1 2 3
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/21/10 11:31 a.m.

Am I the only person who sees the "consfiscation" part as the main issue? If they want to outlaw nitrous oxide, outlaw nitrous oxide, but incentivizing cops to confiscate private property for the sake of collecting state/local revenue is berkeleying ridiculous.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/10 11:50 a.m.

I am starting to see a need for civilian cars to have a video system similar to the police cars.

The small town cops around here will abuse this, they already have too much time to basically roust any kid who crosses their path.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
1/21/10 11:55 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I am starting to see a need for civilian cars to have a video system similar to the police cars. The small town cops around here will abuse this, they already have too much time to basically roust any kid who crosses their path.

This can get you in major trouble in two party consent states. I know that cops were arresting and charging citizens with illegal wiretapping for recording there antics on cell phones.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/10 11:58 a.m.

Not if it is openly displayed, if both parties are aware of the recording it is legal

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
1/21/10 1:11 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I am starting to see a need for civilian cars to have a video system similar to the police cars. The small town cops around here will abuse this, they already have too much time to basically roust any kid who crosses their path.

Me too Buddy! Been thinking about for a long time.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
1/21/10 2:20 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Am I the only person who sees the "consfiscation" part as the main issue? If they want to outlaw nitrous oxide, outlaw nitrous oxide, but incentivizing cops to confiscate private property for the sake of collecting state/local revenue is berkeleying ridiculous.

Unfortunately there is precedent, the drug forfeiture law. LE would target the largest busts to get the most buck. Many of those cases were not prosecuted because they would not have held up in court, but that was not LE's interest at the time.

jrtech
jrtech New Reader
1/24/10 3:21 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up! Reposted to Corral.net forum.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
1/24/10 3:34 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Am I the only person who sees the "consfiscation" part as the main issue? If they want to outlaw nitrous oxide, outlaw nitrous oxide, but incentivizing cops to confiscate private property for the sake of collecting state/local revenue is berkeleying ridiculous.

You're definitely not the only one. I'm very wary of giving this sort of power to even well-intentioned government employees who don't have quotas to fill, especially when there is no court oversight or proper judicial review of anything like that.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
1/24/10 5:28 p.m.

We've been doing this for decades. Read up on the illustrious "war on drugs". Confiscation run rampant.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/24/10 7:31 p.m.

I can also see the street racers running LeMons style cars without safety items, with Nitrous, that way if they get busted the value is only a few hundred $. Downside, you and I are going to be sharing the streets with these deathtraps.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
1/24/10 7:38 p.m.

GA just enacted their "super speeder" laws 1 Jan 10. Hughe increase in fines and hard enforcement. I was stopped, and ticketed, for the first time in over 25 years in a small GA town towing to Sebring on 1 Jan 2010 @ 0700. The 4 lane divided highway at 35 mph surprised me - I thought I was 10 under the limit - I was wrong. In the end they just wanted their money. Ohio will be the same.

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/24/10 8:57 p.m.

I'll be driving south on 95 wed... looks like I should probably try to contain my tendencies to trust my Valentine One quite as much as in the past... maybe spend a little more time in the right hand lane, making sure there are plenty of faster cars continuously passing me...

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
1/24/10 9:33 p.m.

This is outright insanity! The wording is so open that this will hopefully get laughed right out of town. But if it does get voted in I see nothing but problems. More nonsense clogging the legal system as people have to fight to keep their cars and licenses!

footinmouth
footinmouth New Reader
1/25/10 5:19 a.m.

When a form has to be filled out use 1060 West Addison .

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/25/10 8:02 a.m.

Motoring in my native Australia was ruined by these laws, now there is zero tolerance, if you go 1kph over the posted limit you get a big fine, the driving experience in Oz is just trying to not be seen or photographed.

Steve

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
1/25/10 8:16 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Motoring in my native Australia was ruined by these laws, now there is zero tolerance, if you go 1kph over the posted limit you get a big fine, the driving experience in Oz is just trying to not be seen or photographed.

Much like the UK then - there isn't many traffic police around anymore, but cameras everywhere. So everybody's constantly on the lookout for cameras and slows down to ridiculous speeds when they spot one. I've seen it often enough that someone spots a camera, obviously can't remember that they're in a 50 zone (nonwithstanding the fact that they've just passed a sign) so they slam on the anchors and slow down to 25mph. Great traffic safety improvement, that.

And that's before you get to average speed cameras that can measure your average speed over 10+ miles and then send you a bill, sorry, ticket for it. Nice side effect, your cars movements at this point are obviously traceable.

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
1/26/10 12:33 p.m.

Just wait until a LEO is having a bad day and writes you up on one of these tickets. I'm sure every person on this board has had at least 1 LEO tell them "you almost wiped out around that corner" story. Laws like this are dangerous and interfere with our property rights. If a LEO's opinion can have our property confiscated without due process, it's clearly against the founding fathers intent.

Prosecute the crime, but we are innocent until proven guilty.

Is "streetracing" such a horrible crime? Don't dumb kids always find ways to take themselves out anyway?

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
1/26/10 1:02 p.m.
footinmouth wrote: When a form has to be filled out use 1060 West Addison .

That's Wrigley Field.

As long as the Nazis don't monitor the state, county, and local police on their CB radios, you'll be fine.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/26/10 4:18 p.m.
loudes13 wrote: ...Laws like this are dangerous and interfere with our property rights. If a LEO's opinion can have our property confiscated without due process, it's clearly against the founding fathers intent. Prosecute the crime, but we are innocent until proven guilty.

I believe the the forth amendment says we should be free of unreasonable search and seizure. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/26/10 4:18 p.m.

Double post. Sorry

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/26/10 4:35 p.m.
loudes13 wrote: Is "streetracing" such a horrible crime? Don't dumb kids always find ways to take themselves out anyway?

ya I'd say it is since as often as not they take out one of us old farts that just happen to be on the same road at just the wrong time...

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
1/26/10 5:48 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
loudes13 wrote: Is "streetracing" such a horrible crime? Don't dumb kids always find ways to take themselves out anyway?
ya I'd say it is since as often as not they take out one of us old farts that just happen to be on the same road at just the wrong time...

Statistically that's false.

Single vehicle accidents FAR out rank multiple vehicle collisions when reckless driving, racing, or extreme speeding is involved.

When you were 16, did you drive crazy on main street or out in the boonies?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/26/10 6:27 p.m.

Yet the texting goes on unabated

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
1/26/10 7:00 p.m.
loudes13 wrote:
wbjones wrote:
Statistically that's false. Single vehicle accidents FAR out rank multiple vehicle collisions when reckless driving, racing, or extreme speeding is involved. When you were 16, did you drive crazy on main street or out in the boonies?

you may well be right ... statistically... but when a couple of street racers plow into a large crowd, be they spectators or non involved bystanders then yes "streetracing" is truly a horrible crime..

and yes I did most of my dumb a$$ driving stunts out in the boonies... and in my case it was usually by myself... thank heavens there never was a car coming around that blind curve while I was trying to learn to control my car while doing stupid things..

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/26/10 7:12 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Motoring in my native Australia was ruined by these laws, now there is zero tolerance, if you go 1kph over the posted limit you get a big fine, the driving experience in Oz is just trying to not be seen or photographed. Steve

So true. When I visited last summer, I was amazed at how long it took to get around. Everyone drove 5 kmh under the limit, and when there was an on-ramp merging it got even slower because everyone was scared of the throttle.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
41fKN0Xcl9iZIJK5gWWDNXeUmDu2xee3jBb5g0y2Vf1QtgW1k4fuypeqBnaBkGGM