1 2 3
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltraDork
2/16/13 8:59 p.m.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2014-chevrolet-ss-aussie-built-nascar-races-america-050213874.html

The civilian Impala we've been waiting for. Looks great, except the front bumper. Seems like someone stole it off an Audi and grafted it on....poorly.

LS power and of course, no manual trans option

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/16/13 9:28 p.m.

Powered by a version of the LS3 6.2-liter V-8 in the current Corvette, the SS will spring to 60 mph in less than five seconds thanks to 415 lb.-ft. of torque turning a six-speed automatic transmission. Based on the chassis that underpins the Camaro, the SS boasts several high-performance attributes — a 50/50 weight split front-to-rear, electronic suspension controls shared with the Camaro and Corvette and Bridgestone high-performance tires also found on the Ferrari California. The result, according to Chevy execs, is a five-passenger sedan with a luxury-car interior that can pull 0.9 gs of cornering force.

I wouldn't necessarily kick it out of the driveway though . There were so many directions they could have taken this but at 5K units/ year it's seems typical GM... carefully get your feet wet/ wait and see.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
2/16/13 11:10 p.m.

perhaps when/if it sells like hotcakes there will be a six speed MANUAL option???=]
It's still very interesting and a whole hell of a lot better than 'yota's NASCAR program, which chevy could have just as easily continued to do (fwd car raced as a rwd pseudo-silhouette tube frame car)

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/16/13 11:21 p.m.

GM has been 'everybody really needs an auto trans' since Roger B. Smith days.

C'mon man

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/17/13 3:02 a.m.

Still want to know what the souped up version will be called? The SS SS? Cool car, weak sauce name.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
2/17/13 7:29 a.m.

(SS)^2

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/17/13 7:45 a.m.

SS GT?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
2/17/13 7:47 a.m.

Ugh that front bumper It really looks like the side vents were sawzalled out of an Audi and fiberglassed onto this. Front grille looks similarly hacked-on and looks like it came from a Mazda or Hyundai. At least the plastic piece in the middle kills the hot new "filter-feeding fish" look it could have had.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/17/13 7:55 a.m.

I think the 5000 thing is the right choice. At that level it's a halo vehicle so the don't really need to worry about making money on them. They don't need a manual option because there are 5000 guys who would rather have the auto. These same guys will be rabid about the car and will probably say only good things about it.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
2/17/13 8:14 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I think the 5000 thing is the right choice. At that level it's a halo vehicle so the don't really need to worry about making money on them. They don't need a manual option because there are 5000 guys who would rather have the auto. These same guys will be rabid about the car and will probably say only good things about it.

Yep. The '95-'96 Impala SS was auto only as well. It's been almost two decades since that model launched, and there hasn't been a big rwd V8 Chevy sedan since, so I'm sure it'll find it's needed share of buyers.

The closest thing (G8) wore a dying badge (Pontiac), and launched into a perfect storm of the carpocalypse, and since then the resale of those has held up insanely well.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
2/17/13 8:19 a.m.

I'm glad they're building it just the way it is. Big powerful V8, rear drive, auto trans. Just wish it looked more like an American Chevy and less like the aussie Holden - it needs to be more muscular, or square, or something. As it is, it kinda just blends into a crowd.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
2/17/13 8:35 a.m.

that bumper still looks way better than the police issued caprices.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/17/13 2:16 p.m.

Wait, so they have the CTSV and have decided they need another rwd luxury cruiser with lots of power?

Doesn't compute. GM is being stupid again and saturating their own market.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
2/17/13 2:27 p.m.

Have you seen the $$$$ for a CTSV? I am hoping that with a Chev label it will be a bit more affordable.

Pat
Pat Reader
2/17/13 2:54 p.m.

This is not even in the same ballpark as a CTS-V, neither in power or price. Completely different car.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
2/17/13 2:59 p.m.

I just hope that this works out better than the police package cars. None have been delivered to the THP and my local department passed due to parts and maintenance concerns. The SS could be a bastard car real fast.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
2/17/13 3:53 p.m.
corytate wrote: perhaps when/if it sells like hotcakes there will be a six speed MANUAL option???=]

Nobody who wants a manual in a car like this actually ever buys a new car. I have come to realize this is a sad but true fact. It's no wonder that manufacturers drop the manual option. It's only the buzz they get from the very idea of Cadillac offering a manual trans that keeps the 6-speed CTS-V in production.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/17/13 4:07 p.m.

Its not like the manual is a problem, they make them with a 6 speed downunder, I am hoping that a few manual cars will drift up here if the initial 5000 sell well.

I would be interested in a manual for my next new car.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
2/17/13 4:52 p.m.

I watched the Chevy pavillion closely at the 24 in the hope of spotting an SS or a C7 (this was before I read the SS was scheduled to debut at the 500). Walking out to the grandstands I was excited to spot the profile of an SS near the west horseshoe. Nope. As I drew closer the bigassed sedan revealed itself to be the latest full-sized Audi.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/18/13 1:53 a.m.
Duke wrote:
corytate wrote: perhaps when/if it sells like hotcakes there will be a six speed MANUAL option???=]
Nobody who wants a manual in a car like this actually ever buys a new car. I have come to realize this is a sad but true fact. It's no wonder that manufacturers drop the manual option. It's only the buzz they get from the very idea of Cadillac offering a manual trans that keeps the 6-speed CTS-V in production.

they also don't like manual transmissions because they are actually getting better fuel economy and emissions ratings with an auto trans that is shifted by the computer than they are with a manual trans that's shifted by a human. add in the extra cost and complexity from having manual and auto transmissions as options when only a small percentage of buyers will choose the manual option, then it's a no brainer from a corporate standpoint to move towards autos for everyone.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/18/13 2:00 a.m.

the SS six-speed auto can be paddle-shifted. well now

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
2/18/13 2:34 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: the SS six-speed auto can be paddle-shifted. well now

uggh.. flappy paddle shifters..

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/18/13 3:06 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
fasted58 wrote: the SS six-speed auto can be paddle-shifted. well now
uggh.. flappy paddle shifters..

tough crowd

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/18/13 7:00 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Still want to know what the souped up version will be called? The SS SS? Cool car, weak sauce name.

Chevrolet SSR?

Oh, wait...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/18/13 7:14 a.m.

Its a step in the right direction.

Gators gonna gate...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CJw3Lptbi3SzcA0pCid3slXtMqulN8HiaVYCFkOOrAkszXlgq5f4bjnrXWHbi2M5