5speedguy
5speedguy None
8/16/08 12:28 p.m.

I'm looking for the best, yet least expensive, light weight aluminum jack and portable impact driver for both garage use and track use (HPDE's only). I want a jack with a high lift capability and a portable impact driver that is strong enough to remove wheel lugnuts at the track. And since we are all "grassroots," cost is important. Any thoughts?

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/16/08 11:20 p.m.

Miata...oh, not that kind of recomendation.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91039

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

for the impact driver, walmart has an electric one that can run off of either the 12v out let, or strait off the battery. IIRC its in the ball park off $50

laz
laz New Reader
8/17/08 1:03 a.m.

Unless harbor freight is having a sale, the aluminum race jack at costco is higher quality than the HF 3k lb jack. The 4k lb HF jack is closer to the costco jack quality, and it weighs less... but again, sale is key. Either way, these jacks are cheap, light, and are prone to break. The saddles like to crack, so avoid jacking with the edge of the saddle. Never ever ever get under a car without a jackstand or two at the minimum.

If you want cordless impact, the goodyear 24v cordless impact from pep boys gets good reviews for a cheapie (it goes on sale periodically). I had the HF 18V cordless and it was okay, but not great. It lasted about 1yr of twice monthly use.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
8/17/08 7:39 a.m.

I use a 2-ton steel Craftsman jack for track duty. It's a little on the heavy side, but is very compact. When I pack for the track it fits in the rear driver's side floorboard (i.e., right behind my seat). I bought it about 5 years ago for $99 bucks with a pair of jack stands.

I have the old style HF cordless impact. Supposedly the new one isn't any good. (There was a thread back in the old board, but I can't find it.) Mine has lasted almost five years of use every 2-3 months.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
8/17/08 8:36 a.m.

From a weight perspective, I've always thought one of those air-bag jacks would take the cake.

And I'll bet someone could build one at a more GRM price. Since you would then need air to run it, you could just use an air compressor and pneumatic impact wrench. I think the difference in cost between a cheap used air wrench and a new cordless impact would make the whole works close to cost effective.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
8/17/08 12:32 p.m.

While at the Nascar race at Lime Rock I noticed that some of the teams were using the US General jack same as mine. They also were using cordless impacts, but not for pit stops.

5speedguy
5speedguy New Reader
8/18/08 11:02 a.m.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. I'm going to look around and see which one(s) I can find. I DO appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/18/08 1:36 p.m.

it looks like someone doesn't want you deep linking their images, oldopelguy.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
8/18/08 3:41 p.m.

Fixed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o9rtGtlvDFhIMV2IzOb481QjO2CwCOha3aqRwlfdl298S6hHhOGhTlaF78ACblxN