any Miata I've encountered.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
2/1/17 11:29 p.m.

Either go with a used OEM header or hunt down a Racing Beat. For everything else, EnthuzaCar will make a custom stainless midpipe if you contact them. Mine is amazing! Use a stock muffler if you don't care about performance and want to save $300. Otherwise, snag it from EnthuzaCar while you're at it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
2/2/17 6:33 a.m.

Honestly, if my Saab sells, I'll just use the cash to get the FM exhaust.

I don't really feel like fighting with it too much, so I like that the FM system would just work. I hate that it's almost $200 for shipping though. I guess Amazon has spoiled me...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
2/2/17 7:54 a.m.

Keep trolling CL and FB for part outs. Old Miatai never truly die, their parts just get bolted onto the next one.

My exhaust system was $600 and the header was $100. Both CL two years ago.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/2/17 9:58 a.m.

I have a Yonaka catback on the yellow car. It was stupid cheap - like less than $200. Sounds pretty good and it actually fit really well, longevity is TBD.

johndej
johndej Reader
2/2/17 1:22 p.m.

Yeah, that Yonaka is cheap, how long have you had it on? is it buzzy at all?

I lost the tail pipe just past the muffler on mine the other day. Have been driving it w/o that elbow right now but the drone/buzz is terrible so will get fixed asap.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/2/17 2:18 p.m.

I wouldn't call it buzzy, no. I think it sounds good. It's only been on a few months though, and no winter use (or salt) for that car.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
2/2/17 6:03 p.m.

I am no master fabricator, but I build my own header back exhaust for my Miata chumpcar. I bought a magnaflow muffler from a local parts store and purchased bends, straight pipe, hangers, flanges, etc. parts from http://exhaustdirect.com/. I think it works well and while its not winter driven, there's not a spec of rust on the non-stainless parts. I suspect they're a grade or two above typical mild steel. I certainly beat most of the costs listed above, but honestly for the hassle I wish I'd simply purchased a known commodity. My exhaust is close to straight so it didn't require a lot of skill to make it.

I don't know if I'd recommend a spec miata class exhaust for a daily driver. The ability to hear is a precious thing. If you keep a cat on it reduces the need for a better quality muffler.

I have a raceland header. They're not as cheap as they use to be, but they're pretty nicely fabricated for a ebay class-plus header. I found it a real pain to get it installed. I had to adjust stud holes, replace most studs with bolts and the EGR valve line doesn't remotely line up.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
2/2/17 7:08 p.m.

I know its not gonna help to much because mine is turboed.

I ended up getting the isr exhaust. Its mellow at low rpm and has a deep exhaust note. Its stainless and around $330.

The only thing i hate is the exhaust tip. I would of been super happy with a 2 1/2" or even a 3" tip but its a massive 4" hole at the end.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
2/4/17 9:32 p.m.

Thinking I just need to find a stock exhaust manifold. Anyone got one?

Toebra
Toebra Reader
2/5/17 9:03 a.m.

Where are you? Dismantlers all over the place, or even Craigs list

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
2/5/17 9:20 a.m.

Waynesboro, PA

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/5/17 7:20 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: Thinking I just need to find a stock exhaust manifold. Anyone got one?

As a matter of fact, I do.

Although that and the original muffler is probably the only usable piece of the old exhaust system. 99 Miata Base.

Had a crack on the outlet of the resonator that I patched then got worse. Previously replaced the muffler with a small Magnaflow (I didn't like the large outlet either but price was right) and it only had one hanger bracket so that's all I used. Resonator outlet cracked, patched and added a strap hanger. Worked for almost 2 years. Lucked into someone I knew selling a complete Magnaflow exhaust with what ended up to be a Cobalt style header. After installing I found out why he went back to stock exhaust on his dd. It's kinda loud although it did increase throttle response. Autocross/weekend car so doesn't really matter as long as it meets sound. Couldn't break the rusted nuts on the down-pipe and steering shaft interfered with getting it out, ended up cutting it so unusable, mid-pipe is cracked at resonator outlet so not usable. Stock muffler is usable along with stock exhaust manifold. Also still have the small Magnaflow muffler.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
2/5/17 9:49 p.m.

In reply to wlkelley3:

Alabama? Might be pricy to ship it.

I have a potential idea/solution I am going to try out this week hopefully. We'll see how it goes!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
2/6/17 12:02 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote: In reply to wlkelley3: Alabama? Might be pricy to ship it. I have a potential idea/solution I am going to try out this week hopefully. We'll see how it goes!

OK, No worries. Figured that myself.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7aKfPqb6EE7zyvkow4mQWRhTS9jx6xGhoXOXNTmMQ3vIMsK0H2E8TNkjEbJCzxqS