1 2
Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
2/4/15 9:09 a.m.

They led off with weight, and have released every spec but weight. I'm not screaming the sky is falling at 155hp, yet. Proof is in the pudding...roll one of those things across the scales. If it's geared short enough and light enough, it'll be a riot. At 155hp, every pound counts. You'll feel the difference between half a tank and a full tank of gas...or maybe even between meals.

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
2/4/15 10:03 a.m.

heaven forbid you have to row the gears opposed to letting the torque iin 3rd and 4th gear carry you everywhere in life. As long as Keith can work some magic with it everything will be ok.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/4/15 11:16 a.m.

I was much more enthused when they were talking about a 1.2l turbo engine.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/4/15 11:59 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: heaven forbid you have to row the gears opposed to letting the torque iin 3rd and 4th gear carry you everywhere in life. As long as Keith can work some magic with it everything will be ok.

And other venders like Fast Forward Superchargers.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/4/15 12:06 p.m.

The picture that is emerging to me is a car that is smaller and lighter than the NC its replacing. The overall size and weight are will be fairly close to original NA. The early driving reviews are that it feels very much like NA. The prices, adjusted for inflation, may very well be in the same ball park as the original.

If this all happens, I think is a really great achievement. Think about how much safety, emission, and efficiency regulations have increase world wide. Everyone on this board that has ever lamented about how the car companies keep making everything bigger and heavier should be applauding. It looks like you are getting your wish.

As far the horsepower numbers, my 1.6 2300 pound NA may have as much 115 horsepower at the flywheel. It puts a big smile on my face when I go to an autocross or drive it with the top down. You don't have to dig far into the archives of this board to find people extoling the fun of driving a slow car fast.

I am looking forward being able to sit in and test drive an ND. It not may not be everything I ever wanted in a sports car. If it delivers the smiles-per-hour and smiles-per-gallon I have gotten from my current car, I will be seriously looking at buying one.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
2/4/15 12:54 p.m.
Type Q wrote: As far the horsepower numbers, my 1.6 2300 pound NA may have as much 115 horsepower at the flywheel. It puts a big smile on my face when I go to an autocross or drive it with the top down. You don't have to dig far into the archives of this board to find people extolling the fun of driving a slow car fast. I am looking forward being able to sit in and test drive an ND. It not may not be everything I ever wanted in a sports car. If it delivers the smiles-per-hour and smiles-per-gallon I have gotten from my current car, I will be seriously looking at buying one.

This^^^ 100%

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
2/4/15 1:00 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: 155hp? Given the 2014 spec's out a 167hp 2.0..... That damn thing should be at least 200hp....

yeah this has me bothersome. Or it will be like the mazda 2. HP rated at 100 and it dynos at like 92-95whp. Maybe its rated at 155hp and dynos at 150whp? sandbaggers...

rotorglow
rotorglow New Reader
2/6/15 11:40 a.m.

Late to the party, but all of you comparing this engine to the SR20DE really need to ditch the rose-colored glasses and read up on some things. The SR20DE was listed at 140hp and 132 lb-ft of torque. The Skyactiv 2.0 is 155 hp, 150 lb-ft (peaking 800 rpm lower than the SR20DE, and probably producing more everywhere overall).

SR20DE cams got smaller through the 90s for emissions reasons.

That's (variously) a 10+% improvement, with 15% better emissions and 15% better economy. Sounds pretty great to me.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/6/15 12:32 p.m.
rotorglow wrote: Late to the party, but all of you comparing this engine to the SR20DE really need to ditch the rose-colored glasses and read up on some things. The SR20DE was listed at 140hp and 132 lb-ft of torque. The Skyactiv 2.0 is 155 hp, 150 lb-ft (peaking 800 rpm lower than the SR20DE, and probably producing more everywhere overall). SR20DE cams got smaller through the 90s for emissions reasons. That's (variously) a 10+% improvement, with 15% better emissions and 15% better economy. Sounds pretty great to me.

Even more so if they actually do lower the weight, height, and make it more of a sports car again than the NC. I've always considered the NC a GT Car. Nothing against a GT Car, it's just not what I think a Miata should be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0wRXmtWQtBVE3i2VrVdWU4zVSTMcKXFmEHKjGgW5jQyaEKWyGkehs2p2kHst8T1t