1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
4/12/12 12:41 p.m.
J Block wrote: Testing 123, check, check, check. Lets start with my favorite car (aka the blue money pit) I actualy drive it once a week, weather permitting.

Not only is that awesome, I have a ton of respect for you driving it weekly, instead of stuffing it in a trailer or garage. Welcome!

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
4/12/12 12:56 p.m.
J Block wrote: Hint: notice the little fin between where the nose attaches and where the shock cover fits? That totally gives it away

Hopefully someone with more open-wheel knowledge will pipe in, but I'm at a loss... Anything with a carbon fiber tub is going to be on the high side of grassroots for this crowd

Welcome to the forum!

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
4/12/12 1:10 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Maybe I'm wrong, but this feels frighteningly similar to a small boat that is powered by paddles....

A chalupa?

I Am Keyser Söze
I Am Keyser Söze SuperDork
4/12/12 1:21 p.m.

Engineer with a BA...That's rare or not an engineering degree.

Block what was your BA in back in 77 at the University of New Mexico?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
4/12/12 1:25 p.m.
J Block wrote: Testing 123, check, check, check. Lets start with my favorite car (aka the blue money pit) I actualy drive it once a week, weather permitting.

Legitimate enough for me!! Is that a Model A (I know practically nothing about pre-war domestics)?

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/12/12 1:27 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Not only is that awesome, I have a ton of respect for you driving it weekly, instead of stuffing it in a trailer or garage. Welcome!

Thanks. I told my wife, "This ain't no trailer queen, it's a driver, get in lets go!"

It was my dad's project until he got to frail to work on it and he gave it to me 6 or 7 years ago. I've worked on it enough that I'm past the 1 to 1 ratio, you know work on it an hour so you can drive it for an hour

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/12/12 1:42 p.m.
I Am Keyser Söze wrote: Engineer with a BA...That's rare or not an engineering degree. Block what was your BA in back in 77 at the University of New Mexico?

Long story... In those days the car companies were wanting people with architecture degrees because the said they were beter designers. So I was doing both architecture and engineering. Was starving as a student and closer to the finishing the architecture degree so I did it first. As soon as I got the degree, moved to California and 3 days later I was hired by an engineering firm. Studied a bit more engineering, took the old national EIT exam, registered with the state and completed the intern requirements. Never took the PE exam, at that point I was so deep in racing that a PE really didn't mean much and now you know the rest of the story.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/12/12 2:46 p.m.

I'm still curious about that cf tub, but I too am at a total loss.

Oh, and welcome!

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/12/12 2:46 p.m.

Isn't it funny how, back in the day, employers were more concerned with if you could do the job than what University you were in debt to.

Oh Yeah! Welcome to GRM.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
4/12/12 3:03 p.m.
J Block wrote: Okay, now I've got it. A coke and piece of pie to the first person to correctly identify the make and model of this car.

Based on the cap to the left, I will say 2001 Ford F-150.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
4/12/12 3:03 p.m.
J Block wrote: Okay, now I've got it. A coke and piece of pie to the first person to correctly identify the make and model of this car.

Based on the cap to the left, I will say 2001 Ford F-150.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/12/12 3:36 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

So funny you had to say it twice?

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/12/12 4:41 p.m.

Here's another hint on the tub:

This one was originally built in '05 and the photo is from a repair in '08, but this model is still in use today.

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/13/12 12:18 p.m.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ! That means time is up! It was close but nobody got the pie.

The correct answer is: a Dallara open wheel racer. Originaly designed with a mono shock for use in Europe and converted by Dallara to double shock for current use in the Indy Lights series, today

Like This game?

We can do it again and call it "What is this car?"

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
4/13/12 12:37 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Some kind of Indy Lights car? It looks like maybe a mid-80s March? I am not that familiar but they had that swale you can see behind the damper openings.

That answer is close, maybe just the Coke?

stan
stan SuperDork
4/13/12 2:53 p.m.

Welcome.

Keep it stock (-ish) and I'll bet you that coke and pie we won't be stumped playing "What car ...?".

Stan

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/13/12 4:40 p.m.

Okay, no pie but the coke

Watch for a new topic called What's this car and the next one will be "stockish"

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/13/12 4:53 p.m.
J Block wrote: Hey Mazdeuce, glad to comment on what you post. Heck feel free to email me if you have a specific question.

Thanks for the offer, I will almost assuredly want to pick your brain at some point. I did get things hooked up and reading and recording data from the OBDII port last night after a few false starts. I was a geophycist in a previous life so I'm not exactly a stranger to the art of making sense of strings of numbers, but until I get some data sets recorded that I can compare, it's all just squiggly lines. I'm really looking forward to this project. Any recommended books right off the top of your head?

cwh
cwh UberDork
4/13/12 4:59 p.m.

Hey, wait a minute!! I posted the pic of Jane in the Cobra a few minutes ago, didn't I? Yeah, it took a bit of figuring out before, but I'm a PRO!! now!

Chuck

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/13/12 5:00 p.m.

There are plenty of books. I would suggest: 1) Buddy Fey's book if you can find one 2) Making sense of squiggly lines 3) A practical guide to race car data analysis 4) Analysis techniques for race car data acquisition

The books might be a stout to start with, but all the info you likely need is in there.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/13/12 5:18 p.m.

Thank you very much for the list. I ordered A Practical Guide To Race Car Data Analysis last week and it should be on the truck on it way. I'm pretty excited about that book. I'll add the others to my list and try to get them at a cost rate that doesn't freak my wife out.

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/13/12 6:37 p.m.

What's this car round 2 is a new topic. Take a stab

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sZNAwLJki2v0pTCDOY6mDOCqdFqw3SrTdvJ6MEiVmTbzVFd17DGLLAxf3Xt961Tz