vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/7/23 6:49 p.m.

I need your help. I need to replace the forward mounting bracket on a fiberglass leaf spring equipped Astro van. It's not the same as the steel leaf spring vans. I've posted on the AstroSafari forum to no avail. They all shout, "convert to steel." Problem is the conversions use the same mount with an over-sized bushing around the spring end. Unless I get an entire set up out of a van that is already a steel spring setup. 

Anyone near a Pull-a-Part with an Astro or Safari in the yard? You can pull the passenger side since they're the same on either and the fuel tank is in the way on the driver side. Four nuts to release the spring. Two large bolts to release the bracket. 

I can send some nice micro brew from Vermont (most micro breweries per capita) or real Vermont Maple Syrup (VT sells more gallons than all the states combined!) in addition to the cost of the part and shipping as a thank you.

It's the thing at the top left in the image with the bolt hovering over it.

Thanks

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/7/23 6:52 p.m.

Got a year range?  Way to tell if it's a fiberglass or steel without looking in person?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/7/23 7:20 p.m.

Give me a specific year range and I'll look while I'm in the Pull-A-Part tomorrow

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/7/23 7:47 p.m.
JY_Rat
JY_Rat New Reader
7/7/23 10:32 p.m.

One of my local favorite yards has a 2000 Astro that arrive a few weeks ago. If no one hooks you up this weekend, I will go and snatch this bracket up for you on Monday.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/8/23 12:01 a.m.

What years can we look for?

And how to know it's the right one?

Im down. Just shipped something off to Canada for a Volvo guy on here this sweek

7/8/23 9:45 a.m.

Anything up to about the late nineties. Not sure when they did away with the fiberglass leafs altogether. Looks like up to 95.

Only way I know to know is by looking. Sorry. Generally if it was a passenger vehicle it had the fiberglass. Cargos and later models seemed to get the steel springs.

7/8/23 9:47 a.m.
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) said:

Would these work?

https://www.journeysoffroad.com/store/p10/AS-SPHNG.html

Those are nice but for the metal springs which have an eye on the end for a bolt to go thru. The fiberglass slip into a clamshell type pocket.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/8/23 12:04 p.m.

Both were steel springs here. Sorry

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
7/8/23 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Where did you go? I ask because youre sort of close to me

Dusterbd13-michael
7/8/23 1:14 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

Winston pullapart 

Struck out on my stuff too. So im going to have to go to Charlotte.....

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/8/23 6:22 p.m.

There's one 95 in one of my yards here.  Probably next weekend until I can get there.  Standard or metric sockets?  Something I can hit with an impact real quick?

7/8/23 10:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

There's one 95 in one of my yards here.  Probably next weekend until I can get there.  Standard or metric sockets?  Something I can hit with an impact real quick?

You would think I could remember something I just did a week ago. Ill have to go out and check.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/8/23 11:20 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I always use the excuse that I did a lot of drugs in my youth.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE UltraDork
7/9/23 10:24 a.m.

My local yard in Omaha has a 1999, 2000, and 2005.

JY_Rat
JY_Rat New Reader
7/9/23 6:23 p.m.

I got my eye on this '95 at one of my local yards (the least favorite of mine - but to do a GRM good deed, I will try to bite the bullet)

OP, how urgently do you need this bracket?

7/9/23 8:34 p.m.
JY_Rat said:

I got my eye on this '95 at one of my local yards (the least favorite of mine - but to do a GRM good deed, I will try to bite the bullet)

OP, how urgently do you need this bracket?

At your convenience. It's not going anywhere at the moment seeing as how the front of the engine is disassembled.

JY_Rat
JY_Rat New Reader
7/9/23 9:55 p.m.

Got it. I'll still try to snatch it in the next day or two.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 New Reader
7/10/23 7:07 a.m.

OP, if you look at the U pull yards around York, PA and find your car there.  I'd be happy to take a look.  Baughmans and eichelburgers u pull yards.  Check their online inventory and lmk

JY_Rat
JY_Rat New Reader
7/10/23 3:21 p.m.

OP,

Can you verify that this is the part you want? I went and pulled the part at the yard today, but Im a dumbass and didnt bring it home. I know exactly where I left it and I can swing by real quick at the yard tomorrow and grab it if its in fact what you need.

This guy:

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/10/23 3:56 p.m.
JY_Rat said:

OP,

Can you verify that this is the part you want? I went and pulled the part at the yard today, but Im a dumbass and didnt bring it home. I know exactly where I left it and I can swing by real quick at the yard tomorrow and grab it if its in fact what you need.

This guy:

I believe he spoke that the part he needed had to be off a van with fiberglass leaf springs.

7/16/23 12:28 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
JY_Rat said:

OP,

This guy:

I believe he spoke that the part he needed had to be off a van with fiberglass leaf springs.

Sorry, no. That is not the correct part for a fiberglass spring.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/16/23 1:22 p.m.

I'm eating lunch then heading to the yard afterwards. 

7/16/23 2:24 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'm eating lunch then heading to the yard afterwards. 

Keep me posted!

Cell eight oh too 9eight9 sixoneeightseven

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/16/23 2:45 p.m.

All of them here were steel.  The search continues.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZDtAEBM2MkSMVDdKXYeGmj519owFmJsTcT8duudi9Bpi0AqoMWX9KkaaCl8NKqW