1 2
Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 6:29 a.m.

Picked this baby up for a song yesterday. 2001 Saab 9-5 Wagon...5spd!! 115k miles, the guy I bought it from has owned it since 2003.

The downside is that it was hit in the left rear and is going to need a little work. As it is now the hatch seals completely and all the lights work, just doesn't look the greatest.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/4/13 6:34 a.m.

Wow, that looks like an expensive hit. Would that hit have totaled it? Does the repair cost (at retail) exceed the value of the car?

Cool cars. A couple years back I had been considering buying one.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 6:40 a.m.

Not sure if it would have been totaled or not, I am not going to remove the whole fender piece and replace it.

A new lift gate, taillight, bumper cover along with some creative bending/pulling to get it back in shape. Its just going to be a daily beater to get back and forth to work so I don't mind if its not the prettiest thing on the road

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/4/13 7:14 a.m.

Eh, just show the first photo only, you're good to go.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 7:24 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Eh, just show the first photo only, you're good to go.

haha thats what my wife said, just keep it backed into the driveway lol.

Even with the damage, its drives and rides significantly nicer than my previous car, and it keeps my string of not having a car payment going!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/4/13 7:29 a.m.

they are great cars.. love the 5speed/wagon combo

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
10/4/13 8:04 a.m.

Is it a V6? SAAB 2.3s use chains not a belt. Also if they did do the chain, did they do the balance shafts chains? They seem to wear faster than the timing chain.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 8:06 a.m.

2.3t

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/4/13 8:22 a.m.

Nice car! I just sold the exact same thing, an '01 9-5 wagon, 5spd. They're great daily drivers. Nice old pseudo luxury/sporty wagon.

Yes, that hit would have totalled the car for sure. But if you can get it back to decent condition yourself, fantastic.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
10/4/13 8:28 a.m.

I had a 1999 sedan with a 5-speed and it was a great car. I think your idea of a creative beating to close to staight and some color matched paint is all you could do to that and not end up putting more than it is worth. great score for a cheap fun to drive daily.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 8:30 a.m.
cdowd wrote: I had a 1999 sedan with a 5-speed and it was a great car. I think your idea of a creative beating to close to staight and some color matched paint is all you could do to that and not end up putting more than it is worth. great score for a cheap fun to drive daily.

Yeah I don't want to put a lot of $$ into it, just a comfy beater for slogging to work and back. Once we pay off my wife's car I'll get something nicer, and newer, and more powerful

Hoop
Hoop SuperDork
10/4/13 8:33 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5BxcKtj6c

Because I am sure this will be helpful.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/4/13 8:34 a.m.
Hoop wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5BxcKtj6c Because I am sure this will be helpful.

lol thanks. For now at least, all that stuff works...

Markde
Markde New Reader
10/4/13 9:02 a.m.

Nice, I had to do a similar repair on the girlfriends volvo 850 after it rolled down a hillside into a tree.

Honestly looks like a fairly easy fix for a beater, enjoy.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/7/13 7:48 a.m.

Congrats on the purchase! The manual wagons are fun.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
10/7/13 8:10 a.m.

Parts can be unobtanium, especially lights, so good luck.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
10/7/13 8:50 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Here we go again.

Anyway, nice car. I tried very hard to talk my wife into a wagon when we got our sedan. by the way power is just a turbo and ECU flash away.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/7/13 8:53 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Parts can be unobtanium, especially lights, so good luck.

It's 12-13 years old. The aftermarket has taken care of pretty much everything for this car about.... 8-10 years ago. I like it when people perpetuate this myth though, keeps these cars stupid cheap.

Markde
Markde New Reader
10/7/13 8:55 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I love the prices on these cars, honestly one of the nicest overall drivers for the $ around here.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/7/13 9:24 a.m.

The harder to find lights are the last years with the projector beams due to the short number of years offered and slow sales in those years which means fewer models in JYs. You will have no problem finding these lights which were popular and offered in years with higher sales numbers.

But yes, keep up the myth of unavailability if that keeps the prices down.
True, there are years that I would never own. That being the last redesign of the 9-5. A last ditch effort that failed. A car offered for only one year before the folding of the company and a car with nearly 100% unique parts resulting in little to no support or aftermarket supply chain.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
10/7/13 9:27 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The harder to find lights are the last years with the projector beams due to the short number of years offered and slow sales in those years which means fewer models in JYs. You will have no problem finding these lights which were popular and offered in years with higher sales numbers. But yes, keep up the myth of unavailability if that keeps the prices down. True, there are years that I would never own. That being the last redesign of the 9-5. A last ditch effort that failed. A car offered for only one year before the folding of the company and a car with nearly 100% unique parts resulting in little to no support or aftermarket supply chain.

^^^ This is 100% correct.

To OP, nice find. You can make it go quite a bit quicker with nothing but a cheap or even DIY tune if you feel so inclined, and you can go REALLY quick with a few bolt-ons.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
10/7/13 11:11 a.m.

Nice get! I'm guessing well below challenge price?

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
10/7/13 11:38 a.m.

No one has suggested a SAAB-amino yet??

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
10/7/13 12:04 p.m.

mmmmmmm..... saabamino......

with added boost.........

Storz
Storz HalfDork
10/8/13 10:06 a.m.
EvanR wrote: No one has suggested a SAAB-amino yet??

Do tell...SAAB-amino?

Pulled the hatch off last weekend and got it fitting flush again, also pulled out some of the crunched in bits and pieces. Got a line on a set of lights.

Work in progress

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jJLRv9W3i88jIp2KKCMq36RZ0O5lHcm7aMwW4KBVuTM7O6mhK14QUnfHFdsOCBo3