2 3 4
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
11/12/09 11:09 a.m.

He mentioned his FD isn't running right now and it's too expensive for him to insure. I get out of this that he wants a cool jap car w/low insurance rates and no loss of manlyness. Yeah right....

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
11/12/09 12:26 p.m.

Dude just buy a beater until you can get your FD fixed and insured!

Hey if you want something fun and dirt cheap to hold you over, get an AE92 (like mine). They're not especially fast in a straight line but they're agile and have manly styling (although the US models come with bench bumpers). They're decent DDs if you don't have to deal with rough roads and they're good on gas.

If you want to spend a little more, go for a 180SX. You could keep it as a drift car so you don't have to risk your FD, and you could set up your FD as a track/autocross car, or azn girl magnet

BTW that black Miata is ULTRA BADASS!

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
11/12/09 1:00 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: The Civic or Integra are far better cars then the Predule.

Perhaps you'd be right if it were a track-only car, where the civc/integra's lower weight and ability to accept a variety of powerplants makes the prelude seem just too heavy. However, they rock as daily drivers. They feel more comfortable imho, and the H22 engine is a good bit bigger and has more torque than the B18Cx. You just don't have to wind it out all the time like the 1.8l engines. Also, despite my rantings on their porkyness they hide their weight well due to a relatively low and wide chassis (shorter than an integra). The one daily driver strike against them is their joke of a back seat. Both my integras and my EG hatch had waaay more interior room.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
11/12/09 1:55 p.m.

I wasn't impressed with the Preludes I have been in. A K-series swap EG/EK Civic would be my ideal Daily Driver and toy as far as Hondas go but I don't know how swaps work over there.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Reader
11/12/09 3:12 p.m.

They work the same as in the US inasmuch as you take one engine out and put a bigger one in . Somewhat more seriously, the UK has fairly liberal laws when it comes to engine swaps and modifications in general compared to a lot of other EU countries. Heck, in Belgium you're not allowed to do anything to your road car's engine that would improve performance.

That said, the insurance man is going to have wet dreams if someone with no insurance history like Zman is trying to insure something like that.

Matt B
Matt B New Reader
11/12/09 4:38 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: I wasn't impressed with the Preludes I have been in. A K-series swap EG/EK Civic would be my ideal Daily Driver and toy as far as Hondas go but I don't know how swaps work over there.

Fair enough. I'd definitely suggest driving both before settling on one. Despite my inclination to defend the 'Lude I've never actually bought one. I have bought a civic and three integras though. lol

In a perfect world I'd also want the lightest chassis with the best motor for my Honda dd . . .

Either that or a supercharged NSX

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
11/12/09 8:39 p.m.

MR2 or S2000 sounds like it might fit the bill.

I recently got a chance to drive a S2000 at a local autocross and it opened my eyes to the car. I knew they handeled good and were great autoX cars but I had no idea how good it really was.

Any generation of MR2 would work the AW11 being imho the coolest. I have been codriving one for a while its an awesome little car.

Watch out for the japanese girls. I was married to mine before I knew what hit me.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
11/12/09 8:56 p.m.

hmm... why exactly would one buy a car that they couldn't afford to insure and drive?

no further comment...

Zman
Zman New Reader
12/6/09 1:41 p.m.

Because amg-rx7, it's going to take me around 2 years to get it restored to the point where i'd be happy driving it at all. I love the car and it was cheap (because of it's condition). I knew a few others were interested in restoring it so I took the leap of faith and bought it. While I restore it and get it back to fit and fighting shape, I want a car that I can run around in and build up a NCB.

I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

On another note, the Honda S2000 is a gorgeous car and a worthy adversary to the RX7, just can't afford to insure it atm. Honda Jazz seems to be a good joice for new drivers, you can pick them up dirt cheap at the moment, or an EK civic...

Zman
Zman New Reader
12/6/09 1:42 p.m.

Oh yeah and sorry for the necro on this thread, haven't had a lot of free time recently and had forgotten about it :)

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LUbyV1rHrZ3JK17gh7XHcYhyfPoykSafGLFJvbRgUg5E2P1sDwsNVPFHMAzpJA3V